LED question.

May 23, 2009
We are currently on our second pool build. The gunite is in and we are waiting for tile to be installed this week. The first pool we did had a traditional pool light so the LED is new to us. That being said our neighbor is also in the middle of a pool build, only about a week ahead of us. They also are getting LED lighting. They're fixture looks just like it would for a traditional light, as far as size and placement. Where our lights are going there is just a PVC pipe, and they are high up, where they will be just under the waterline tile. Just wondering if anyone had seen anything like this before.
I'm going to ask the PB about it today, I just wanted to get some feedback here as well.
Is it possible they are using the shallow water lighting as our regular pool lighting?

Not sure about placement, but I do know that the LED fixtures give off less light overall than incandescent bulbs. That is why we chose to use two LED fixtures in our build over just putting one traditional light. We also went with a full sized LED fixture in the spa, rather than the smaller Spa LED fixture.

Just talked to PB. He said they are using the Pentair Glo Brite LEDs. Which are the smaller shallow water/spa versions. He said they use two of these versus one full sized, because it lights the entire pool this way.

The GloBrite lights are fairly new and about 1/3 as bright as the larger IntelliBrite lights. They are much easier to install, which has raised their popularity with builders significantly above what you might expect for a new product.

I have the Savi melody lights, they are 5 color LED and are installed in a standard return fitting. The back side of the fitting has a 14inch piece of straight CPVC conduit then a CPVC 90 degree bend then CPVC run to the transformer. These can be mounted as shallow as 4 inches below the waterline.
We like the look and 2 light up the pool very nicely.

That's good to hear, thank you! We're using a very reputable PB and we are trying to trust them and not ask a lot of questions. It's difficult because we did not have a pleasant experience with our first pool build with a different PB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.