LifeTime Supporter
Jan 18, 2013
Liverpool, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, new pool installed and opened at end of July 2012. I had not found this site yet, and used an inline chlorinator with tri-chlor tabs from startup until early Oct when I closed the pool. I do not know exactly how many tabs I used, maybe one a week...? Well, the pool has finally thawed, and I was using my new Taylor 2006 test kit, to try to get some experience with it. The chlorine level is 0, which I kind of expect with the pool closed/frozen for several months. But, I was also unable to get any CYA reading at all either.... We do get snow and rain, which would surely dillute it some, but, could it wipe CYA out completely? When I open the pool, I think I will have to drain off about 6 inches to get to normal operating level. Also, does CYA tend to be near the top of the water level, or is heavier and settles when undisturbed towards the bottom? I could only get my arm under the winter cover into about 10 inches of water....
Thanks!
I am planning for a BBB year!!!!

Did you test for CC? We see a few reports of CYA being converted to ammonia over the winter. This usually shows up as CC. And may take a lot chlorine to clear up.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

And sometimes.....it just simply disappears in winter too! Seems to be one of our favorite mysteries here. Low level biologicals I think. And once it's mixed, it's mixed-and it doesn't evaporate either.

Actually it will not show up as CC until after you add chlorine (FC), which may then quickly be converted to CC due to the ammonia. Alternatively you could get a test to see if there is ammonia directly, but that is not really needed. Chlorine will solve the problem and then you can add more CYA.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I got 0's for all chlorine FC,TC and CC. And the water was pretty cold when I tested it, at most 35 degrees.... Never thought of the coldness affecting the test results.

Thanks!

Most of the tests are fine when done with cold water. The CYA test is the only one that has any significant problem. When doing the CYA test it is best to let the water sample warm to indoor room temperature before doing the CYA test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.