Stenner Pump Choice

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
I am absolutely torn in trying to decide which Stenner pump to get. Either a 3 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi, or a 10 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi. Well hey man, no problem. What's your daily chlorine useage? "Wait.., what? I don't know." What do you know? "Well, that in 138 days of pool operation last year with an LQ, I used 164.5 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach." Wow, that sounds like a lot. "Yeah. My FC comfort level is 8-ish." O.k., by my math that equals an average daily useage of 114 ozs a day. So I would recommend the 3 gallon Stenner pump. "It's not that simple, that's an average over a pretty good length of time with extreme temperature/sun conditions. Also I'm upgrading to a 2 speed 1.5 hp pump this year with a 10 event timer." O.k. Do you think you used more than 3 gallons a day at any time during those 138 days? "No." All right then, I will hold my ground and reiterate my 3 gallon pump recommendation. "But, (and here's the question) is there any advantage to running a bigger pump for a shorter period of time as far as wear and tear on the pump itself? Is it a real mechanical advantage or a perceived comfort level?"

You only want to be injecting chlorine with a Stenner pump while the main pump is running. That means a 3 gallon/day Stenner with a 4 hour main pump run time can inject a maximum of 3 gallons / 24 * 4 or 64 oz a day, which is clearly not enough.

Changing the pump shouldn't change the chlorine usage.

I'd be running the pump 24/7 on low speed, injecting 10 times during the hours of daylight. Once it's dialed in I'm sure I would never go over 3 gallons a day. I'm still leaning towards the 10 gallon, running the Stenner for shorter periods of time x 10.

I would go for the 10 gallon. If you would like, I have a XLS that I can post in which you can put various settings in that will show you ppm increase with run-times etc based on the rate of the pump. I put it together for my build and found it helpful.

For your enjoyment. I am a bit of an 'info geek' when analyzing these types of efforts. I hope you find the attached useful!

(This was saved to XLS from XLSX for compatibility. If it is not working let me know and I can upload the XLSX version)

Attachments

• BleachCalcs.xls
    40 KB · Views: 241
DonW said:
I am absolutely torn in trying to decide which Stenner pump to get. Either a 3 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi, or a 10 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi. Well hey man, no problem. What's your daily chlorine useage? "Wait.., what? I don't know." What do you know? "Well, that in 138 days of pool operation last year with an LQ, I used 164.5 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach." Wow, that sounds like a lot. "Yeah. My FC comfort level is 8-ish." O.k., by my math that equals an average daily useage of 114 ozs a day. So I would recommend the 3 gallon Stenner pump. "It's not that simple, that's an average over a pretty good length of time with extreme temperature/sun conditions. Also I'm upgrading to a 2 speed 1.5 hp pump this year with a 10 event timer." O.k. Do you think you used more than 3 gallons a day at any time during those 138 days? "No." All right then, I will hold my ground and reiterate my 3 gallon pump recommendation. "But, (and here's the question) is there any advantage to running a bigger pump for a shorter period of time as far as wear and tear on the pump itself? Is it a real mechanical advantage or a perceived comfort level?"

When it comes to pump sizes, the only difference between the 3gpd pump and the 10gpd pump is the tube size (3gpd has #1 tube and 10gpd has #2 tube). Our tubes are universal so, you can convert one to the other simply by changing the tube. That said, a shorter run-time with the 10gpd pump versus a longer run-time with the 3gpd won't have any noticeable effects on the pump so you shouldn't have to worry about that when factoring what pump you want.

I hope this helped in your decision.

So it seems the 10 would be better because I can get the job done quicker and save energy. I think the pump draws less than 2 amps so it's not that big a deal though. My pool pump runs 12 hours so I could use a 3 or a 10 and it seems the only consideration would be the amount of energy used. Am I missing anything?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.