Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA level low over winter

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA level low over winter

Hi, new pool installed and opened at end of July 2012. I had not found this site yet, and used an inline chlorinator with tri-chlor tabs from startup until early Oct when I closed the pool. I do not know exactly how many tabs I used, maybe one a week...? Well, the pool has finally thawed, and I was using my new Taylor 2006 test kit, to try to get some experience with it. The chlorine level is 0, which I kind of expect with the pool closed/frozen for several months. But, I was also unable to get any CYA reading at all either.... We do get snow and rain, which would surely dillute it some, but, could it wipe CYA out completely? When I open the pool, I think I will have to drain off about 6 inches to get to normal operating level. Also, does CYA tend to be near the top of the water level, or is heavier and settles when undisturbed towards the bottom? I could only get my arm under the winter cover into about 10 inches of water....
    Thanks!
    I am planning for a BBB year!!!!
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA level low over winter

Did you test for CC? We see a few reports of CYA being converted to ammonia over the winter. This usually shows up as CC. And may take a lot chlorine to clear up.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

And sometimes.....it just simply disappears in winter too! Seems to be one of our favorite mysteries here. Low level biologicals I think. And once it's mixed, it's mixed-and it doesn't evaporate either.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually it will not show up as CC until after you add chlorine (FC), which may then quickly be converted to CC due to the ammonia. Alternatively you could get a test to see if there is ammonia directly, but that is not really needed. Chlorine will solve the problem and then you can add more CYA.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Also, does CYA tend to be near the top of the water level, or is heavier and settles when undisturbed towards the bottom?
    Neither one. It is in solution and distributed evenly through the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

You probably have a low level to start but out of curiosity, how cold was the sample you tested? Really cold water can give you a false low reading.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

7. Back To Top    #7

I got 0's for all chlorine FC,TC and CC. And the water was pretty cold when I tested it, at most 35 degrees.... Never thought of the coldness affecting the test results.

Thanks!
    Upstate/Central New York. Roman style IG fiberglass pool, 13X33, 8800 gallons, installed July 2012. Pentair cartridge filter, 1 hp Pentair single speed pump. Taylor K2006 Test kit. Went BBB route in spring of 2013, no problems, no regrets!!!!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

Most of the tests are fine when done with cold water. The CYA test is the only one that has any significant problem. When doing the CYA test it is best to let the water sample warm to indoor room temperature before doing the CYA test.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School