Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hiring pool installer

1. Back To Top    #1

Hiring pool installer

Okay, so I've decided on the pool and equipment, now on to hiring someone to install.
    I've talked to a few people already and it has me worried about finding someone who will do the job right. Some guys give really vague information, some never return calls, some say they don't need to look at the yard first even though it's sloped. Am I worrying needlessly?
    What are some specific questions I need to ask potential installers? Are there any particular red flags to watch for?
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hiring pool installer

The first thing I'd ask is if there is an install that they did that I could look at.
    Then I'd ask how much of a slope will they grade out before there's an upcharge.
    Then, whether they use rigid or flex PVC.
    Finally, do they provide the pad for the equipment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You could ask them to go over the whole install with you. There are alot of videos on YouTube of installs. Watch some and compare.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Do they guarantee within 1" of level.
    What material will they use for base.
    What happens to the material pulled from site (ie: sod).
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

You are not worrying needlessly. Get EVERYTHING in writing (dates, materials, extremely detailed cost breakdown, approach, warranty/guarantee, what happens if/when they have delays on their side (or on yours) and who pays, or damage to your property, etc, etc)!!!! We had a horrific installation from a company who was very personable during the initial sales process but were nothing short of a bunch of hacks who created significant damage to the property and the pool, and the delays were endless. Do not agree to a high percentage up front of as phases are complete, you're not buying a partially done pool, your buying a complete working product. It doesn't do you any good to have an 80% complete pool. Get multiple references and ask a lot of questions, be on-site and take lots of pictures and document. Good luck!!
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

6. Back To Top    #6

ALso, if your reasonably handy you can install your own, I did mine and saved $2500.
    Lots of videos online showing the process.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

I wish we could do it ourselves, we just don't have the time or the know-how. DH is not a handyman and has just started a new position at work that's requiring more time.
    Sharkline Matrix 28', Pentair SD80 sand filter, Pentair Optiflo 1hp/2spd pump, Intellichlor ic40 (installed 7/2013)

8. Back To Top    #8

BamaRambler,
    What is the preferred method, flex or rigid PVC?

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, what type of pad should be used for the equipment?

Getting ready to start calling a list of potential installers and I keep thinking of more questions.

10. Back To Top    #10

They might just use patio pavers for the equipment. You can do what ever you want

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Should I be concerned about an installer who says he does not need to look at the site prior to installation? Maybe if he's done enough of them he's confident that he'll know what's needed once he gets here.

12. Back To Top    #12

What Info did you give him about your yard? How much out of level is the place where your pool is going? Some installers charge extra if its out of level more than five inches. I know installers that charge up to $25 an inch in anything over five inches out of level.

Jeff

13. Back To Top    #13

Each potential installer I call I'm telling them that the pool site is sloped. I'm not sure exactly how out of level it is, but I would estimate 24-30 inches. (photo attached)[attachment=0:3mbl301h]pool site.jpg[/attachment:3mbl301h]
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

That's what it looks like to me. Personally I would want them to come look at the site to see what you've got how else do they know what their dealing with.

Jeff

15. Back To Top    #15

Rigid PVC is preferred but flex will work.
    If I were going to install it I'd definitely have to look at the site before I gave a bid.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

yes, i would be concerned about that. unless your yard is completely/perfectly flat and you are certain there are no underground utilities (electrical, gas, sewer/septic, etc.). retaining walls may be needed, zoning setbacks need to be considered, location of pool equipment to the pool/house/etc.), how will they get equipment into the area?
    10k gallon fiberglass freeform pool, Paramount SwingJet system, Dolphin DX5 robot, Pentair 48" Tagelus sand filter with glass media, WhisperFlo 1 HP pump, Hayward H200FDN natural gas heater, TF-100 Test Kit, and, of course, Margaritaville Tahiti blender!

17. Back To Top    #17

How are you getting electricity to that spot?

18. Back To Top    #18

cramar,
    The pool site is about 100 ft. from the electric box in our house. We're planning to rent a trencher ($150 all day), dig the trench ourselves and hire an electrician to put a GFCI at the pool site. I'm thinking an extra outlet would be smart, too. I've talked to a couple of electricians, but haven't decided on one yet.

19. Back To Top    #19

Don't forget about the pool bonding also. You'll want the second outlet, plus it might be code. What type of cord do you have to have on your pump, 3 prong or twist lock? Your electric code will tell you what you need. What ever you do don't use an ext. cord for pump.

Jeff

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by afreil
    cramar,
    The pool site is about 100 ft. from the electric box in our house. We're planning to rent a trencher ($150 all day), dig the trench ourselves and hire an electrician to put a GFCI at the pool site. I'm thinking an extra outlet would be smart, too. I've talked to a couple of electricians, but haven't decided on one yet.