How to vacuum algae settled to bottom without stirring it up

Jun 12, 2007
North Carolina
We never covered our pool this winter, and I actually think it's the cleanest it's ever been upon "opening". There isn't near as much algae as we've had in the past and this time, it's a thin layer settled on the bottom. Is there any way possible to vacuum it without stirring it all up? I know as soon as I turn the pump on, it's going to stir it up.
:?

I just thought of something. If I get the pool to shock level, will that get rid of the algae that is settled on the bottom? Or is vacuuming it the only way to get rid of it?

Re: How to vacuum algae settled to bottom without stirring i

The algae on the bottom is most likely already dead. If not, then adding chlorine will kill it. In either case it will remain settled on the bottom until it either gets vacuumed up or stirred up enough to get pulled into a skimmer or drain.

If turning on the pump is enough to stir it up into the water, then it should get caught by the filter eventually. Your only other option is to vacuum it up (very carefully) with the main valve set to waste (which unfortunately drains the pool fairly quickly).

Vacuuming successfully without disturbing debris on the bottom is PAINSTAKINGLY slow. :rant: I usually lose patience after a few minutes and just let it stir up. As JasonLion says, the filter will pick it up and it keeps my blood pressure within acceptable limits :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone. I'm just thrilled that I can clearly SEE the bottom and that the algae isn't several inches thick like it's looked in the past. It's just a thin little layer. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.