Polaris 280 making odd noise at connection when not running

RickyEarl

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2012
Dallas, Texas
My Polaris 280 is making an odd sound at the connection, but only when it's not running but the pump is. The sound is an odd high-pitched pulsing whine- almost like a whistle.

It does it even with the hose disconnected. It goes away when I cover the hole in the blue restrictor with my finger (basically when I plug it up). I removed the restrictor completely - same noise.

Just started today. Is this something to worry about?

I recorded it with my iphone and tried to attach the file, but the board wouldn't accept and .mp3 attachment and all the other formats are too big for the 256k limit. But if someone knows a way to do it, I'll post it.

Thanks!

Re: Polaris 280 making odd noise at connection when not runn

Ive seen on a few setups where the pump cavitates when the cleaner isn't hooked up. Has to do with the pump not having enough restriction. Is there any pump noise at the booster pump?

Re: Polaris 280 making odd noise at connection when not runn

Hi! I'm not sure i clearly understand what you are saying.

Try uploading your video to Photobucket, and then you can post it here....

Does that sound right to you? I swear i hear something that doesn't sound quite right....

So when the shark is disconnected, you are getting the sound at the connection point in the pool?

Is your shark connection point above or below water? (mine is below)

My booster pump sounds like it's going to explode when it is turned on with shark not connected. But i don't hear any noise pool side.

Water normally flows out of my shark connection pipe. Actually water flows through my booster pump normally as well.

Hi RickyEarl, I know this post is over a year old, but I just started having the exact same problem. My pool guy just came by and removed the restrictor, and it seems to have gone away, but after reading your post, I am not convinced the problem has been fixed. Did you ever find a solution?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.