Used Hydrogen Peroxide for Removing Metal Stains - Results

Re: Used Hydrogen Peroxide for Removing Metal Stains - Resul

Well, I do still have the few historic stains that never initially responded to the AA treatment in cold water last fall...but then again, if I'm not going to leave it for a few days, and with my water being 50 degrees right now...not sure if I should bother?

Using Hydrogen Peroxide to remove metal stains

I was browsing this forum and reading that hydrogen peroxide can be used to remove stains, instead of using citric acid; and it's much cheaper, which really makes me happy.

But I have a few questions:

1. How do you calculate how much hydrogen peroxide to use?
2. Do you run it through the filter, or do you just recirculate?
3. Do you add sequestrants (sorry if I spelled it incorrectly) (we use ProTeam's Metal Magic) at the same time?

Thank you.
Laura

Firstly my apologies I have been a little busy the last few days and have not looked at these posts.

I would agree that the many posts I have written are not too clear as to the exact process required. I will put together an additional post together to outline the exact process I think seems to work. This may be a few days away.

But here are a few pointers:

"The Hydrogen Peroxide and Ascorbic Acid Method - Operational Guide"

Why this seems to work:

Perhaps the main advantage of using Hydrogen Peroxide is that it removes scale which is the real underlying issue with iron stains as the scale, because it is tacky, acts as a kind of trap/magnet to these metals not allowing the regular HEDP sequestrant to do its job fully. This is my opinion only and will only be proved over the next six months or year or so. But I do now have a very white scale free pool.

Another way of thinking of this is what happens when you clean an iron tool of rust. After you remove the rust from the surface it is nice and shiny again, but over time the iron oxidizes to rust and your stain reappears. With Ascorbic Acid you have removed the layer of rust so the pool looks clean but underneath is Calcium and Iron scale and perhaps Phosphate scale, this then rusts again and despite little iron being added to the pool you get re-staining. With the addition of the HP method (removes scale and iron) to the excellent AA method (which dissolves Iron and perhaps other minerals so that HP can more easily remove it with the aid of the sequestrant) you are removing the garden tool (think scale) nearly completely so hopefully it will take a long time for stains to re-occur.

So let me state right from the beginning that using a slightly modified "Ascorbic Acid Treatment" with the "HP Method" to my way of thinking should be far superior to just the "HP Method" alone because of the Ascorbic Acid's ability to make iron dissolve so that it can then be sequestrated by the HEDP and then re-constituted by the HP for removal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly this has only been tested on a saltwater pool, indications are that saltwater helps this process. Freshwater chlorinated pools have not been tested so if you do this method in your freshwater please post your results for others to see, thank you. Also for this to work you do need to have either iron, manganese, and copper, or their oxides and/or orthophosphates in sufficient quantities for it to work (quantities as yet unknown) as the aforementioned ingredients act as a catalyst to the Hydrogen Peroxide. Without these ingredients in high enough levels it might not work.

Please remember this may take 1,2, or 3 treatments before all is done. It will not get rid of underlying organic stains (organic staining underneath scale) for this you will have to wait 4 to preferably six weeks to shock your pool for 1 to as long as 5 to 7 days if they are bad.

1. The colder the better, anything under 77F should work, under 70F will be much better.

2. Bring HEDP sequestrant level to 42 ppm. two bottles of "Jack's Magic Purple Stuff" per 10,000 gal. I do not know the quantity for "Metal Magic".

3. If using Ascorbic Acid (Highly Recommended) then make sure the pH is 7.2 - 7.3, if not using Ascorbic Acid lower pH to 6.8. Ph lower than 6.8 is recommended for better results.

4. The 3% Hydrogen Peroxide amount is 221 ozs for each 10,000 gallons plus the pre-treatment chlorine ppm level times 21 oz, if you are using 27% HP then divide these number by 9. Pour this around the pool, not through the skimmer. Preferably allow your pool cleaner to mix it.

More Hydrogen Peroxide will not make it more effective so do not waste your money.

Note 1: Do not use Thiotrine to lower your chlorine levels the HP does that and also acts as a sanitizer, albeit not as good as chlorine.
Note 2. The higher the Hydrogen Peroxide % the faster it loses its effectiveness over time, so check the "good by date" or "expiration date" do not use old bottles, or ones that have been sitting in the pool store collecting dust.

5. Do not use Algaecide 60, make sure you Free Chlorine is holding with less than 0.5 difference, before effecting the treatment. Well you could use Algaecide 60 but I think it might interfere with the HP and you will need more chlorine later to get your pool back to the right level of Free Chlorine.

6. (Very Important) Add the HP in darkness, sunlight destroys it, allow it to mix in your pool for two hours (it takes that 2 hours before it will start to work in the water) before adding Ascorbic Acid, after 2 hours at a rate of 1lb minimum (for heavily stained pools 2 lbs would be good) for 10,000 gals. Remove pool cleaner before adding Ascorbic Acid, or if not using AA still remove it.

7. The HP only is effective for up to 7 hours after that it stops doing it's job so (Very Important) before sunrise add 2 1/2 to 3 "182 oz jugs" of Plain Liquid Chlorine/Bleach per 10,000 gals to get your chlorine levels up to about where they were before the treatment. Then check your chlorine levels after 4 hours to adjust, if too high they will go down.

8. Do not continue the treatment into the next day as Hydrogen Peroxide is destroyed by sunlight and you do not want to get an algae bloom.

9. 3 hours after sunrise backwash your filter, then backwash it again in the evening.

10. You can repeat this treatment again that same night if nearly all the stains appear not to be totally gone (by this I mean a really white pool for plain white plastered pools), and again the next day. BUT if you do so remember to add a box of 76 oz Borax to up the pH to 7.1 per 10,000 gals. Also you might need to add sequestrant, you will only know this if you have a sequestrant test kit, get this directly from "Palintest", 1-859-341-7423, it is less expensive and the chemicals solution will be current for 2 years. If no test kit add one more 32 oz bottle of sequestrant. If you live in say West Texas and have really, really bad scaling issues you may be looking at a lot of repeat treatments, but I would still prefer this over an acid wash any day as this is far less damaging to the pool finish. And yes I have had an acid wash, and never ever again will I do that.

Note: Strongly recommend you do not buy sequestrant test kit from pool store as you will have no idea how old the sequestrant testing chemical "Thorium Nitrate" is, its useful life is 2 years.

11. Wait 4 days after treatment to check your CyA reading as it may give you a false low reading, by this I mean 80 ppm may only read 50 ppm for a few days, although you actually have 80 ppm, of which 30 ppm went dormant but will return. See post below for what happened to me.

Note: I add borax by sifting it through a wire colander into a large bowl, then I fill a 16 gallon tub with about 12 gallons of water by the side of the pool, then I add the 76 oz of borax and stir it vigorously and immediately pour it around the pool in a small bucket. It seems to mix into the pool without leaving any trace, and avoids the issue of localized high pH. But you must make sure your pool cleaner is put back in to stir it up.

Additional Borax note: If you want to neutralize the Borax to effect the "Adding Borates to Your Pool" you can pour 36 oz of Muriatic Acid into this 12 gallons mix of water and 76 oz of borax mentioned above and stir that with a spoon. When I do this most of the powder dissolves and the pH of this adjusted water is hand safe. This then becomes pH neutral as far as the pool is concerned so again no issues with localized high pH

Warning: Never add water to acid only acid to water

My experience is that if you have been using an HEDP sequestrant for a long time you probably have fairly high orthophosphate levels, so the first treatment will work primarily on getting these levels down with some effect on the of iron, manganese, and copper stains. The use of ascorbic acid will help a lot in the removal of metal stains more so than just HP alone, these will then either oxidize or be removed by the filter backwash, the second treatment will do the same again but this time it will work more on the scaling issues, and the third treatment should have gotten rid of most if not all the calcium, calcium phosphate, or iron phosphate scaling. And it seems to me that the iron is gone and I do mean gone I do not think it is even in solution in the sequestrant, or if present there is very little there.

If you have not been using an HEDP sequestrant then maybe 1 or 2 treatments might work.

After this if you have iron issues from win born sources then use the balance above for a pH of 7.3, if no wind born source then keep pH in normal range balance, unless of course you use a lot of fill water with iron. Try to keep your CSI and LSI in negative numbers around -0.10 to -0.20. I believe that keeping a slightly higher alkalinity number also helps with scaling, so if you had to choose between higher alkalinity or higher calcium go for higher alkalinity. Also as chem geek wrote if you do not have a dog that drinks from the pool (borates can kill a dog) adding borates to a level of 50 ppm will help you maintain a relatively stable pH despite an SWG. heater, and higher alkalinity.

Hope this helps.

chem geek,

Update 1:

The CyA must have been crystalized or something. I checked yesterday after adding 30 ppm, a few days ago, to the measured level of 50 ppm to up it to 80 ppm, well it read slightly over 100 ppm, my guess around 110 ppm. So the 30 ppm did not get flushed out but went into some form of temporary hibernation for 3 or 4 days.

Now I had to up my Chlorine to 7 ppm, and will wait for the CyA to naturally drop as I do not want to drain 20+% of my pool. I think some time ago Jason Lion wrote of this happening in some cases.

Well lesson learnt next time I do a "Hydrogen Peroxide and Ascorbic Acid Treatment" I will wait 4 or 5 days before adding any Cyanuric Acid, and live with the temporary inconvenience of upping the Chlorine percentage on the SWG, and then check the level.

Update 2:

The temperature on the last treatment was 75F not 78F as I wrote, I will correct the post above to reflect that.

Thank you.

Smallpooldad, you write that more hp than what you used will not be more effective. Just curious where you got that info? There was a pool po on another thread who referred to using 5 litres for 50,000 litre pool, aka about 1.3 gallons for 13,000 gallons. That's what I was basing my number on.

If I use your approach, by comparison, I'd be adding about 24 oz per 10 k right? Let me know. Thanks! Thanks also for the extra info!
Cheers, sw

Swampwoman,

See this post, spelt wrongly, "Phosphate Removal - Odd and Cheap Discovery?" posted: March 19th, 2013, 5:16 pm:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/phospate-removal-odd-and-cheap-discovery-t56560.html

Read Page 1 with chem geek's analysis of the optimum amount and that I hope will explain it, although more I guess would not hurt but a lot more you would need to ask chem geek as I am not a chemistry wiz kid.

And yes 24.5 ozs of 27.5% HP per 10k gallons, plus 2.33 ozs for each ppm of chlorine measured prior to the treatment.

I think that other poster on the 1.3 gallons was not sure what HP they used but it seems to me they were most probably using 3% or they would have stated a special product. So about 166 ozs of 3% or 18.4 ozs of 27.5%, a little less than me.

Hope this helps, good luck, and let us know the results.

As I wrote in this post, the paper said that H2O2 concentrations up to around 5 ppm improved phosphate removal but higher concentrations did not though this is inconsistent with the optimal molar ratio they report later on. So 5 ppm is the base amount of hydrogen peroxide that is added and the additional amount per initial FC is to remove the chlorine.

chem geek,

An update, a link that might help, and four questions.

It seems I must have measured the CyA incorrectly. I did indeed lose 30 ppm of CyA in the process going from 80 to 50. As you know I replaced the missing 30 ppm CyA with more CyA to up it to 80. Then I thought the CyA measured at 100+, possibly 110, this is not correct, I re-measured again and the CyA is indeed 80 ppm so I did lose it. How I made the error of thinking it was 110 I do not know. But it was a heavily overcast day when I did the tests, twice, and this may have caused the error(s).

Your recommendation of 50 ppm Borates to control the pH rise has worked wonderfully, no rise at all in 3 or 4 days, the pH is holding steady at 7.3.

This link from the "US Peroxide" company is interesting it discusses the many benefits of Hydrogen Peroxide with links to articles, among them it refers to iron removal and the need for a sequestrant:

http://www.h2o2.com/products-and-se...hnologies.aspx?pid=112&name=Hydrogen-Peroxide

The first three questions that follow are based on a great thinker of the 9th century, Ibrahim an-Nazzam, and his opinion that doubt "was the first requirement of knowledge." So I am doubting my own statement and others papers that more HP is not needed in an ongoing quest to simplify and reduce the amount of treatments for myself and others.

First question, in your reply to Swampwoman you stated the molar figures were different in that article, if one used the other molar figure what then would be the optimum dose of HP per 10,000 gallons?

Second question, as the optimum figure was based on a boiler and a SWG pool has other chemicals in it such as relatively high levels, compared to a boiler, of Salt, Calcium, and Cyanuric Acid, would these reduce the oxidization potential of HP and could Swampwoman be correct that more HP might be needed?

Third question, if one did not use Ascorbic Acid, but simply reduced the pH during the process to say 6.7, do you think it would be as effective at removing Iron and Calcium Scaling? Most articles on the removal of scaling simply mention the use of Muriatic Acid, and a slightly lower than neutral pH, indeed one article I think I sent, states a pH of 6.6 is significantly more effective than a pH of 6.9. This if true would then reduce the cost as one would not have to use Ascorbic Acid.

Lastly the fourth question, if one has 50 ppm of Borates in the pool, how much lower if anything can one reduce the FC by based on a CyA of 80 ppm?

Thank you.

Anyone else trying this procedure should keep in mind that smallpooldad has very unusual water chemistry and has only tried the procedure a couple of times. Many of his instructions are based on rather speculative interpretations of a very low number of examples in situations that are quite different from what most people have. Do not assume that anything described here will work the same way on your pool.

It would be great if more people will try this out and report their results. Just keep in mind that all of the details are highly speculative for now and subject to significant change as more information comes in.

smallpooldad said:
First question, in your reply to Swampwoman you stated the molar figures were different in that article, if one used the other molar figure what then would be the optimum dose of HP per 10,000 gallons?
Who knows. Look, these scientific papers sometimes have inconsistencies in them and as far as what works for a pool it might be different depending on conditions. I have no idea what is ideal. This is something we just have to experiment with ourselves. I suggest just starting out using the concentrations you used that seemed effective. If enough people use this technique, then some can experiment with different amounts to see if more works better/faster.

smallpooldad said:
Second question, as the optimum figure was based on a boiler and a SWG pool has other chemicals in it such as relatively high levels, compared to a boiler, of Salt, Calcium, and Cyanuric Acid, would these reduce the oxidization potential of HP and could Swampwoman be correct that more HP might be needed?
Again, no idea. Most likely those other chemicals aren't affecting hydrogen peroxide that much. pH probably has more of an effect on the chemistry than anything else, but again we have no idea what works ideally except from the general guidelines described in the papers and what you have experienced.

smallpooldad said:
Third question, if one did not use Ascorbic Acid, but simply reduced the pH during the process to say 6.7, do you think it would be as effective at removing Iron and Calcium Scaling? Most articles on the removal of scaling simply mention the use of Muriatic Acid, and a slightly lower than neutral pH, indeed one article I think I sent, states a pH of 6.6 is significantly more effective than a pH of 6.9. This if true would then reduce the cost as one would not have to use Ascorbic Acid.
For calcium scaling alone, ascorbic acid probably provides no value. It's acidic conditions (a negative saturation index as well as low pH on its own) that helps to dissolve scale. There are some chemicals such as metal sequestrants that might speed things up as well. But a reducing agent such as ascorbic acid shouldn't be needed.

For iron stains, a reducing agent is generally needed since one needs to convert the ferric form of iron to ferrous form so that it more readily dissolves into the water. The lower pH helps to dissolve oxides-hydroxides by forming water as a product while the reducing agent converts ferric to ferrous so that it dissolves in water and can move away from the precipitated stain. The open question is whether hydrogen peroxide alone would be effective for this or whether ascorbic acid is really needed. It seems from your results that ascorbic acid does help with iron stains so probably speeds up the process more than hydrogen peroxide alone. As a reducing agent, ascorbic acid (+0.06V) is stronger than hydrogen peroxide (-0.695V) against ferric iron (+0.771V). What makes the hydrogen peroxide unique is that it is also an oxidizer so can cause precipitation of the iron after it's removed from a stain and if orthophosphates are present, then these can precipitate with that iron to physically remove it.

smallpooldad said:
Lastly the fourth question, if one has 50 ppm of Borates in the pool, how much lower if anything can one reduce the FC by based on a CyA of 80 ppm?
Unknown. We generally say that the FC/CYA table doesn't change in the presence of 50 ppm Borates, but there are some algicidal properties from the borates. We've just never quantified it. It's probably not very much and I doubt it would allow one to lower the ratio by a factor of 2, but there is probably some effect. When I added borates to my pool when it still had high phosphate levels I noticed it seemed to be somewhat less "reactive" to nascent non-visible algae growth when the FC got too low, but I never quantified it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

chem geek,

Thank you for the reply that just came in.

Thought this was interesting from "US Peroxide" company. It sort of re-states what you wrote that the iron has to be in a soluble form, for Hydrogen Peroxide to convert it into a form that then turns into rust large enough to have the sequestrant remove it through the filter.

http://www.h2o2.com/industrial/appl...me=Iron-Metals-Removal-with-Hydrogen-Peroxide

This being the case then Ascorbic Acid does need to be used to turn the iron scale into a soluble form and not just HP as HP will only convert a soluble form into rust particles large enough for removal.

What is interesting though is that near neutral pH is ideal even slightly alkaline will remove more so maybe starting the AA treatment at a pH of 7.4 might provide even better results, but as I got good results starting at a pH of 7.3 I think I will leave it there.

In my own case I believe that both the "Calcium Iron/Phosphate Scale" and iron are nearly all gone. One reason I believe this is the case apart from no scale being present whatsoever, that I can see, is that after the last treatment I accidently added too much chlorine raising it to 15 ppm. I believe that according to the "AA Method" instructions normally this would have caused iron to fall out of solution and start to re-stain the pool, this did not occur.

After "5" treatments, I have concluded by personal experience and observation that:

- It works best with AA
- That when enough Iron is present it does reduce the orthophosphate level
- That even when orthophosphates are reduced to 1,500 ppb from over 60,000 ppb it will still remove iron, and "Calcium Iron/Phosphate Scaling"
- If no Iron and/or orthophosphates are present it seems from most papers that it will not remove pure "Calcium Scaling", iron and phosphate has to be present in the scaling or in the pool in a soluble pool
- As I had already removed a fair amount of iron in the first "4" treatments I think that so long as iron is present in the scaling it will continue to do the job
- So my conclusion is in agreement with that of the "US Peroxide" company that so long as iron is present it can be dissolved, then changed by the HP method into a filterable rust so long as a good sequestrant (HEDP) and/or floc ( the "US Peroxide" company states this is acceptable) is used and removed to the filter and backwashed
- In my own experience what the "US Peroxide" company has stated,"Oxidizes ferrous iron, manganese, arsenic, and selenium to improve their adsorption, filtration, or precipitation from process waters and wastewaters", will occur with this process (please read all their papers if you need more information) has occurred in my pool which had iron
- So it seems if you have "Calcium Iron Scaling" or Calcium Iron/Phosphate Staining" this method is a winner and a keeper especially as most of the iron seems to be and, according to the "US Peroxide" company, is appears to be mostly gone from the pool and not left to stain again in solution. Although pools with wind born iron issues might be well advised to still keep their pH at 7.3 and higher than normal sequestrant levels

Thank you.

smallpooldad said:
This being the case then Ascorbic Acid does need to be used to turn the iron scale into a soluble form and not just HP as HP will only convert a soluble form into rust particles large enough for removal.

What is interesting though is that near neutral pH is ideal even slightly alkaline will remove more so maybe starting the AA treatment at a pH of 7.4 might provide even better results, but as I got good results starting at a pH of 7.3 I think I will leave it there.
No, you are still missing the fact that hydrogen peroxide is also a reducing agent, not just an oxidizer, when it comes to iron. This is how iron is able to catalyze the destruction of hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide can reduce ferric iron to ferrous iron and then oxidize it from ferrous iron back to ferric iron. With each reaction, hydrogen peroxide gets used up. It's just that the reducing effect is milder, especially for existing iron stains and that's where ascorbic acid works better.

H2O2 + 2H+ + 2e- ---> 2H2O ..... E0 = +1.776V OXIDIZING AGENT
Fe2+ ---> Fe3+ + e- ..... E0 = -0.771V

H2O2 ---> O2 + 2H+ + 2e- ..... E0 = -0.695V REDUCING AGENT
Fe3+ + e- ---> Fe2+ ..... E0 = +0.771V

NET: 2H2O2 ---> 2H2O + O2

The dissolving of calcium carbonate scale works better at lower pH, but the precipitation of iron is greater at higher pH. So these are competing goals for setting the pH. Perhaps having the pH be low during iron stain and calcium carbonate removal and then slowly raising the pH might work to filter out more iron and phosphate. The trick in all of this is not to create new metal staining as the pH rises.

chem geek,

It seems I did both, albeit entirely by accident, by which I refer to two HP treatments, one at a pH of 7.3 and the next at 7.0 with no Ascorbic Acid. The other three were done with 1lb of Ascorbic Acid each time at a pH range of 6.6 to 6.8, based on a start of around 7.3. That is why maybe the iron went out on the two slightly higher pH treatments of 7.0 and 7.3, and the scale went away after three treatments below 6.8.

Although they are still very close to the neutral pH of 7.0.

Perhaps for persons having problems with iron in their fill water the no AA method at a pH of around 7.3 to 7.4 might be good, when they are topping up their pools assuming they are otherwise iron stain free.

Thank you for response and the suggestion to do the first one with HP and AA at below a pH of 7.0 and the second using only HP at a pH between 7.3-7.4.

Initial experiment results -- Warning, YMMV!

Background: due to well water with iron and a steady diet of jack's all last summer, my non-swg vinyl pool has orthophosphate readings of 25,000 ppb (note, that's per billion, not million, and with our aquarium kit, we're diluting 10:1 so there's lots of room for inaccuracies.) I'm not especially concerned about the orthophosphate level, but did want to try a hydrogen peroxide treatment to see if it might alter the remaining mild iron content and offer a more economical treatment of phosphates for those who wish to reduce same without resorting to the expensive commercial reduction treatments available.

I altered the treatment from that written here based on other thread/board comments and a mfg recc volume of product. I did not want to under treat and skew the test since I only intend to try it once.

So, I used 27% hp from a product called softswim c clarifier (which is really just hp, and which is used with biuguine pools.) The dosage rate was a gallon per 10,000 gal, so I used 2 gallons.

I dropped the ph to 7.0 and also added 1.5 lbs ascorbic acid. (That was all I had left.)

I left the pool overnight with this solution. I had previously added 2 bottles of jacks magic pink on startup, and had added another botte for good measure yesterday. I had already added polyquat 60 on startup and my borate level is about 45 pm, as is my cya, not that any of that maters.

My results ths morning were:

Iron - 0 ppm
Chelated iron - (half hour test) 0 ppm

Orthophosphates: 20,000 ppb (note, billion, not million, diluted as described to arrive at this Calc.)

So, in my case, if the tests are actually correct, I appear to have removed 2 ppm iron through this treatment and about 20% orthophosphates.

I will not bother to repeat the experiment, as at about $36 for 2 gal softswim and I'm guessing it will take about 8 gal of 12% chlorine now to re-stabilize the pool and destroy the hp (will report when finished) the cost-benefit for phosphates is negligible. So four more treatments to remove orthoph would not actually be cheaper than using commercial phosfloc which has the advantage, I believe, of a single treatment without endless "get the chlorine to hold" battles.

Historic stains:
- these were only mildly lightened, though I'm running the bot now to see if they lift off more
- stairs and drains are bright and shiny white ...which any well be contributed to the AA

Opinion: I think this might be a valid method to remove iron from water, but cannot be certain. Attempt at your own risk in terms of time and money.

For removing orthophosphates, I suspect lathanum might prove more cost effective, at east under my own condition. Smallpooldad's experiments suggest otherwise, however, in his case.
Cya did not change, btw.

In my case, I used mfg recc amounts of hp (although for baquacil pools) because I was then comfortable the results would not be damaging to equipment, liner, etc.

It should be noted that shocking a pool will also oxidize iron and that some will then be filtered out, so hp is not the only method of removing iron. However, I liked the idea of the combo of oxidize and reduce offered by hp because it seems possible that unlike an AA treatment where the re-introduction of chlorine risks re-staining as the ph rises, perhaps the HP will not (provided the tests on free and chelated iron are accurate -- and the iron is truly GONE.)

I will update on what happens -- if anything -- over the next few days.

Cheers :)

Swampwoman,

Firstly, thank you for going to the expense and trouble of doing this treatment, and for being so good as to report back, so few people report back.

I was glad to read that your HP and AA treatment went reasonably well and that the iron in the water at least seems to have been removed. This after all is the main point of the exercise as AA alone will not remove iron.

What test kit did you use for the iron? Unfortunately Taylor will no longer ship Iron Test kits to Hawaii as they stated they are regulated for air travel.

As you wrote the AA was a little on the low side, at 1 1/2 lbs for the size of your pool. Additionally AA loses its potency over time, if indeed yours was a somewhat dated. This might have contributed to the lack of removal of "historic" stains, or it might be that the HP was spent up mostly removing the iron in solution from the pool. A little more AA may have helped, as some papers have suggested more HP is not necessarily a benefit in this process but a lower pH created by the AA is of benefit in removing iron in solution, stains, and scale. Allowing HP to come in contact with scaling be it iron or phosphate scaling, although you did start a lower pH than I did, .

It could be that, as a number of researchers have noted, that having salt in the water improves the results as regards phosphate and scale removal. I am not sure if your pool is saltwater or not.

Once the iron is gone a second treatment with enough AA and HP might help in removing "historic" stains or scaling, unless these "historic" stains are organic and then only higher levels of chlorine over a long period of time, or shocking at a later date might help.

Concerning removing as much phosphate as I did this could as you mention need more treatments. Although lower phosphates are not a prerequisite for a well balanced pool, therefore not really necessary.

I do suspect that adding Algaecide 60 might interfere with the process somewhat, I have no proof of that as I have not used it. But it also requires that you add additional liquid chlorine to counteract the Algaecide 60 affects on it to lowering chlorine levels, and thereby increasing your overall cost. HP itself acts as a sanitizer, albeit not as good as chlorine itself, so I think Algaecide 60 is unnecessary. As all operations are done in darkness an algae bloom should not be an issue. But in your case I believe it was already in the pool before you decided to do this HP and AA treatment.

As for how much chlorine I added after the treatment, using the amount of HP I used for 10,000 gallons, two bottles of 184 oz of Walmart liquid bleach brings backs the chlorine to about 8 ppm, with no holding problems, so long as you had no problems holding chlorine before in your regular pool operation. No were there any iron separation problems with iron settling out and re-staining the pool as might occur doing only the AA process. I once added 3 bottles when having a senior moment, I am after all a senior so I might be excused, and still no iron separation issues, despite the chlorine level being around 15 or 16 ppm. It went down to 6 or 8 ppm after a few days. I did, once I realized my error, add sufficient acid to compensate for the increased pH, within 30 minutes of the mistake.

Thank you once again, glad to see the iron appears to be gone, and look forward to any further observations you might have.

The test kit we used for the iron and phosphates is actually a Hagen aquarium test kit. It's specifically measures for orthophosphates but doesn't measure jack's for example. The only unknown at this point is what it means with the "chelated iron" test, which hubby sez means sequestered iron but which technically measures ferric iron so I'm not sure in this case whether or not that can be meaningfully extrapolated :)

In this case, it took 7.5 gallons of 12.5% chlorine to get the chlorine to hold, which was about a half gallon less than I had calculated using the reverse of the neutralizing formula of hp on chlorine.

So far, no staining (because hopefully there's nothing left to stain with ;)) but despite all the chlorine additions throughout the day the ph never got higher than 7.3.

The next leg of my personal experiment will be to see if I'm able to discontinue the jack's magic, which is a habit I'd like to kick. I now add water using a pre filter and from a line connected to my water softener, so if all goes well, I won't be adding any more iron.

I re-wrote the instructions to make them clearer.

Hope this helps.

"The Hydrogen Peroxide and Ascorbic Acid Method - Operational Guide"

I believe from personal experience and observation the two main advantages of using Hydrogen Peroxide as an addition to the Ascorbic Acid Method is that it removes iron from the pool (not just putting it into solution) and it can remove scale.

1. It removes scale via backwashing from the pool, acid washes are not required.

Acid Washes, in my opinion, should be avoided at all costs as they are dangerous to do unless you know what you are doing and are in my opinion too aggressive for most plaster pools. It would be better to empty your pool have it “shot blasted” with baking soda, but not glass beads as I feel this is also too aggressive

2. It physically removes the iron from the water (The AA treatment does an excellent job of lifting the iron stain from the pool surface, and dissolves/sequestrates the iron stain into the water. But it does not remove the physical iron)

Scale, be it calcium, iron, or phosphate scaling is the real underlying issue with iron stains as the scale, because it is tacky, acts as a kind of trap/magnet to these metals not allowing the regular HEDP sequestrant to do its job fully. This is my opinion and will only be proved over the next six months, or year or so. But I do now have a very white scale free pool.

Interesting links on YouTube as to how it works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3mJrmhJHU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWpfHkWr5DY

and more technical:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ3hHTvjgtc

A Very Important Note on Sequestrants

The only type of sequestrant to use in this process is a “HEDP” based sequestrant.

The three this forum currently recommends are “Jack’s Magic Purple Stuff” for SWG pools, and “Jack’s Magic Pink Stuff” for non-SWG pools, or “Metal Out”. I have been very happy with “Jack’s Magic Purple Stuff”, “Metal Out” is not available to my knowledge in Honolulu.

Do not use EDTA based sequestrants as number of papers have mentioned them as inferior in their ability to hold up in this type of sequestration.
Do not use polymer based sequestants for the same reason.
Do not use sequestrants that do not have a material safety data sheet (MSDS), it could be flocculant based and this might interfere with the ability of the Ascorbic Acid to dissolve the iron from the stain.

An MSDS sheet will tell you if HEDP is being used and at what percentage, you are looking for 20% or more.

If you did use a flocculant based liquid, or an unknown non-MSDS liquid, wait 2 weeks before attempting to try the "The Hydrogen Peroxide and Ascorbic Acid Method”, in order to remove it from the water.

An Analogy of the Method

Another way of thinking of this is what happens when you clean an iron tool of rust. After you remove the rust from the surface it is nice and shiny again, but over time the iron oxidizes to rust and your stain reappears. With Ascorbic Acid you have removed the layer of rust so the pool looks clean but underneath is calcium and iron scale and perhaps phosphate scale, this then rusts again and despite little iron being added to the pool you get re-staining.

With the addition of the HP method (removes scale and iron) to the excellent AA method (which dissolves iron and perhaps other minerals so that HP can more easily remove it with the aid of the sequestrant) you are removing the problem garden tool (think scale) as well as the rust nearly completely, so hopefully it will take a long time for stains to re-occur.

In addition those pools where the AA method is not completely successful, the primary reason in most cases is a form of Calcium Scaling, maybe with a mix of iron or phosphate or both.

Let me state right from the beginning that using a slightly modified "Ascorbic Acid Treatment" with the "HP Method" to my way of thinking should be far superior to just the "HP Method" alone because of the Ascorbic Acid's ability to make iron dissolve so that it can then be sequestrated by the HEDP and then re-constituted by the HP for removal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Cautionary Note

Firstly this has only been tested on a saltwater pool, indications are that saltwater helps this process. Freshwater chlorinated pools have not been tested so if you do this method in your freshwater please post your results for others to see, thank you.

A number of technical papers have noted that HP works better if salt is present. It might be a good idea to add salt even if you do not have a SWG (Salt Water Generator), to increase the effectiveness of this process. The maximum level of salt I would add would be 1200 ppm.

Also for this to work you do need to have either iron, manganese, and copper, or their oxides and/or orthophosphates in sufficient quantities for it to work (quantities as yet unknown) as the aforementioned ingredients act as a catalyst to the Hydrogen Peroxide. Without these ingredients in high enough levels it might not work.

Copper is a pour catalyst in this procedure, unless the pH is in the range 8.5 to 10.0 so it might not help that much with copper staining (very few pools have copper staining issues), or it might take a lot of treatments if the pH is below 8.6. When I have time I will add a section on copper.

When adding the HP do so only in darkness, sunlight destroys it as does light from electric bulbs. Do not pre-open the bottles in the presence of light. Do not turn on your pool lights or outdoor lights at any time during the process. A Moonless night is preferred.

A Point to Think About

Please remember this may take 1, 2, 3, or four treatments before all is done. It will not get rid of underlying organic stains (organic staining underneath scale) for this you will have to wait 4 to preferably six weeks to shock your pool for 1 to as long as 5 to 7 days, possibly longer if there are a lot of organic stains, or if they are deeply imbedded.

The Process:

Please read twice at a minimum before proceeding.

Make sure your pool is properly balanced, and that you have used a proper test kit whose chemicals are not out of date. When adding chemicals to the pool try to walk around the entire pool pouring them in slowly this should ensure you do not have too high a concentration in any one area. Do not pour anything through the skimmer. The pump must run through the night in filter position. If using AA in the process, just before you add the AA, it is a good idea to bypass the heater, particularly if it contains copper, as the AA lowers the pH making it more acidic. Also if using AA remove your cleaner, at the same time, as this to can be damaged by the lower pH. Then open your main drain to allow for maximum flow to the filter.

The two recommended test kits are:

The kit available on this forum, and the Taylor test kit.

1. The colder the better, anything under 77F should work, under 70F will be much better.

2. Bring HEDP sequestrant level to 42 ppm. two bottles of "Jack's Magic Purple Stuff" per 10,000 gal. I do not know the quantity for "Metal Magic".

3. If using Ascorbic Acid (Highly Recommended) then make sure the pH is 7.2 - 7.3, if not using Ascorbic Acid lower pH to 6.8. ph lower than 6.8 is recommended for better results.

Ascorbic Acid deteriorates (loses its potency) over time so check its “good by date”. Personally I grind up “Walmart Vitamin C with Rose Hip –Non-Buffered” tablets as Vitamin C is not readily available, except by mail, here in Hawaii.

4. The 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (32 oz bottles from Walmart are the least expensive in Honolulu) amount is 221 ozs for each 10,000 gallons plus the pre-treatment chlorine ppm level times 21 ozs, if you are using 27% HP then divide these number by 9. Pour this around the pool, not through the skimmer. Preferably allow your pool cleaner to mix it. The total amount of HP required, if the starting chlorine level is 6 ppm, would be 11 bottles of 32 oz 3% HP.

More Hydrogen Peroxide will not make it more effective so do not waste your money
(But as nothing is certain, it is possible that more will help. Although one article I read stated that if the HP and AA (actually it was another acid) were not completely successful it could be due to the HP being used up by Iron Bacteria first. If then your AA treatment alone was not too successful adding somewhat more HP may help)

5. Do not use Thiotrine to lower your chlorine levels the HP does that and also acts as a sanitizer, albeit not as good as chlorine.

6. The higher the Hydrogen Peroxide % the faster it loses its effectiveness over time, so check the "good by date" or "expiration date" do not use old bottles, or ones that have been sitting in the pool store collecting dust.

7. Do not use Algaecide 60, make sure you Free Chlorine is holding with less than 0.5 difference, before effecting the treatment. Well you could use Algaecide 60 but I think it might interfere with the HP and you will need more chlorine later to get your pool back to the right level of Free Chlorine.

8. (Very Important) Add the HP in darkness, sunlight destroys it as does light from electric bulbs, allow it to mix in your pool for two hours (it takes that 2 hours before it will start to work in the water) before adding Ascorbic Acid, after 2 hours at a rate of 1lb minimum (for heavily stained pools 2 lbs would be good) for 10,000 gals. Remove pool cleaner before adding Ascorbic Acid, or if not using AA still remove it.

9. The HP only is effective for up to 7 hours after that it stops doing its job so (Very Important) before sunrise add 2 "182 oz jugs" of Plain Liquid Chlorine/Bleach per 10,000 gals to get your chlorine levels up to about 8 ppm, to avoid an algae bloom.

If you only use Hydrogen Peroxide and no Ascorbic Acid immediately add 30 oz of Muriatic Acid by walking around the pool to minimize local high concentrations. This should bring your pH down to 7.1. The reason for this is that chlorine raises the pH.

Important Note if also using Ascorbic Acid

The pH will be lower than 7.0 even with adding 2 "182 oz jugs" of Plain Liquid Chlorine/Bleach per 10,000 gals remember to add a Borax to up the pH to 7.1.

15 oz of Borax will raise pH 0.2 per 10,000 gals.

Then check your chlorine levels after 4 hours to adjust, if too high they will go down. This insures you will not get an algae bloom.

8. Never continue the treatment into the next day as Hydrogen Peroxide is destroyed by sunlight and you do not want to get an algae bloom.

9. Three (3) hours after sunrise if you do not have a suction side cleaner,vacuum the pool surfaces, then backwash your filter, then vacuum again if you do not have a suction side cleaner, and backwash it again in the evening.

10. You can repeat this treatment again that same night if nearly all the stains appear not to be totally gone (by this I mean a really white pool for plain white plastered pools), and again the next day.

Also you might need to add sequestrant, you will only know this if you have a sequestrant test kit, get this directly from "Palintest", 1-859-341-7423, it is less expensive and the chemicals solution will be current for 2 years. If no test kit, add one more 32 oz bottle of sequestrant. If you live in say West Texas, or Hawaii, and have really, really bad scaling issues you may be looking at a number of repeat treatments, but I would still prefer this over an acid wash any day as this is far less damaging to the pool finish. And yes I have had an acid wash, and never ever again will I do that.

Note: Strongly recommend you do not buy sequestrant test kit from pool store as you will have no idea how old the sequestrant testing chemical "Thorium Nitrate" is, useful life is 2 years.

11. Wait 4 days after treatment to check your CyA reading as it may give you a false low reading, by this I mean 80 ppm may only read 50 ppm for a few days, although you actually have 80 ppm, of which 30 ppm went dormant but will return.

Now How to Remove Most of the Iron from the Water

The reason for doing this final treatment is to remove as much iron from the pool, and or scale from the pool by backwashing. The removal of the iron you have just sequestrated into the HEDP is more effective at a pH above 7.0 or higher, the reason for not going above 7.3 or 7.4 is that the sequestrated iron will fall out of solution and re-stain the pool. When you add HP at the levels of 7.3 or 7.4 it converts the sequestrated iron that is in solution to rust particles large enough for your filter to catch them and the be backwashed, although this partially occurred when you used the AA. The estimated removal percentage is 70% or higher according to researchers.

This just removes most of the remaining iron and it is highly recommended to do this additiona/final treatment.

1. Let the pH rise to 7.3 but no higher than 7.4.

2. Again as before in darkness add 221 ozs for each 10,000 gallons plus the pre-treatment chlorine ppm level times 21 oz, if you are using 27% HP then divide these number by 9. Pour this around the pool, not through the skimmer. Preferably allow your pool cleaner to mix it.

3. The HP only is effective for up to 7 hours after that it stops doing its job so (Very Important) before sunrise add 2 to 2 1/2 to 3 "182 oz jugs" of Plain Liquid Chlorine/Bleach per 10,000 gals to get your chlorine levels up to about where they were before the treatment, to avoid an algae bloom. Immediately add 30 oz of Muriatic Acid by walking around the pool to minimize local high concentrations. This should bring your pH down to 7.1. The reason for this is that chlorine raises the pH

4. Then check your chlorine levels after 4 hours to adjust, if too high they will go down.

5. 3 hours after sunrise backwash your filter, then backwash it again in the evening.

This process is also useful as a periodic treatment for those that have wind-blown iron, say once every 3 to 6 months, or as necessary.

Ongoing Monitoring

I still think it a good idea to keep some of Jack's HEDP product in the pool, perhaps 20 ppm, or 40 ppm if you have a lot of wind born iron, be it the Pink or Purple Stuff, the reason being it acts as "The Canary in The Coal Mine", if one suddenly sees the usage go up it would be a good indicator to just do the HP treatment alone at say 7.3 or 7.4, if the pool has not stained. This would save one from having to buy Ascorbic Acid. For peace of mind, if the usage of the HEDP sequestrant is low, then it might be a small long-term expense worth bearing.

Another "Canary in The Coal Mine" is your white skimmer basket, or your white plastic thermometer, these tend to turn brown before metal stains seem to occur on the pool surface.

As I have written before I think a "Sequestrant Test Kit" from the company "Palintest" is a "must have" if iron, or other metal staining/scaling, is your ongoing problem.

A Simple (Non-Staining) Way to Add Borax

Add Borax by sifting it through a wire colander into a large bowl, then fill a 16 gallon tub with about 12 gallons of water by the side of the pool, then add the 76 oz of borax and stir it vigorously and immediately pour it around the pool in a small bucket. It seems to mix into the pool without leaving any trace, and avoids the issue of localized high pH. But you must make sure your pool cleaner is put back in to stir it up.

Additional Borax note:

If you want to neutralize the Borax to effect the "Adding Borates to Your Pool" you can pour 36 oz of Muriatic Acid only after 12 gallons mix of water and 76 oz of Borax have been mixed as mentioned above and stir that with a spoon. When I do this most of the powder dissolves and the pH of this adjusted water is hand safe. This then becomes pH neutral as far as the pool is concerned so again no issues with localized high pH .

Warning: Never add water to acid only acid to water

My Personal Experience

Is that if you have been using an HEDP sequestrant for a long time you probably have fairly high orthophosphate levels, so the first treatment with AA might only work primarily on getting these levels down with some effect on the of iron, manganese, and copper stains. However you might get lucky due to your particular water and it might go for the iron and not the phosphates first. The use of Ascorbic Acid will help a lot in the removal of metal stains more so than just HP alone, these will then either oxidize or be removed by the filter backwash.

The second treatment if necessary, with AA will do the same again but this time it will work more on the scaling issues.

The third treatment if necessary, with AA should have gotten rid of most if not all the calcium, calcium phosphate, or iron phosphate scaling. And it seems to me that the iron is gone and I do mean gone I do not think it is even in solution in the sequestrant, or if present there is very little there.

The fourth treatment “How to Remove Most of the Iron from the Water”, will remove most of any remaining iron from the pool and some scale.

If you have not been using an HEDP sequestrant then maybe 1 or 2 treatments might work, instead of the first three.

After this if you have iron issues from wind born sources then use the balance shown below for a pH of 7.3, if no wind born source then keep the pH in normal range balance, unless of course you use a lot of fill water with iron. Try to keep your CSI in negative numbers around -0.10 to -0.20. I believe that keeping a slightly higher alkalinity number also helps with scaling, so if you had to choose between higher alkalinity or higher calcium go for higher alkalinity. Also continue using an HEDP sequestrant if wind born, if fill water you may be able to get away with no or little (10 ppm) sequestrant.

I keep my numbers for a SWG pool with wind-blown iron as follows, strangely keeping the alkalinity at 130 ppm, keeps the pH from rising too fast if it falls to 120 or 110 the pH starts to rise, why I do not know. Please be aware that water chemistry does vary from place to place, the higher alkalinity may not work in your water:

Cl 4
pH 7.3 (to avoid iron staining and have -0.1 pH as reserve insurance)
TA 130
CH 475
CyA 80
Salt 3,200/3,300
Borates 50
Phosphates 2,500 (High levels are not an issue if chlorine, pH and CyA are maintained at appropriate levels)
HEDP Sequestrant 42 ppm
Temp 78F – 83F
Gives a slightly minus CSI of -0.13 at 78F, and -0.09 at 83F

Also as chem geek wrote if you do not have a dog that drinks from the pool (borates can kill a dog) adding borates to a level of 50 ppm will help you maintain a relatively stable pH despite an SWG, heater, and higher alkalinity, some or all of which might cause your pH to rise quickly.

Hope this helps.

Swampwoman,

Well I wish you all the best with the filter, I am not so lucky as ours is wind born.

I think if there were iron in the sequestrant (chelated iron) we would have seen it with the high levels of chlorine we raised it to. I also let the pH get too high and also saw no separation. I believe therefore that most of the iron is removed, but really only a lab test could tell for sure.

The papers I read state that about 70%, of the iron is removed at each treatment, the near highest removal rate, at about 98%, is only achieved if one raise the pH to a minimum of 8.6. I suppose one could add the HP let it mix, so as to avoid iron precipitation, and then raise the pH to 8.6 with Borax. If I did that I would definitely double the HP for insurance sakes, even if it did not really matter.

Honestly I think I am too chicken to do that.

Thank you once again for your reply.

Update: pool held chlorine perfectly overnight, water very very clear, no stain returning, ph stable at 7.3 and pool looks great.

Total cost of treatment 36 for hp and 26 in volume of 12.5% chlorine required to re stabilize from hp...plus AA and I suppose jack's, but I would have been using it anyway. For me, it's totally worth it to reduce iron....and will be super worth it if it turns out I can reduce my jack's habit :)

Swampwoman,

It is good to read that you are happy with your results.

Question did you do a final treatment at pH of 7.3 or 7.4? The reason for asking is that there may still be remaining chelated in iron sequestered to your "Jack's Magic Pink Stuff". This iron could precipitate out. If you did do the final treatment it should remove most of the iron in solution. This final process is estimated to turn a high percentage, 70% or more, of the sequestered iron into rust and then be caught by the filter. Then hopefully you have no more iron issues. Iron turned into rust also occurred when you did the treatment with the Ascorbic Acid, this then is more of an insurance policy.

Unfortunately I know of no test available to the retail public that would test how much iron in in the sequestrant HEDP.

Concerning reducing "Jack's Habit", I personally have only lost 2 ppm of "Jack's Magic Purple Stuff" since my last treatment, an all time low usage for me, and most probably due to simple degradation, and a little wind born iron, as opposed to full blown sequestered iron issues.

I still think it a good idea to keep some of Jack's HEDP product, perhaps 20 ppm, in the pool, be it the Pink or Purple Stuff, the reason for this is I think it acts as "The Canary in The Coal Mine", if one suddenly sees the usage go up it would be a good indicator to just do the HP treatment alone at say 7.3 or 7.4, if the pool has not stained. This would save one from having to buy Ascorbic Acid. For peace of mind, if the usage of the HEDP sequestrant is low, then it might be a small long-term expense worth bearing.

As I have written before I think a "Sequestrant Test Kit" from "Palintest" is a must have if iron, or other metal staining/scaling, is your ongoing problem.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.