Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: leslie's pool guy not keen on salt water pools!

1. Back To Top    #1

leslie's pool guy not keen on salt water pools!

I took my tap water in to be tested....

There was a guy in having his water tested and he has a salt pool and I asked how do you like it and he said I like it but its eating my flagstone! Really bad. He said he has sealed it twice and it is still eating it....

Great! NOw that I just had my equipment installed last week!!

Anyway, then Leslie's guy started in on the salt pool issues and how they are not easier to maintain, and cause alot of issues.

Wow... now I am scared again....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: leslie's pool guy not keen on salt water pools!

1: I wouldn't trust too many pool store employees - maybe the Mom and Pop ones that have be in business a long time, but not anyone from Leslie's or the other chains. (too many stories on this site where they generally don't seem to know what they are talking about)

2: We went with a cholrine pool, but have several neighbors with Salt. One converted theirs to chlorine because their flagstone was starting to have issues with the salt water. The other 3 neighbors have not had any issues with their flagstone. It seems to be an issue here in Texas with flagstone, I would recommend you seal the flagstone yearly - maybe in the spring before pool season starts. Some people seem to have issues, others don't. I also don't know if any other conditions contribute to this besides the salt also (poor overall water balance, amount of splashing, etc.)

3: Have not heard of any issues with maintaining the SWG pools - from what I can tell - it really is easier as you don't have to add bleach every day - the neighbors around me with SWG pools are not the do it yourself types and they don't seem to have any issues with maintaining their pools.

4: If you haven't already - buy a TF-100 test kit that can be found from this site and get the speed stir also.

Steve
    20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by shuye

2: We went with a cholrine pool, but have several neighbors with Salt.

FYI,

A salt pool is a chlorine pool
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by shuye
    3: Have not heard of any issues with maintaining the SWG pools - from what I can tell - it really is easier as you don't have to add bleach every day - the neighbors around me with SWG pools are not the do it yourself types and they don't seem to have any issues with maintaining their pools.
    Steve
    Take that with a grain of salt though, some people are oblivious to water quality.
    I know pool owners that have absolutely disghusting water and they think it's just great - invite all sorts of people over - water is great, just a little sudsy, but don't worry it's only a problem with the filter.
    Ya....it's the filter
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

SWG pools are not necessarily EASIER to maintain in other aspects but they are darn sure easier to keep a constant chlorine level....which is THE MAJOR issue in keeping your pool sparkling.

If you manage your water chemistry properly, you will probably not have many issues with either type. Water mismanagement will bite you whether or not you have an SWG.

The erosion of SOME types of stone (seems mostly in Texas) is a drawback to SWG's but it's localized.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I am in Texas! We used oklahoma wister flagstone and it will be sealed. So, I am hoping for the best.

I just ordered my test kit today so I am ready to learn and keep things great and in line so hoping to enjoy all advantages of the salt water!

Thanks again for your help.... KIM

7. Back To Top    #7

We have two different friends in our neighbor hood that have flagstone pools done by our builder. One has had no problem at all while the other has had some flaking and erosion of their flagstone. One has salt and the other doesn't. It's the one with out salt that is having the issues. After what I have read I believe more of the issue is proper balance and especially PH.
    McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12 scuppers on 12 x 31 raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...t56120-40.html

8. Back To Top    #8

txsteel- wow, interesting! I am hopeful with a good sealer and good chemical monitoring I can have no issues! Remind me, are you getting salt?

9. Back To Top    #9

For me, maintenance is FAR easier with a salt pool. Hauling bleach to keep my 44,000 gallon pool balanced was a major pain you know where.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

I've had my SWG installed for two years now and I have travertine coping and I haven't experienced any problems yet. I sealed it with a highly recommended sealer (very expensive--like $75 or so a gallon) and I try to remember to wash the coping and decking down with fresh water every now and then between rains.

On the ease of maintenance with a SWG, it is pretty easy, but as others have said it's not maintenance-free. I'm still adding acid every week to 10 days or so and after heavy rains you have to top up the salt, CYA, and Borates. But all said, I wouldn't have a pool without an SWG.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

A note, borates are not required for a salt water pool, so not everyone has to think about borates.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Pool stores don't like salt pools because with a salt pool they don't get to sell you chlorine. I love mine.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

13. Back To Top    #13

Kim, don't be scared. That's exactly what the Leslies guy was trying to do, scare and sell.....oldest trick in the book.

If you haven't already, just read all the wonderful threads in the SWG section. Glad you got the test kit, that is the key. I will be interested if your flagstone starts eroding away......with the proper levels, I don't see how....there is so little salt in that water. It's so much easier to correct chemical levels with a SWG by adding a little something here and there to keep levels exact.

I bet after you have read Pool School about 5 times you could go to Leslies and have a question and answer session and you would be right more than them on basic chemistry questions.

And I agree that pool stores hate SWG pools, think of how many chemicals they could sell you after they sell you pucks that totally mess your chemistry up......

Bob E.

14. Back To Top    #14

Pool boys don't like them either. You essentially have no need for them anymore.

I've been thinking about this. I have a theory. Is it possible that those with etching are not controlling the pH swings from the SWG, and allowing the water to become caustic enough to etch the stone?

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    are not controlling the pH swings from the SWG, and allowing the water to become caustic enough to etch the stone?
    No. PH doesn't swing with a SWG. If anything it goes up. The high PH is not what bothers stone, it is salt crystalizing in the pores of the stone which breaks it apart (if the stone is softer than salt).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

By swing, I meant pH goes up fairly rapidly compared to a pool with no SWG.

OK, gotcha on the salt. I don't have to bother, I have 1950's clay tile around mine. I love it. It's just a little slick. Ok, maybe it's a lot slick.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Not all pool stores don't like to sell salt. I love it. It creates service calls.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

18. Back To Top    #18

Chlorine is a salt so if you use it you have a salt water pool.....I swam in a cruise ship and swam in a salt water pool pumped in from ships pumps

73's from eastern Iowa cornfields
    18ft 52in deep doughboy 8000 gallons
    22 in sand filter
    1 1/2 pump
    tk-2006 test kit that rocks!
    12.5% chlorine
    aqua critter vac

19. Back To Top    #19

Wow, lots of votes for salt! I am happy to hear that yet again. That is why I decided to go this direction, it definitely seems more people love thier salt pools than dislike. Adding a bit of acid once a week and checking your chemicals is nothing! We are having our stone sealed and the slide I am getting is a typhoon sr smith slide that doesn't have metal parts.. says salt freindly... so I am excited about the feel of the water that I hear so much about and I will keep a close eye on everything.

Thanks again for your very helpful comments! KIM

20. Back To Top    #20

I have never owned a SWG but I add salt to my previous above ground pool and the water feels like silk! Very nice and easy on the eyes!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter