LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK, after a total refill of our newly reconstructed (Fiberglass lined over gunite) pool, I have been woring at getting my CYA up close to 50. A side effect that I am noting is that as the CYA levels increase, my pool appears more cloudy ... or basically just not as crystal clear (sparkly?) as pure water with lower CYA levels.

I assume this is normal? Is there a recommended additive of some sort that gets things "sparkly" clear again? or is such additives not recommended?

my figures (am slowly adjusting as temps are slowly warming up):

water temp = 62
CL = 5.0
CH = 210
TA = 80
PH = 7.5
CYA = 40

OK, then bear with.. When I "test" my CYA levels using the TFT Kit, I mix 50% regeant with 50% water .. then start filling my test tube until "I can no longer see the black dot at the bottom ... That is CLOUDY thereby obsucring the black dot .. with clear water, well, obvioulsly you see the black dot no matter how much water is added to the tube. So I guess when I say "cloudy" water, it is just not 'sparkly' clear like with no CYA conditioner added ... I mean I can still see the bottom & the drain ports etc .. it's not like I can't see the bottom or anything - but just notably not "sparkly" like water was w/o the CYA added. thanks.

When you are doing the CYA test you specifically add a chemical (the test reagent) that is designed to cause the water to turn cloudy when CYA is present.

You should not be seeing anything similar to that cloudiness in your pool, regardless of CYA additions. If your water is less than sparkling clear, something is going wrong, possibly minor, possibly major, but worth investigating in either case.

my point is that w/o any CYA in the pool at all, the regeant testing solution is obviolusly CLEAR - sparkly clear - as is the pool water ... As I've been slowly adding CYA over the last 6 weeks, that test now becomes CLOUDY in the tube as you fill it - to obscure the black dot ... and I just perceive a similar observation with the pool water ... it is no longer sparkly clear as when CYA was yet added to the water ... but again, not totally CLOUDY .. still looks great ... just no longer 'sparkly' clear. - most noticeable to me in the deep end looking at the drain.

Sounds like something may be trying to start grow in the pool if it is becoming cloudy.

Raise the FC up to shock level and perform the OCLT to see if that tells you anything.

that test now becomes CLOUDY in the tube as you fill it - to obscure the black dot ... and I just perceive a similar observation with the pool water
Any cloudiness in your pool is totally unrelated to the addition of CYA.

The solution in the CYA test becomes cloudy only when you add the R-0013 reagent.....there is no R-0013 in your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get a new FC reading now. In terms of testing, one won't affect the other. Any recent CYA addition could take a few days to a week to show up on the test.

Based on what I've read so far, my guess is that your FC level is still too low for the new CYA level. I would try maintaining an FC level 2-3ppm higher than what you were and see if that helps.

Hi guys .. OK, I finally got around to getting the results from my test yesterday. Results:

FC = 4.0 (after this, I added 82 oz of 8.25% bleach)
CC = 0
TA = 90
CYA = 50 (I finally got this up to 50 - had been 35-40 over last week)
CH = 220

Looks decent ... again, just not "sparkly" like it did prior to adding CYA (clear & fresh tap water). Just an observation ... Everyone says it looks great - just my own 'eye' I guess.

Thanks ...

So after the pool was filled it was sparkly. Then you started adding cya and running the pump it got a little bit cloudier? You may want to clean and inspect your cartridges

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.