Liner Thickness

ssgumby

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 17, 2012
Maryland
Im researching liners for my upcoming DIY pool. My local pool builder suggests 28 mil wall and a 20 mil bottom. They say the wall should be thick so the stretch is minimal at that point and will not allow the patterns to distort, the thinner bottom allows for it to stretch better into the corners for a smoother bottom finish.

Is this legit or are they just trying to sell me what they personally sell?

The liner thickness doesn't make very much of a difference in that range. Thicker walls and thiner floor are considered good things, but really it is such a minor thing that it is unlikely to make any difference. The skill of the installer and how much you like the pattern will both make much more of a difference.

a 20 mil liner will stretch tremendiously more than a 27 mil will. Especially given the temperature. When it is warmer out and the pool is filled fast, by say a hydrant, the liner will stretch less on the walls to fit floor imperfections. If it is colder out, it is going to pull more from the walls, which results in a stretched tile pattern and just IMO looks really bad. The liner fitment can be off by about an 1" overall and you will not notice any imperfections. Make sure they use atleast two vacuums to get the liner to fit the best the first time around. Many pros can get by with just a single vac depending upon the step configuration. But regarding a liner made out of two different mil thicknesses is not really needed. Just choose either a 20 or 27 mil. 20 Mil does stretch the best for new liners in spring and fall.

The way it was explained to me when I built my pool was that the part of the liner that suffered the most abuse was the part that was out of the water and therefore you would benefit from having a thicker wall than bottom. To the me (first time DIY pool) it made sense so I ordered 30 mil walls and 20 mil bottom. If I remember correctly it did not cost that much extra.

Out of the 100s of pools I have built, the parts that are out of water only get ruined from an improperly stretched liner. Or one that is continuing to stretch from some type of settling. The liner that is in the water gets the most abuse. Constant contact with chemicals, vaccuums, and debris... is why they are always more faded and more brittle than the part that is out of the water, when you go to replace the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.