QUICKLINKS TO TIME-LAPSE VIDEOS:

3D DESIGN VIDEO: new-build-in-phoenix-updated-4-20-13-t56532.html#p463960
    EXCAVATION: new-build-in-phoenix-updated-4-20-13-t56532.html#p466132
    PLUMBING: new-build-in-phoenix-updated-4-20-13-t56532-20.html#p472879
    REBAR: new-build-in-phoenix-updated-4-20-13-t56532-20.html#p473425
    SHOTCRETE: new-build-in-phoenix-updated-4-20-13-t56532-40.html#p474862
    PEBBLESHEEN:http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-b...0.html#p585167
    FILLING IT UP:http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-b...0.html#p585183

Hello!!! I have been following many of the threads on this site for about 6 months or so, gathering info on how I want to do my pool. Ive decided to do an owner-build rather than go with a pool builder. I have heard many success stories going this route and have some experience with semi-large projects, plus several of my co-workers have gone this route and say its the way to go. I am wanting to do a swim-up bar with an adjacent sunken kitchen and overhead ramada, a small grotto, a baja entry step, and a spa with a tiered-down stone overflow. Definitely a large and costly project. I did go to two local pool builders originally to get an idea of what they would charge, and was "sticker shocked" when their estimates came in (YIKES!!!), so I decided to do it myself and cut out the middle-man markup. If I can stay within my budget, I will probably save 30-40 percent of what the pool builders were going to charge. I will admit, I am a little nervous about doing this on my own, but I am pretty sure I can pull this off. If anyone has questions, comments, or any advice they can offer to help me out or get me thinking about things then PLEASE do so!!! I will try and throw up as many photos as possible along the way. Here is the design and 3D rendering:

[attachment=0:szsy0995]03.08.13 Pool Sketch-redacted.jpg[/attachment:szsy0995]

[youtube:szsy0995]Lg09oaH6iFo[/youtube:szsy0995]

Over the past several months, I put together a drawing which I submitted to a local "Build Your Own Pool" company (Dont know if we can use their names, but that is pretty much the name they use). They refined it a little and so far have been great to work with. They have put me in touch with many contractors and have their own whosale pool equipment company. They put together an equipment list and theres no pressure to buy from them in case you find some stuff cheaper elsewhere. I have elected to go with the Pentair family of pool products. Im somewhat of a Google guru, so I did manage to find the majority of the equipment much cheaper...Now before you start thinking about internet purchases warranty stuff, I did call Pentair and was assured by them that their manufacturers warranty applies to all of their equipment regardless of where it was purchased, as long as they are an authorized dealer and I send in the necessary warranty info. So heres the list of equipment I am going with:

3 Pentair Intelliflo VS (011018) pumps
    Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520 (160332)
    Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU (460736)
    Pentair Easytouch 8 with IC40 cell (460736)
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite (pool)
    Pentair 5G Intellibrite (spa)
    4 Pentair Globrite (grotto, baja step, barstools, cove next to grotto)
    4 Pentair Magicstream Laminars
    2 CMP 36" water shears
    Paramount PV3 In-floor heads (steps and benches only)
    Paramount Venturi skimmer
    Paramount Water Leveler
    Paramount MDX-R3 drain with SDX side drain
    Dolphin M4 or M5 robotic cleaner (havent decided yet)

I am only doing in-floor heads on the steps and benches because I am not sold on their cleaning effectiveness, just want them to blow the dirt and junk down to the floor and let the drain/robotic cleaner do the rest. Most of the equipment is already here and layout was done on friday, waiting for the city to hand me the permits so I can start digging. When this is all done, I hope posting all of this helps anyone wanting to go the owner-builder route. Ill post quick links at the top of this post so you can jump right to the different build phases.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Build in Phoenix

You can make the photos smaller in any editor, including Microsoft Picture Manager ... just resize them to reduce the size.

Are you bar stools going to be on a step (kind of looks like it in the picture)? I was going to recommend the floor jets around them as well as I have read of robots not being able to navigate around the stools and getting stuck.

Looks like it will be a very nice pool!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You can make the photos smaller in any editor, including Microsoft Picture Manager ... just resize them to reduce the size.

Are you bar stools going to be on a step (kind of looks like it in the picture)? I was going to recommend the floor jets around them as well as I have read of robots not being able to navigate around the stools and getting stuck.

