Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CYA - seems to cloud water?

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA - seems to cloud water?

OK, after a total refill of our newly reconstructed (Fiberglass lined over gunite) pool, I have been woring at getting my CYA up close to 50. A side effect that I am noting is that as the CYA levels increase, my pool appears more cloudy ... or basically just not as crystal clear (sparkly?) as pure water with lower CYA levels.

I assume this is normal? Is there a recommended additive of some sort that gets things "sparkly" clear again? or is such additives not recommended?

my figures (am slowly adjusting as temps are slowly warming up):

water temp = 62
    CL = 5.0
    CH = 210
    TA = 80
    PH = 7.5
    CYA = 40
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA - seems to cloud water?

Adding CYA has never made my water cloudy, less clear, or less sparkling.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

OK, then bear with.. When I "test" my CYA levels using the TFT Kit, I mix 50% regeant with 50% water .. then start filling my test tube until "I can no longer see the black dot at the bottom ... That is CLOUDY thereby obsucring the black dot .. with clear water, well, obvioulsly you see the black dot no matter how much water is added to the tube. So I guess when I say "cloudy" water, it is just not 'sparkly' clear like with no CYA conditioner added ... I mean I can still see the bottom & the drain ports etc .. it's not like I can't see the bottom or anything - but just notably not "sparkly" like water was w/o the CYA added. thanks.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The water turning cloudy while performing the test is how the test works. I'm a little confused.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

When you are doing the CYA test you specifically add a chemical (the test reagent) that is designed to cause the water to turn cloudy when CYA is present.

You should not be seeing anything similar to that cloudiness in your pool, regardless of CYA additions. If your water is less than sparkling clear, something is going wrong, possibly minor, possibly major, but worth investigating in either case.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

my point is that w/o any CYA in the pool at all, the regeant testing solution is obviolusly CLEAR - sparkly clear - as is the pool water ... As I've been slowly adding CYA over the last 6 weeks, that test now becomes CLOUDY in the tube as you fill it - to obscure the black dot ... and I just perceive a similar observation with the pool water ... it is no longer sparkly clear as when CYA was yet added to the water ... but again, not totally CLOUDY .. still looks great ... just no longer 'sparkly' clear. - most noticeable to me in the deep end looking at the drain.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like something may be trying to start grow in the pool if it is becoming cloudy.

Raise the FC up to shock level and perform the OCLT to see if that tells you anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

that test now becomes CLOUDY in the tube as you fill it - to obscure the black dot ... and I just perceive a similar observation with the pool water
    Any cloudiness in your pool is totally unrelated to the addition of CYA.

The solution in the CYA test becomes cloudy only when you add the R-0013 reagent.....there is no R-0013 in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

OK ... thanks all ..

10. Back To Top    #10

As you're adding CYA, are you adjusting your minimum FC value upward?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes.

12. Back To Top    #12

You listed CL above. Do you have measurements for FC (Free chlorine) and CC (combined chlorine)?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have 1 that is a week old .. Let me get a fresh reading in the next couple of days after my recent additon of CYA "settles". Thanks

14. Back To Top    #14

Get a new FC reading now. In terms of testing, one won't affect the other. Any recent CYA addition could take a few days to a week to show up on the test.

Based on what I've read so far, my guess is that your FC level is still too low for the new CYA level. I would try maintaining an FC level 2-3ppm higher than what you were and see if that helps.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

15. Back To Top    #15

OK, will do ... and report back. Thanks !!

16. Back To Top    #16

Hi guys .. OK, I finally got around to getting the results from my test yesterday. Results:

FC = 4.0 (after this, I added 82 oz of 8.25% bleach)
    CC = 0
    TA = 90
    CYA = 50 (I finally got this up to 50 - had been 35-40 over last week)
    CH = 220

17. Back To Top    #17

Your test numbers look good (and you addition of chlorine should bring you up to ~6 ppm)...how does your water look?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks decent ... again, just not "sparkly" like it did prior to adding CYA (clear & fresh tap water). Just an observation ... Everyone says it looks great - just my own 'eye' I guess.

Thanks ...

19. Back To Top    #19

So after the pool was filled it was sparkly. Then you started adding cya and running the pump it got a little bit cloudier? You may want to clean and inspect your cartridges

20. Back To Top    #20

OK, thanks .. will do ... and we can close this thread ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast