Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium Bromide and Trichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Sodium Bromide and Trichlor

If I were to use Sodium Bromide and Trichlor, I would have brominated water, not chlorinated water, correct?

Could I use this combination for hot tubs?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sodium Bromide and Trichlor

Here is the thread that covers Bromine use in spas: http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-d...pool-t102.html

Quote Originally Posted by 09659
    If I were to use Sodium Bromide and Trichlor, I would have brominated water, not chlorinated water, correct?
    Yes, if you put in the proper amount of Sodium Bromide then use the trichlor as the oxidizer, you spa will be a Bromine spa. However, as I understand it, there is really no advantage to using "stabilized" chlorine products such as trichlor and dichlor in a Bromine tub. In addition the trichlor will cause the ph to lower quickly. Better to just use liquid chlorine/beach.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by linen View Post
    In addition the trichlor will cause the ph to lower quickly.
    Couldn't I boost the alkalinity way up to combat this?

4. Back To Top    #4

No, in a spa high TA would result in way too high PH almost the instant the jets were turned on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you could carefully regulate the Trichlor, then you could set a TA where the rate of pH rise balances the pH drop from Trichlor acidity, but as Jason noted when the spa is used and the jets are running the pH will tend to go up quite a bit. The main way that is combatted is with a lower TA but that then reduces the amount of buffering against a drop in pH which the Trichlor will tend to do. So it increases your risk if you don't maintain that TA regularly. It's technically doable, but is regular maintenance not suitable to a service that doesn't visit very often.

Also, for Trichlor it dissolves more quickly in hot water so needs a special feeder that can be dialed way down, more so than required for bromine tabs that dissolve more slowly.

Remember that with Trichlor, for every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm and when the chlorine gets used/consumed, it also lowers the Total Alkalinity (TA) by 7 ppm. In a pool this is managed by a somewhat higher TA level and addition of pH Up (sodium carbonate), but in a spa with its low water volume, relatively high bather load, and sporadic aeration from jets, it can be harder to manage.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"