Cleaning spa?

What's the best way to clean an in ground spa? I have a pool sweep (the pool cleaner) but it obviously won't work in the spa so I get lots of pebbles and debris on the bottom. I've tried draining the spa but I can only drain to the bench which doesn't take care of the debris on the bottom. Battery operated pool vac? Someone told me I could extend my pool sweep hose and remove the sweep and just use the hose on the bottom of the spa?

Thanks in advance

I am in the same boat - considering a Polaris Spa Wand or other suction based hand tool to get out all the little bits of pebble etc in the corners. Let me know if you have any great luck with anything and I will do the same.

I set the valves to draw from the spa and empty into the pool, then use a brush to sweep things into the spa drain.

In my setup, reversing the valves and then vacuuming usually gives me enough time to clean the pool before it starts overflowing. The lack of return to the pool makes it a lot easier to manually vacuum!

The Spa wand actually does work pretty well, after all that is what it is designed for. But it does get a little tiring and tedious, but if its the little debris you are after, it will do the trick. Otherwise, you can vacuum like richard320 said. The other option would be to drain it completely and use a shopvac to suck out any remaining water/debris.

Ok - after hands on experience with the spa wand I pretty much confirm everything that is said above.

A few general observations:

1) Possibly the most over engineered product ever. The debris canister is minuscule compared to the massive handle.
2) What is this made of? It looks like painted paper machet. I am hoping it's painted fiberglass maybe? Why not just colored molded plastic?
3) It works, but again I would imagine only for small jobs. I need it for picking up pebbles from my pebble finish & gravel patio that fall in the spa. It does pick that up very well.
4) I can't imaging using this for a BIG cleaning job. For that I would hook up a hose and vacuum.
5) For what I need it for - quick cleanups of very little debris - I am glad to have it.
6) Did I mention that the debris canister is TINY?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.