Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anybody using one of these?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anybody using one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/Jandy-Ei-Chlorine ... +for+pools

The installation looks like a breeze.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anybody using one of these?

I looked at those but if I remember correctly you have to replace the cell every 6-12 months.I think the cell costs a couple hundred bucks.I would verify that as it's been quite awhile since I looked at those.
    Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I'll check that out.
    16 x 32 15300 gal. IG Vinyl Jandy pump, Jandy sand filter, Paramount circulation system, Automatic pool cover.

4. Back To Top    #4

From what others have posted the install is reasonably easy, but not dramatically easier than installing a regular SWG. You still need to drill holes in a section of pipe and you have to have a long enough clear run of pipe where you can install the unit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I should have searched before posting but got excited I guess. I see you use the AutoPilot unit. Any problems with that?

6. Back To Top    #6

I've been very happy with my AutoPilot unit, especially since I stopped using the Total Control features and dropped back to the DIG-220 model. I have also heard really good things about their Nano unit. Keep in mind that the DIG-220 is more expensive than most, though it makes up for it with some nice extra features.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I couldn't find anything concrete about having to replace the cells yearly.I did find that you can get a 1,2or 3yr warranty depending on which vendor you buy from but I couldn't find out exactly what parts are warranted for the 2 &3yrs exactly.
    Rob

Cozumel AGP 24' 14,700 gallons
    Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp pump
    Sta-rite Cristol-Flo II 2.3sq.ft. sand filter
    SWCG,Uni-bead liner
    Borates
    TF-100 Testkit....$68,cheap insurance for a trouble free pool season

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I have seen a few and most of them leak.
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, 18" Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    I have seen a few and most of them leak.
    Good point. There must be some kind of seal where the parts clamp together and that would be a good place for a leak.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    From what others have posted the install is reasonably easy, but not dramatically easier than installing a regular SWG. You still need to drill holes in a section of pipe and you have to have a long enough clear run of pipe where you can install the unit.
    Jason - dumb question, but can you explain what you mean by "regular SWG"? I have one of these in my setup (except mine is hard-wired, so it's not that exact model) - PB's choice and I didn't question it. I'm just curious now how this differs from other SWGs.

btw - HoleInOne - I've only had the pool for one season, but so far have not had any issues with the Jandy.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5

11. Back To Top    #11

In both cases (Ei and conventional) the control unit is mounted to a nearby wall. In both cases there are complications if you don't have a sufficiently long section of straight pipe where the call/sensor can be installed.

With a Jandy Ei you drill four holes in the pipe (at a specific spacing) and then clamp the cell and sensor packages onto the pipe. The control unit then plugs into an outlet.

With a "conventional" SWG you cut out a section of pipe and then glue the cell (and depending on brand sensor package) onto the pipe. The control unit is then hardwired to the timer/automation unit/switch/circuit breaker (or other power source depending on situation).