Curious about Ecostar verses Intelliflo

Mrlittlejohn

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 17, 2013
I have found several threads from 1 to 2 years ago about these 2 choices of pumps with variable speed motors.

I am seriously thinking about replacing my current single speed system to save money on my electric bill that is killing me. My current pump doesn't seem to be moving water as well as it used to also. The comments about the ecostar was all about it only being out for a short time, although had a more efficient set of numbers. We now have another year of it in use and wonder how it is faring.

Any input or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

The EcoStar has been doing well, and it is noticeably more efficient at low speeds, about the same at higher speeds.

There are two other considerations. If your electric rates are less than about $0.20/kWh then the extra up front cost of a variable speed pump is not likely to ever pay back. Also, if you have an automation system and are getting a variable speed pump there are significant advantages to getting a pump of the same brand as the automation system.

I called my power company yesterday to inquire about the cost. During the summer, my max rate is like $.12 per KWH. So it may not benefit me at all then?

I do not have an automation system. As a matter of fact, I am looking to buy a robotic cleaner to help avoid debrees from building up and give me problems like I just encountered with the staining issues that I am battling right now.

I am really tired of this pool system and regret having it put in. It is there now and I have to make the best out of it. I want to do it the most economically possible.

Thanks for your input again Jason.

Mike

Very nice news Jason.

How are the sta-rite pumps? Should I replace my pump and motor assembly? I may need to. I will look into the 2 speed pumps and see what is out there. Any suggestions on what to lean toward or stay away from?

Thanks,
Mike

If the wet end of the pump is in good shape, then you could just replace the motor with a 2 speed .... that is the cheapest option.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I really am not sure about the wet end of my pump. I am afraid that it is getting weak. I have to finagle it to get good suction to vacuum quite often anymore. I know that the impeller can be replaced, but I understand there is a seal to do also and it is a pain to do. I am not sure if this system is worthwhile to repair and upkeep or if there are better systems out there to go with. That is what I am trying to figure out and I am not too well educated on pumps. I am mechanically capable to do any of the work and prefer to learn it and install it to reduce costs.

Thanks,
Mike

I would tear into the pump you have before I decided to just replace it. Replacing the existing motor with a 2-speed isn't a big job and since you have to take the wet end apart to change the motor it's an easy task to change the seal while you're in there.

How old is your equipment?
What is the model of the pump?

Now for the most important part. I understand your frustration with the pool right now and i know why that is. Believe me, if you read this site and follow the recommendations found here you'll soon become a lot less frustrated with your pool. You will find out that owning a pool can be a joy instead of a headache every time you look at it. It's all about learning the important things, what causes things and how to handle them. And just as importantly how to avoid the problems in the first place.

Thanks Bama for the reply. The pool was put in the fall of 2005. As for the pump that I have, it is a single speed P2RA5E-181L pump with a 1.5HP single speed motor. I have attached a picture with some info that I found on the model. I see on the chart that I obtained from here http://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-60265- ... pumps.aspx , that I should have a 1HP motor. I replaced the original motor in 2006 and thought it was a 1.5HP, I had a pool company come out to replace it. In 2008, I had the bearings replaced on the current pump with the startup capicitor replaced last year.

What I need to do is move forward. I need to figure out what impeller to buy to freshen it up with the seal replacements. I need to see about a 2 speed motor to replace my current single speed.

Any input on how to best configure my setup is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all,
Mike

Attachments

• Pool pump model.jpg
    Pool pump model.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 79
I have found new Century (used to be AO Smith) 2 speed pump motors that are direct fit replacements. The 1HP(to .13HP) is $429 and the 1.5HP(to .19HP) is $489 for the motors. What would the overall value of this motor replacement with another $150 or so to replace parts in my pump (that I need to figure out exactly what parts to get yet) be compared to purchasing an entire Ecostar for just a little over $1000 be?

This is what I am trying to determine. I want to be economical, but as wise as I can be.

I humbly apologize for being so wishy washy as I do not know what is my best solution.

Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unless there is something wrong with the impeller you have there's no need to replace it. Since that impeller is sized for a 1hp (1.25sfhp) motor you should replace the current motor with a 1hp 2-speed model (assuming you didin't replace it last time) and just replace the seal. The motor you need is a UQS1102R. Here's one I found, and Here's the seal.

It's really your choice if you want a variable speed pump. I believe in gettting what you want, even if it doesn't make sense to anyone else.

Have you also added rebates into the equation? Online pricing for an Intelliflo VS is about $900.00. Subtract energy efficiency rebates of $100 - $500 and it could be cheaper than buying a new motor. For me, the rebate was $200.00.

JasonLion said:
Killer95Stang said:
Subtract energy efficiency rebates of $100 - $500
Only available in some areas.

Exactly !

And here is Georgia, GA Power is not interested in me spending less on my energy bill. I do have a email in to them inquiring if they do have a rebate or are going to any time soon.

As for my impeller and the HP rating. I believe my configuration was with a 1.5 HP pump when installed. When I looked my pump up online for parts, I saw impellers for all HP ratings. I am not sure if my impeller is operating properly or not as the vacuum suction has been so skeptical the last year. That is why I am thinking I need a new one. And then do I match the impeller to the motor rating? If so, I will buy a 1HP impeller and a 2 speed motor. I found these direct bolt in 2 speed motors, http://www.poolplaza.com/C-AO-Smith-2Gr ... -5005.html

Mike

You really won't know if there's anything wrong with the impeller until you take the pump apart. It's rare for an impeller to be broken and the pump not vibrate or make a noise indicating somethings wrong. It could be clogged and that's easily fixed. I wouldn't buy an impeller until you've torn into the pump and seen what's happening. Once you're into it you can find the part number on the impeller and that'll tell you which one it is.

However, if you buy a 1 hp motor then you need a 1 hp impeller to match it. Putting a larger motor on a smaller impeller won't hurt anything but putting a smaller motor on a larger rated impeller will.

What HP motor should I use with my system? I am right at 15K gallons, being a 16X32 pool with 3' shallow and 5' deep end depth.

I would like to know what the min to max should be and advantages of higher HP ratings.

Thanks all

As long as you don't have a spa or waterfall or other major water feature, there is no point in getting a pump larger than you need. Larger pumps use more electricity to do the same work and cause the filter to operate just a little worse.

A 1 HP two speed should be just about perfect. Low speed is ideal for circulation, and high speed is available if you need it for things like vacuuming and backwashing the filter. I do just fine with a 1/2 HP WhisperFlo, but then WhisperFlo pumps are larger than nearly anything else of the same HP rating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.