Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump Choice

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump Choice

I am absolutely torn in trying to decide which Stenner pump to get. Either a 3 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi, or a 10 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi. Well hey man, no problem. What's your daily chlorine useage? "Wait.., what? I don't know." What do you know? "Well, that in 138 days of pool operation last year with an LQ, I used 164.5 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach." Wow, that sounds like a lot. "Yeah. My FC comfort level is 8-ish." O.k., by my math that equals an average daily useage of 114 ozs a day. So I would recommend the 3 gallon Stenner pump. "It's not that simple, that's an average over a pretty good length of time with extreme temperature/sun conditions. Also I'm upgrading to a 2 speed 1.5 hp pump this year with a 10 event timer." O.k. Do you think you used more than 3 gallons a day at any time during those 138 days? "No." All right then, I will hold my ground and reiterate my 3 gallon pump recommendation. "But, (and here's the question) is there any advantage to running a bigger pump for a shorter period of time as far as wear and tear on the pump itself? Is it a real mechanical advantage or a perceived comfort level?"
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.
    200 lb. Sand Filter w/Hayward PowerFlo MATRIX 1.5 H.P. 2 Spd. pump
    Stenner Injection Pump System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump Choice

You only want to be injecting chlorine with a Stenner pump while the main pump is running. That means a 3 gallon/day Stenner with a 4 hour main pump run time can inject a maximum of 3 gallons / 24 * 4 or 64 oz a day, which is clearly not enough.

Changing the pump shouldn't change the chlorine usage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd be running the pump 24/7 on low speed, injecting 10 times during the hours of daylight. Once it's dialed in I'm sure I would never go over 3 gallons a day. I'm still leaning towards the 10 gallon, running the Stenner for shorter periods of time x 10.
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would go for the 10 gallon. If you would like, I have a XLS that I can post in which you can put various settings in that will show you ppm increase with run-times etc based on the rate of the pump. I put it together for my build and found it helpful.
    18,000 Gallon IG, Pebble Sheen, Quartzite coping
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection
    TF100 + PoolCalculator + This Site!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes please, and thank you.
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.

6. Back To Top    #6

For your enjoyment. I am a bit of an 'info geek' when analyzing these types of efforts. I hope you find the attached useful!

(This was saved to XLS from XLSX for compatibility. If it is not working let me know and I can upload the XLSX version)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Pentair 420 Cartridge Filter, 2HP Silencer, 400,000 BTU Heater, Platinum Legend Cleaner
    2x IntelliFlo VS pumps - Screenlogic Interface - Stenner 45MPHP10 15 Gal Bleach Injection

7. Back To Top    #7

Good stuff! Thank you!
    18' x 33' AGP
    16,715 gal.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by DonW
    I am absolutely torn in trying to decide which Stenner pump to get. Either a 3 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi, or a 10 Gallons per day, Fixed Rate, Single Head, 100psi. Well hey man, no problem. What's your daily chlorine useage? "Wait.., what? I don't know." What do you know? "Well, that in 138 days of pool operation last year with an LQ, I used 164.5 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach." Wow, that sounds like a lot. "Yeah. My FC comfort level is 8-ish." O.k., by my math that equals an average daily useage of 114 ozs a day. So I would recommend the 3 gallon Stenner pump. "It's not that simple, that's an average over a pretty good length of time with extreme temperature/sun conditions. Also I'm upgrading to a 2 speed 1.5 hp pump this year with a 10 event timer." O.k. Do you think you used more than 3 gallons a day at any time during those 138 days? "No." All right then, I will hold my ground and reiterate my 3 gallon pump recommendation. "But, (and here's the question) is there any advantage to running a bigger pump for a shorter period of time as far as wear and tear on the pump itself? Is it a real mechanical advantage or a perceived comfort level?"
    When it comes to pump sizes, the only difference between the 3gpd pump and the 10gpd pump is the tube size (3gpd has #1 tube and 10gpd has #2 tube). Our tubes are universal so, you can convert one to the other simply by changing the tube. That said, a shorter run-time with the 10gpd pump versus a longer run-time with the 3gpd won't have any noticeable effects on the pump so you shouldn't have to worry about that when factoring what pump you want.

I hope this helped in your decision.
    John Nguyen, CWS I
    Sales and Applications Engineer
    Stenner Pump Company

9. Back To Top    #9

So it seems the 10 would be better because I can get the job done quicker and save energy. I think the pump draws less than 2 amps so it's not that big a deal though. My pool pump runs 12 hours so I could use a 3 or a 10 and it seems the only consideration would be the amount of energy used. Am I missing anything?
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012

10. Back To Top    #10

You have more 'headroom' with the bigger one. Because it runs less, you can run it longer if needed. Also, the less it is running in theory the less wear and tear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks rj, That makes sense.
    Pete
    15,000 gallons IG pebble, Sundek plus Luederstone, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter with SM-20-2 valve, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, Pentair EasyTouch 4 panel, Pentair KreepyKrauly Platinum cleaner, Stenner 45M fixed 10 GPD pump with 15 gallon tank, new pool startup 10/2012