Looks like it will be a very nice pool!!!
    Yes the stools are on a step and the in-floor heads will be between them. I am also told the robots won't get in there. I'm hoping it won't get stuck in there or it will kind of defeat the purpose of throwing it in and letting it do its job while I go attend to other things.
    21000 Gal 36x18 IG saltwater pool with swim-up bar, grotto, and hot tub time machine. 3 Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair 400k BTU Mastertemp Heater, Pentair Easytouch 8 with remote, 4 Pentair Laminars, Pentair Intellibrite and 4 globrites. Party on Wayne!!!! Pool is OPEN!!! GO SUN DEVILS!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

Before pics:
    [attachment=2:34607wn2]IMG_1113 web.jpg[/attachment:34607wn2]

And after ripping everything out and layout:
    [attachment=1:34607wn2]IMG_1115 web.jpg[/attachment:34607wn2][attachment=0:34607wn2]IMG_20130318_144042_524 web.jpg[/attachment:34607wn2]

Permit should be in hand by Wednesday at the latest!!! More to come...
    21000 Gal 36x18 IG saltwater pool with swim-up bar, grotto, and hot tub time machine. 3 Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520, Intellichlor SWG, Pentair 400k BTU Mastertemp Heater, Pentair Easytouch 8 with remote, 4 Pentair Laminars, Pentair Intellibrite and 4 globrites. Party on Wayne!!!! Pool is OPEN!!! GO SUN DEVILS!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress. We're having a pool built by Presidential right now and so farthe experience has been a good one.
    --22k gallon pool/spa, IG, pebble w/ glass beads/abalone, all tile spa w/ stacked stone and spillway, 30 sf waterfall, 3 telescopic fountains, EZ Touch 8
    --Pentair VS3050, Whisperflo waterfall pump, Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Ozone, Q360 in-floor cleaning, 400k btu heater
    --100 perim ft pool, 25 perim ft spa, Depth 3.5' to 7', 405 sq ft travertine decking, TF100 test kit
    --Time Lapse Video of our Pool Build ---- Our Pool Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

Tap Tap Tap....Equipment anxiously awaiting to go to work!!! Dig starts Tuesday, I hope!!![attachment=0:14e5ukv3]IMG_20130324_155629_398-web.jpg[/attachment:14e5ukv3]

7. Back To Top    #7

Lol...seems as though the excavator' ears were burning!!! My dig got moved up to tomorrow!!! Woohoo! Here we go! I will have time lapse video posted tomorrow

8. Back To Top    #8

Can't wait to see this pool build!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Starting to look like a pool!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

I really didn't think your yard was that big, until I see that last pic with the excavator in there. WOW! Kinda puts it all in a new perspective. lol

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, finally got the time-lapse video put together. If anyone wants to know what I used for this, i'll list it below:

Camera: Brinno TLC100 (custom setting: 1 pix every 5 seconds)
    Software: Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

[youtube:4h61tway]IW91bZJE03c[/youtube:4h61tway]

12. Back To Top    #12

Re: New Build in Phoenix *UPDATED 3/25*

Are the stacked stone in front of the spa going to be your steps to get out on that side? How much room is it between your spa and the fire bowls? Would someone have to get out of the pool on the south side and walk all away around to join soneone one the north patio. Maybe a step out on the west ledge would be good.
    McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12 scuppers on 12 x 31 raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...t56120-40.html

13. Back To Top    #13

Cool, the video turned out nice. Looking back i wish I had taken a pic at least every 5 seconds but I was worried the phone memory would fill up too fast. Definitely learned some lessons for future time lapse videos.
    --22k gallon pool/spa, IG, pebble w/ glass beads/abalone, all tile spa w/ stacked stone and spillway, 30 sf waterfall, 3 telescopic fountains, EZ Touch 8
    --Pentair VS3050, Whisperflo waterfall pump, Clean & Clear 520 cartridge filter, Intellibrite 5G LED lights, Ozone, Q360 in-floor cleaning, 400k btu heater
    --100 perim ft pool, 25 perim ft spa, Depth 3.5' to 7', 405 sq ft travertine decking, TF100 test kit
    --Time Lapse Video of our Pool Build ---- Our Pool Build Thread

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by txsteel
    Are the stacked stone in front of the spa going to be your steps to get out on that side? How much room is it between your spa and the fire bowls? Would someone have to get out of the pool on the south side and walk all away around to join soneone one the north patio. Maybe a step out on the west ledge would be good.
    The whole area on the spa side is going to be +24" above grade. The fire bowls are on each side of the spa and elevated another 12". Yes if you get out of the spa you have to walk around the pool, either through the kitchen or around the grotto.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by JimboAZ
    Cool, the video turned out nice. Looking back i wish I had taken a pic at least every 5 seconds but I was worried the phone memory would fill up too fast. Definitely learned some lessons for future time lapse videos.
    Yeah Jimbo, definitely a learning experience with time lapse video. Ive really been wanting to break in this Adobe Premiere Pro software so this pool project is a perfect test run.

16. Back To Top    #16

Gas lines being put in today for pool heater, BBQ, fire pit, and fire woks.... Its only been a week into the project, but it seems like it is taking so long!!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Passed gas inspection today, FINALLY! Plumbing starts Monday, ill have another time-lapse video up when it gets done!

18. Back To Top    #18

Your pool is looking great so far. Thinking of going the owner build route. Can you recommend, tell me the company who is helping you find contractors etc? Thanks!

19. Back To Top    #19

The company I went with is Build your own pool in Mesa http://www.buildyourownpool.co

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by gumby6506
    The company I went with is Build your own pool in Mesa http://www.buildyourownpool.co

The link is correct, its not a ".com" site

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast