Used Hydrogen Peroxide for Removing Metal Stains - Results

Re: Used Hydrogen Peroxide for Removing Metal Stains - Resul

I think the iron is getting precipitated with the phosphate and that might be getting into the filter. I'm not sure how hydrogen peroxide is helping with calcium scaling. Low pH would help, but how hydrogen peroxide helps is a bit of a mystery.

chem geek,

So the iron with the phosphate would look like white dust?

I found this Googling "hydrogen peroxide calcium sequestration" it seems somewhat similar but of course I do not know:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ft...drogen peroxide calcium sequestration&f=false

Top of page 359 "Calcium Phosphate"

Could this process have anything to do with it?

And could this paper explain anything?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...5TzII1&sig=AHIEtbT7iizX75_1sKz4Jsga1YLvfRDqBA

Thank you

Iron Phosphate is more yellow than white. Calcium phosphate would be white, but what we're trying to figure out is what hydrogen peroxide has to do with this. Calcium phosphate would precipitate when those combined levels were each high enough (see this post).

The TritonM link you gave just says that a metal sequestrant binding to iron makes hydrogen peroxide in the water more stable because otherwise the iron would break down the hydrogen peroxide, as we know, because hydrogen peroxide can reduce it, then oxidize it, again and again using up hydrogen peroxide in the process.

So I still don't see what hydrogen peroxide has to do with the phosphate reduction unless perhaps the hydrogen peroxide actually oxidizes the HEDP to break it apart into phosphate ions (similar to what chlorine does slowly) and the free phosphate then precipitates with the calcium in the water. If this were happening, then you should find that the HEDP level is dropping when you use hydrogen peroxide. Since your phosphate test isn't distinguishing between free phosphate (orthophosphate) and HEDP, then perhaps that is what is happening. If that is the case, then this isn't really a way of reducing phosphates in the water -- instead, hydrogen peroxide is a way to break down HEDP more quickly and that's not so good. You aren't really removing/lowering orthophosphates, but are instead lowering your HEDP.

chem geek,

I see your point but the sequestrant level did not move down after this last treatment only on the previous treatment from 100 to 75 when there was a lot of white dust. If the Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down the sequestrant would not the level have dropped on this latest treatment? And more so if it did not have to remove calcium.

For Information:

One thing I never mentioned in the last two months for the first time in 16+ years I was getting tiny daphnia shrimp (AKA "Garden Shrimp" -there is no garden anywhere near the pool only concrete) in the pool not every day, actually on about 10 separate days only if the temperature fell below 68 F, not many about 12 to 24 but the suction side cleaner removed them. I think that there may have been attracted to too many orthophosphates in the pool. And this was when the measured sequestrant levels were in the 20 to 40 ppm range.

Thank you.

That would still be consistent with what I am saying because if your test kit is measuring orthophosphate plus HEDP, then if the hydrogen peroxide breaks down HEDP then this by itself would not change the measured phosphate/sequestrant concentration. However, if the freed-up phosphate (i.e. orthophosphate) then precipitated with calcium, then the phosphate level would drop, which is what you saw last time and not this time.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way of you distinguishing between orthophosphate and HEDP except that only HEDP will strongly bind to metals such as iron.

chem geek,

Let me first state that I will always defer to your opinion as to what is going on so it is quite conceivable that phosphates were removed and not calcium, although as I wrote before Hydrogen Peroxide did remove stains that even the AA treatment could not, the white jets were an example of this. Those might have had years of manganese stains which is also blown into our pool albeit in much smaller amounts than iron.

As to what is going on with which phosphates are being removed and why the phosphate reading is only now around 2,500 when the sequestrant reading is still around 75 ppm, which should give a phosphate reading of 920 ppb times 75 which equates to a potential phosphate reading of 69,000, I hope the following information might help it to be explained.

Spoke with Hach tech, the product that is used for the test is the AquaTrend Phosphate Test, they are pillows. It is manufactured by ETS a subsidiary of Hach. The tech stated that it will only pick up orthophosphate but not the following:

Condensed phosphate, metaphosphate, polyphosphate or organically bound.

I hope this information can be of help to you. My question therefore is, because of the large variance in phosphates between the phosphate test kit read and the sequestrant reading of 75 ppm, did the Hydrogen Peroxide indeed remove HEDP based on the information the tech gave? And if it did remove HEDP what is the rather expensive sequestrant test kit measuring?

OK then. The Hach test shouldn't be measuring the phosphate in HEDP. And apparently the expensive sequestrant test kit is measuring only HEDP.

If hydrogen peroxide were breaking down HEDP then you should see HEDP concentrations drop some (because they are ppm) and the phosphate concentration rise a lot (because they are ppb) roughly 1 ppm drop in HEDP leading to nearly 1000 ppb rise in phosphate. If there was a lot of phosphate and calcium, they could precipitate resulting in a drop in both, though most noticeable in phosphate level since it's in ppb and calcium is in ppm. We know that HEDP breaks down from chlorine so this process will occur anyway -- the only question is whether hydrogen peroxide accelerates this breakdown.

Unfortunately, your results are not consistent with the above. Your first test was, but not your second test. So I'm at a loss and we'll just have to see if we get more data in the future that makes sense or someone figures this out.

chem geek,

It seems we are getting somewhere with this mystery, in that it seems phosphates are going down and HEDP is holding which is good news. There has been no iron depositing out of the sequestrant after the third treatment.

There were actually 3 treatments.

The first at a pH of 7.2, where it seemed faint iron stains were removed, and the phosphate test came in at 10,000 way down from well over 30,000 ppb possibly well over 40,000 ppb , a little light grey dust was backwashed out four days later. Sequestrant measured 40 before the test and 32 to 34 ppm after.

The second done at an aggressive pH of around 6.6 to 6.7 with Ascorbic Acid, 40 ppm of sequestrant was added a few days before, afterwards the phosphate test remained at around 10,000 ppb despite 36,800 ppb being added. Large amounts of white dust were backwashed out twice that following day. The walls lightened considerably and no iron stains were apparent before the test. Sequestrant measured 100 before the test and 70 to 75 ppm after.

Third treatment done at a pH of 7.0, phosphate test showed 2,500 ppb down from 10,000 ppb, backwashing produced no visible dust. This maybe because the pH was not low enough or most of the calcium staining had been removed in the second treatment. Sequestrant measured 70 to 75 ppm before the test and 70 to 75 ppm after.

I think the limiting factor here is the pH, I believe that at the very low pH of 6.6 to 6.7 Hydrogen Peroxide is a much stronger oxidizer and acted in a fashion that allowed the calcium deposits to be separated or lifted in pieces large enough for the filter to catch them, but not much was dissolved in a chemical reaction or the filter might have had a hard time capturing it. It is possible that Hydrogen Peroxide might also have some sort of affinity or symbiotic relationship with Ascorbic Acid when it comes to dealing with Calcium staining. That would be hard to tell unless someone tested doing the treatment without AA and lowering the pH with Muriatic only.

As far as removing phosphates it seems even at a pH of 7.2 it can take down a lot of phosphates, my guess is that it removes around 70 to 75% on each treatment, but for some strange reason not more than that percentage. It is also interesting to note that in the first treatment despite a large removal of phosphates in ppb there was no backing up of the filter and actually only backwashed out four days later. So it seems large removal of phosphates in ppb do not translate into large dumps into the filter. It seems from the experience in the second test low a low pH of 6.6 to 6.7 results in large deosits to the filter and by the white color of the dust it seems to be calcium from the stained surfaces.

Thank you.

Hi guys! It's teetering on spring here in Mich and I hope to open soon. Since I ave high phosphates and some historic iron staining, I read your post with interest, smallpooldad.

ChemGeek, at the low ratio posted on the other thread, , eg I saw 5 litres (of 27%) to 50,000 lites water cited, which would be about 2.5 gal to 22,000 roughly, would an isolated experiment or two (as opposed to using it for sanitation) be likely to harm my vinyl liner? I can't imagine a 1 ppm solution would...but thought I'd get your opinion.

And thanks, smallpooldad, for posting your results. I fully accept your disclaimer ;)

I don't think the hydrogen peroxide in low concentrations will be a problem for your vinyl liner at all. Remember that hydrogen peroxide is used as the oxidizer in Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB pools and it's used on its own in spas in Australia at around 30-100 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

chem geek,

Any clues here at these 3 links?

http://www.poolspanews.com/heatrecovery-systems/calcium-phosphate-scale.aspx

http://techplace.datapages.com/data/sepm/journals/v63-66/data/063/063004/0641.htm

http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...8.pdf?filepath=/609-02023.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Could the substantial lowering of orthophosphate have made it easier for the Ascorbic Acid or Hydrogen Peroxide or both to remove the Calcium Phosphate Scale? By this I mean could the Hydrogen Peroxide because it targets orthophosphate have broken the calcium phosphate scale bond thereby making it easier to release this calcium scale?

It seems an HEDP based sequestrant because of its propensity to change into orthophosphate may not be as good as using an EDTA, unless orthophosphates are kept under control. At what level do you think, in ppb, do orthophosphates become an issue? I personally do not mind using HEDP sequestrants as they are more effective on iron than EDTA but it would be good to know at what level the orthophosphates become a problem as regards scaling, in order that I might lower the level using the Hydrogen Peroxide method.

Someone without iron issues in their pool but has orthophosphates in their pool and is using an HEDP sequestrant,for whatever reason, needs to test to see if the can remove orthophosphates using the Hydrogen Peroxide method. The reason being that as you stated if iron is not available as a catalyst for the Hydrogen Peroxide it may not reduce orthophosphates, so those persons may need to use one of the other phosphate removing products, albeit they are more expensive and block up the filter.

Can EDTA (most properly in double doses to achieve effective sequestration of iron) be effective if Hydrogen Peroxide is used? Please see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylenediaminetetraacetic_acid

Here are other links that I find very hard to comprehend but may be useful to you:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5B...g#v=onepage&q=calcium phosphate scale&f=false

http://www.google.com/patents/EP2242718A2?cl=en

Thank you.

This link which is one of the ones you gave is the most helpful because of Figure 2.12 that shows the level of phosphate and calcium hardness when precipitation can start to occur. It is, of course, pH dependent. At a pH of 8, 10000 ppb (10 ppm) phosphate could precipitate calcium phosphate if the Calcium Hardness (CH) were above 550 ppm. At a pH of 7.5, 50000 ppb (50 ppm) phosphate would precipitate if the CH were above 250 ppm.

So high phosphate levels in the presence of calcium can precipitate calcium phosphate. However, none of the links and no information I can find relates any of this to hydrogen peroxide. That is the strange part. Is hydrogen peroxide somehow aiding in the precipitation of calcium phosphate? Does the water need to be over-saturated with calcium phosphate already and the hydrogen peroxide just triggers the precipitation similar to adding starter crystals? Or does the hydrogen peroxide participate more directly to form a compound precipitate? I have no idea.

This link refers to hydrogen peroxide used in a specific kind of calcium phosphate precipitation (whisker growth) though what is formed is octacalcium phosphate and apatitic calcium phosphate. The temperature was high (90ºF) since decomposition of the hydrogen peroxide was a critical step in the reaction, though the mechanism is one of localized pH rise. This paper refers to a similar production of apatite at high temperature (100ºC).

At this point, I think it's more important to have someone with a high phosphate level and low iron level try using hydrogen peroxide to see if it lowers the phosphate level. However, since chlorine will kill algae faster than it can grow regardless of phosphate level, assuming the proper FC/CYA ratio is maintained, there's not much incentive for anyone to do this unless their phosphate and/or calcium levels are exceptionally high.

chem geek,

I am so glad that we all have you to explain all this complicated stuff to us, you are a true treasure to all of us pool owners and operators.

So it seems orthophosphates in conjunction with calcium levels and pH levels combine to give us the problem of "Calcium Phosphate Scale".

For persons with iron issues it seems a lower pH of 7.2 to 7.3 might be best to keep iron in solution but for those who have no iron/metal staining issues and run at a pH of 7.6 to 7.8 a different level of calcium and maximum orthophosphates would be apply.

So if you could, can you give all of us a table with a range of calcium ppm and the maximum acceptable level orthophosphates at different pH (s) to avoid scaling?

For those of us who have metal issues do we then need a sequestrant if we maintain the numbers on the table, I am guessing yes?

Example:

pH level------------------------Calcium Range to Avoid Scaling in ppm------------Maximum Acceptable Level of Orthophosphates to Avoid Scaling in ppb
(7.2 -7.4 for those
with metal/iron issues)

7.2---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

7.3---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

7.4---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

7.5---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

7.6---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

7.7---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

7.8---------------------------------------? to ?---------------------------------------------------------?

I do find it kind of ironic that phosphate removal does serve a purpose, but do the commercial products also remove the good phosphates?

As for me it is good to know as they say in Georgia when I lived there, a great state to live in, “Even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.” Bye and Bye I am not from the South so I truly meant the compliment to Georgia.

Thank you for all the great help, great patience, and time. And good news that we are finally getting closer to solving the mystery.

chem geek,

Did the Hydrogen Peroxide Method, one last time (at least for quite a while) last night the results were as follows:

Chemistry of the pool was the same as before except temperature has risen to 77 F, organic phosphates (should read orthophosphate see Chem Geek's correction in post below) at around 2,500 ppb, before pouring in the HP sequestrant measured around 75 ppm using this test

http://www.rb-instrument.nl/attachments/446_Tablet-tel-Organofosfonaat_ibv_eng.pdf

The 0.1% Thorium Nitrate solution was made in February of 2012, I think it is still good but will call Palintest tomorrow to check.

This time the results of removing orthophosphates was less exciting it dropped from around 2,500 ppb to around 1,500 ppb. So it seems that I might have less iron in the pool now and the HP Method is not working as well as this is only 40% drop, versus the normal 70% drop. All other numbers remained the same including the sequestrant which still measure 75 ppm. The filter backwashed clear for 1 minute.

So it appears you are correct that if there is less iron available in the pool the results are not very dramatic, and if little to no iron maybe it will not reduce the organic phosphates (should read orthophosphate see Chem Geek's correction in post below) at all. That could be major problem for persons using an HEDP sequestrant with no iron but high organic phosphates (should read orthophosphate see Chem Geek's correction in post below) in ppb. They might need to drain down as the cost of removing large amounts of organic phosphates (should read orthophosphate see Chem Geek's correction in post below) with retail products would be too expensive and too time consuming.

At a calcium level of 350 and a pH of 7.3 based on the following Dow Chart (Figure 2.12) that you pointed us to:

http://msdssearch.dow.com/Published...8.pdf?filepath=/609-02023.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

I should keep the organic phosphates (should read orthophosphate see Chem Geek's correction in post below) at a level below 15,000 ppb, does that seem correct to you at a pH of 7.3?

As you are aware I was way above that number (about 45,000 to 60,000) caused by topping up my sequestrant level for about a year and a half and not draining the pool, even when I kept the sequestrant at 20 ppm, so I think that persons using an HEDP sequestrant need to check that level so as not to cause a situation where "Calcium Phosphate Scale" can occur. I certainly will in the future.

Or I might switch to an EDTA based sequestrant and double up the dose as it does not contain phosphates. Unfortunately EDTA I believe, but am not sure, will be removed if Hydrogen Peroxide is used. Also there seems to be some concerns as to EDTA's environmental impact which is not the case with HEDP. The "Magenta Stuff" from Jack's Magic is another option this, according to the MSDS is 100% Acrylic Acid Copolymer. I used it in the past but I cannot remember how effective it was against iron, I think I switched at the time to the Purple as site administrators stated it was not on their approved list. Also I do not think it can be measured with a sequestrant test kit. This article might help on it's efficacy:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...qYHQDw&usg=AFQjCNFio1BGuyDhkXWG5VPhhiRy8taLPQ

I have no issues with having phosphates at a level below 10,000 ppb, as far as sanitation goes, so ultimately I think I will stick with HEDP as I can measure it and the phosphate level. And of course we will always get enough wind borne iron back into our pools, here in Hawaii, to do the HP treatment.

Well it was an interesting experience and we did find out some interesting stuff as regards HEDP, and how it has the potential to cause "Calcium Phosphate Scale" if the orthophosphates are not monitored. Quick question can one have just plain "Calcium Scaling" or will it always contain phosphates as in "Calcium Phosphate Scale?"

I am done now with adding HP as it will not have any additional benefit and will still use the AA method if I have additional iron staining as I think for iron it is superior, but maybe in conjunction with the HP method.

It seems as if some iron was actually removed from the pool as shown by the lowering of the removal of organic phosphates from around 70% to around 40%. How and why I have no idea.

Thank you for all your help.

chem geek,

The following thought came to me. As this is the Deep End it is OK to come up with crazy thoughts, yes/no?

Could it be that as I added Hydrogen Peroxide at night and regular Walmart bleach, an hour before sunrise, which I believe contains Sodium Chlorate I accidently stumbled onto producing albeit a weak solution of Chlorine Dioxide by the action of the reduction of sodium chlorate with hydrogen peroxide? And that is why I am seeing an apparent drop in iron and perhaps why the "Calcium Phosphate Scale" was removed when the pH was low using Ascorbic Acid, in treatment 2

Please see attached links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_dioxide

http://www.akzonobel.com/purate/chlorine_dioxide/producing_clo2/

If this is possible what would be the ideal mix be and how would one introduce it into a 10,000 gallon pool, presumably when dark to have a maximum effect at totally eliminating iron and manganese?

Also there is product called Oxine in gallon jugs, Sodium Chlorite 3.25% minimum plus trace amounts of Chlorine Dioxide which can be bought with or without Citric Acid at Amazon, would this work and if so in what safe quantities.

See here:

http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Cide-International-Oxine-AH-Gallon/dp/B000HT7H8W

MSDS here:

http://www.bio-cide.com/uploads/OxineMSDS.pdf

I know all this is "long shot" but the only stupid question is the one not asked.

BASF manufactures tabs of 70060-20 (Sodium chlorite) which are approved by the State of Hawaii for use in swimming pools both residential and public, they have a local office I will call and find out more tomorrow, although I doubt anyone stocks it in Hawaii. Would these be of any help?

Thank you.

Bleach doesn't have enough chlorate and the hydrogen peroxide is not strong enough a reducing agent to reduce it to chlorine dioxide.

By the way, everywhere you were writing "organic phosphate" in your last posts, you meant "orthophosphate". The organic phosphate is HEDP. The phosphate you are measuring in your phosphate test is orthophosphate, basically free or unbound phosphate.

As for the table, just use the graph and realize that it's just one possibility since I've seen different solubility products for calcium phosphate so that apparently has not been definitively determined. You can use the graph as a guideline and can extrapolate/interpolate for different pH.

chem geek,

I know "I'm like a dog with a bone" or perhaps a "A bad penny that keeps coming back."

Anyway here I go again.

First some housekeeping, I made corrections regarding the incorrect mention of "organic phosphates" when I should have written "orthophosphate(s)" in the post above, thank you for pointing it out. I called "Palintest" at 1-800-835-9629, Thorium Nitrate solution does expire after 1 year, so my solution is 2 months overdue for replacement. As it is quite expensive costing about $50 from Palintest and more from Jack's, for just shy of half a liter, I might wait. As I understand it, Thorium Nitrate degrades quite slowly. The very pleasant lady said she would email me tomorrow after emailing the UK where it is manufactured to see what the time degradation amounts to in percentage per year, I will then advise in a later post. I called BASF in Hawaii, but they are not the BASF chemical company, I will work on that later.

Now onto what I have discovered.

I "Googled" many sources such as:

"Hydrogen Peroxide Degradation pH"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1149288/

"Hydrogen Peroxide Degradation temperature"
"Hydrogen Peroxide HEDP"

http://books.google.com/books?id=QL...=hydrogen peroxide decomposition hedp&f=false

"Hydrogen Peroxide Calcium"
"Hydrogen Peroxide Wood Pulp Calcium"

http://www.tappi.org/Downloads/unsorted/UNTITLED---pulp981157pdf.aspx

"Hydrogen Peroxide Phosphates
"Hydrogen Peroxide Calcium Oxalate"

http://x.havuz.org/viewtopic.php?p=28892
http://www.amjbot.org/content/84/8/1042.full.pdf

From this I came up with some obvious answers:

It works better at a pH below 7.0, to remove iron, phosphates and other metals, all the way down into the 4.6 range, the lower the better, generally speaking. That is what I found to be true when I used Ascorbic Acid (AA). Although in many of their processes to remove metals from waste water they use Acetic Acid (vinegar) which has a pH of 4.76. In the processing of pulp they mainly use sulfuric acid, and sometimes Muriatic Acid.

And generally speaking HP works best at removing iron, phosphates and other metals, at temperatures below 70 F, and slows down rapidly at higher temperatures unless a lot of acid is used. That is maybe why I did not see such a great drop in the phosphate test on the 4th try as the pool temp was 77 F, versus around 68 F to 70 F in the 3 other treatments and my pH was 7.0.

Iron and particularly manganese are great catalysts to help us remove phosphates, this we know.

Now for the more interesting stuff:

HEDP is superior to EDTA in sequestering iron, this we know But what I did not know was that EDTA in the presence of HP will only allow HP to sequester for about 25 minutes or so before it depletes the HP (it might be the other way round - no matter it will not work), HEDP will sequester iron, phosphates, other metals, AND CALCIUM (more on that below) for about 7 to 7.5 hours if more than 13 ppm of HEDP are present.

And now for the really, really, interesting stuff:

"The Hydrogen Peroxide Method" in a pH below 7.0 (the lower the better) with HEDP in doses above 13 ppm, and in the presence of manganese (best) and/or iron, (OR IF IRON ETC ARE NOT PRESENT) IN ORTHOPHOSPHATES (IF IN SUFFICIENT QUANTITIES - quantity unknown) DOES SEQUESTER CALCIUM, CALCIUM CARBONATE AND CALCIUM PHOSPHATE to CALCIUM OXALTE

YEE-HAW!

But nobody, even the top scientists and chemists in the wood pulp industry know EXACTLY why this occurs, so chem geek you are in very good company when you stated you were not sure how this might occur. Although it is known that HP can sequester carbon and its compounds. It is actually a big problem for them as it gums up their filters removing minerals etc they do not want to remove in certain quantities. As I understand it they want to remove a certain amount but the calcium is removing too great an amount. It precipitates as Calcium Oxalate.

That is why despite the filter removing a large amount of calcium the third time I did the HP method overnight, even more went to the filter once the suction side cleaner was re-attached, it was sucking up more Calcium Oxalate crystals mixed possibly with the phosphates, and conceivably iron, which fell to the bottom of the pool. Although the second backwash was not as heavy a load.

Post-Mortem:

So it seems that while I do have iron in my pool the greater problem was created by the breakdown of HEDP to orthophosphate in such large quantities(above 45,000 ppb when it should be below 10,000 ppb), above the threshold limit mentioned in the Dow Chemical paper (see here the graph labeled - "Figure 2.12 Critical phosphate concentration under various pH at 25°C"):

That it also created "Calcium Phosphate Scale", which looks a lot like iron staining. My guess is that I had a lot more "Calcium Phosphate Scale" than I had real iron stains. Certainly by the amount of what might be a form of Calcium Oxalate dumped out of the filter in the two backwashes on the 3rd try using HEDP, Ascorbic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide. Please bear in mind I reached 35,000 when I kept the ppm of the HEDP sequestrant at a very conservative 10 ppm, only upping it to over 20 ppm when it reached that number a few months ago. The raising to the higher levels of 40, 60, and 100 ppm only occurred in the last month or so.

What does this mean for the average HEDP Sequestrant user?

Quite simply your phosphate levels will keep rising if you are a regular user and may possibly fairly quickly reach the breakpoint level if you have iron or organics entering your pool via water or wind.

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A SEQUESTRANT TEST KIT AND A PHOSPHATE TEST KIT. And you need to consult the above graph to make sure you do not go above the threshold level FOR PHOSPHATES or you might get "Calcium Phosphate Scale" Use the HP method with the AA method to lower your phosphate levels, or lower your pH to 6.9 to save money and try and see how well just the HP method lowers phosphates, remember the colder the temperature the better it will work AND ALWAYS DO IT JUST AFTER DARK. In my case with 350 ppm calcium, and a pH of 7.3 the graph says I need to keep my phosphate levels below about 10,000 ppb. Remember 1 ppm of HEDP is 1000 ppb of potential orthophosphate, so levels can rise quickly.

Does this method replace the Ascorbic Acid Method?

Certainly not, but it is a good addition to it. One point that might be worth considering is not to use Algaecide 60 in the early part of the treatment, it is not needed and might interfere with the HP treatment, but put it in an hour or so before sunrise if you are planning on continuing the AA treatment another day, to avoid the potential for algae growth. Remember by morning the HP will have been completely used up and you may need to back wash your filter as calcium may be blocking it up. Then check your sequestrant level every 2 weeks and if you have an iron problem then maybe 20 ppm will do the job, if no iron issues maybe 15 ppm. I would check the phosphate level once a month and treat if needed. Also in the AA treatment it is recommended to up the chlorine level 1 ppm per day, until the target level is reached, I think that is an excellent idea to avoid iron separation from the sequestrant, also recommended is to hold the pH between 7.0 and 7.2 for a week or so this to will avoid iron separating out.

Does the level of phosphate really matter that much:

I think by what I have personally experienced this answer is a big yes.

Now I have to go back to all the people that I have helped with their pools and tell them "Yes, you really do need to know the phosphate level in your pool. I was wrong, we learnt something new". Just as Galileo tried to tell the world that he was wrong and that the earth is not the center of the universe but revolves around the sun. It is going to hurt and sting that I thought I knew it all, and told people that I have 35,000 ppb of phosphates in my pool and I have no algae, so I have no problems. Well I was wrong, very wrong. They do matter but not in the way that pool salespeople would have you believe, but in a different way. It would be extraordinarily expense to remove these breakeven levels of phosphate with lanthium, etc based removers, not to say time consuming, the HP method offers an inexpensive and quick solution and if you do have calcium scaling it might do that as well.

How to measure large amounts of phosphates:

In my phosphate test kit it will measure up to 1,000 ppb by filling the tube to a marked level, pouring in the powder and then shaking for one minute and comparing the blue color against the enclosed color chart. To measure 10,000 ppb one would first pour 9 tube measures of pool water into a glass container, then fill the tube to a marked level with additional pool water, pouring in the powder and then shaking vigorously for one minute, adding it to the glass container stirring vigorously and pour it back into the tube and compare the color. If the color was at the 500 ppm one would multiply that by 10, you will then know your phosphate level is 5,000 ppb. To measure 20,000 ppb you would do the same only you now need 19 measures of pool water plus the one you have shaken. Multiplying that by 20, and so on and so forth for higher levels.

Other Considerations:

1. It might be necessary to repeat the combined AA and HP process a number of times as the HP exhausts itself after 7 to 7 1/2 hours, to fully remove all calcium staining. This is best done once a week but not daily I would think.

2. After you have done the process(s) to your satisfaction you may still might find you have some remaining light stains, these are probably old organic stains, for some reason neither the AA or HP seems to do a great job on these. The reasons these might appear is that they may have been hidden by the calcium scaling if it were thick enough. You could raise your pool to shock level and keep it there for a week or two and this might do the trick, but you will have to wait at least 5 weeks before doing this or you could restain the pool with metals. Or you could hold the pool at non-shock but higher levels of chlorination and this could take days, weeks, or even months. None of this is guaranteed to work if the stains have been there a very long time and you may never get rid of them.

A wish to the Forum Administrators:

Above the Dow Chemical graph is a formula for working out exactly where one should not exceed the phosphate level at a given temperature, pH and hardness, could perhaps you chem geek or someone else put this into an Microsoft Excel spreadsheet or better still include it in the "Pool Calculator".

I realize Chem Geek that you might disagree with some of what I have written so I look forward to your comments. Years ago Oxalic Acid was a recommended chemical for stains but gave poor results, then someone came up with Ascorbic Acid which is really good at lifting iron, then someone on this forum talked about Hydrogen Peroxide for iron and yes iy is OK but only with lower levels of pH and works very well with AA, and in conjunction with AA it can improve overall results. I am sure in the future someone else will find an even better method. Let us hope so.

Thank you.

I didn't read the papers the same way you did. Calcium oxalate forms when there is oxalic acid in the water and you don't have that. The paper you showed and this one refer to using metal sequestrants such as EDTA or HEDP to improve the efficiency of bleaching wood pulp with hydrogen peroxide because they sequester metals such as iron, copper and manganese that catalytically break down hydrogen peroxide. Papers about bleaching pulp aren't very relevant to your situation. Basically, the papers just talk about the hydrogen peroxide bleaching (breaking down) organics in wood pulp and this results in some oxalic acid or oxalate which precipitates with calcium to form calcium oxalate. When using HEDP, this sequesters some calcium so reduces the amount of this precipitation.

And nothing in what you linked talks about hydrogen peroxide reducing phosphate levels in any way. High calcium and phosphate levels will precipitate, but there is nothing anywhere referring to hydrogen peroxide having anything to do with this. The closest analogy to the wood pulp papers would be if hydrogen peroxide accelerated breakdown of HEDP to increase orthophosphate levels that then precipitated with calcium to form calcium phosphate, but you said that the HEDP level did not decrease while the orthophosphate level dropped significantly so we ruled that out.

EDTA is known to break down faster than HEDP so having hydrogen peroxide break it down faster is not surprising. EDTA also breaks down faster than HEDP with chlorine which is why we don't recommend it, but that's because most pools don't have the constant iron introduction such as yours. The idea is that a lower constant level of HEDP that more slowly breaks down is all that is needed for typical pools that have some iron in them. Yours is not typical so you are experiencing the effects of high concentration uses of HEDP and this build up orthophosphates.

As for our normally saying not to worry about phosphates and that you are disagreeing with that, we are talking about the usual levels found in some high phosphate pools such as 1000 ppb, 3000 ppb or 5000 ppb, not the tens of thousands of ppb that you experience. That is unusual and is due to your high HEDP dosing due to your continual iron introduction. So I agree that it is too bad that there isn't another metal sequestrant you could use that is as effective as HEDP but that would not break down into orthophosphate that then precipitates into calcium phosphate.

As for the chart, since HEDP sequesters some calcium, it will take higher calcium levels than shown in the chart to precipitate calcium phosphate, but as a rough guideline it isn't bad. However, the situation of having as high a phosphate level as you have is very unusual.

chem geek,

I agree with you on the subject of oxalate.

The fact that I did have high levels of orthophosphate at an initial measurement of 35,000 ppb, some 3 or 4 months ago, when the sequestrant was kept at 10 ppm, for about a year and a half, so orthophosphates rose from near 0 ppb to near 35,000 ppb in that year and a half, simply by maintaining a level of 10 ppm of sequestrant. Albeit that we have high winds and high iron, but so do parts of Texas, and probably other locations in the US and around the world.

I upped the sequestrant level to 20 ppm about a month and half or so ago, it was around 45,000. Raising the sequestrant level to 100 ppm certainly did not help the overall phosphate level and reached a level of 65,000+ ppb.

I noticed in the Dow article that they are talking about the total phosphate level not just the orthophosphate level, so my real level at say 100 ppm of sequestrant (100 x .92 = 92 ppm of phosphate) plus say 65,000 ppb (65 ppm) of orthophosphate, the combined total phosphates were 157 ppm. I hope I am correct in this assumption.

So it seems that the combined phosphate number is the one to work with, to get close to zero chance of having Calcium Phosphate Scaling reappear after its dramatic removal, which probably occurred over many years I would need to keep my sequestrant levels at around 13 ppm, not the 80 ppm I have now. And the orthophosphates at around or below 3,000, the pH at 7.3, the calcium hardness at around 350 ppm. This will give an only slightly elevated SI (Dow's Stability Index of 0.256951949), obviously not the zero (SI of 0.00) ideal but I do not wish to lower the pH or the CA any further.

I called Dow on the equation and requested an Excel copy, they were very pleasant and I waited a long time on the phone for a response but unfortunately they said no. I therefore worked on an excel spreadsheet myself.

Based on the numbers it delivered I would agree with you that for the average HEDP user there is no need to worry about orthophosphate numbers shown by a phosphate test kit if tested correctly. I wonder how many think that their phosphate numbers are 2 or 3 thousand (not diluting enough) when if they have been using for years it is really 20 or 30 thousand, possibly more. And how many do not have a sequestrant test kit and are religiously adding 4-6 oz each week, and upping their actual levels to much higher than say 10-15 ppm, but their real number are maybe 40-80 ppm. These numbers would create issues of "Calcium Phosphate Issue" staining.

With a level of 60 ppm of sequestrant, and 3,000 ppb of orthophosphate in my pool, with the pH at 7.3, the calcium hardness at around 350 ppm, I greatly increase my chance of calcium phosphate staining, the SI index rises to 2.31 from 0.25. To offset this I would need to reduce my calcium hardness to 92, not a very realistic number.

In a typical non-salrwater pool with the pH at 7.5, the calcium hardness at around 275 ppm, and with a level of 60 ppm of sequestrant, and 3,000 ppb of orthophosphate. The SI would be 2.18, to offset this one would need to reduce the calcium hardness to 92 to 80 to get the SI to 0.27, to have near zero chance of having Calcium Phosphate Scaling reappear, again not realistic, But with a level of 13 ppm of sequestrant, and 3,000 ppb of orthophosphate the SI index would be 0.09, with the pH at 7.5, the calcium hardness at around 275 ppm.

I know I need to drain, my sequestrant level at 80 ppm is way too high.

I think when a person responds to a question on phosphates and/or staining the question to ask is exactly how they achieved their phosphate measurements and how much measured sequestrant is in the pool, they could have way too much, too little, or be just right on the numbers..

My local pool store has sold 2 Sequestrant test kits in 12 months, but lots of the Purple, Pink and Blue Stuff! Whose on first, whose on second? I would estimate there are more pools with 5 miles of that pool shop than there are in the rest of the entire state.

I used the exponential function of e on the log of 2.718281828. And for log 2Log I moved the decimal place two places to the left on the temperature number, still using the exponential function of e on the log of 2.718281828. It seems to be correct and correspond to their graph. I hope the log numbers I used are correct. It is a very simple spreadsheet.

Still no news sent to me on the Thorium Nitrate.

Thank you.

The Dow article phosphate level they are referring to is really orthophosphate since the phosphate in HEDP does not precipitate with calcium. It binds to some calcium but does not form a solid with it so you shouldn't use the HEDP concentration when using the chart.

Their formula is using logarithms to the base 10 which in a spreadsheet such as Excel can be done using the "LOG10()" function.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.