ECO-SMARTE SYSTEM

It's pretty much your standard copper ionizer unit. The twist the put on it is to use generated O2 as an oxidizer. O2 is NOT as effecient at O3 (ozone) because it is a stable molecule. The do recommend adding borax to the water! (Imagine that!) , They also recommend a low pH (7.2). Lower pH will help prevent staining! The main thing that works is the copper! Just an ionizer with some pseudoscience thrown in! Care to buy a magnet? :wink:

The non-chemical oxidation part is just splitting water into oxygen and hydrogen as follows:

2x ( 2H2O + 2e- --> H2(g) + 2OH- )
2H2O --> O2(g) + 4H+ + 4e-
------------------------------------------
2H2O --> 2H2(g) + O2(g)

and as waterbear pointed out, oxygen is not nearly as powerful an oxidizer as ozone nor as chlorine. Besides, the water should already be saturated with dissolved oxygen from being in equilibrium with the air so adding any more oxygen will probably just result in oxygen bubbles (along with the hydrogen gas bubbles) that will just float to the surface and go into the air doing, well, nothing except aerating the water causing the pH to rise. Perhaps if the salt level were high enough a little chlorine will get generated as well -- imagine that in a supposedly chlorine-free system!

Thanks, Evan and Richard. So, O2 is a less effective oxidizer than O3 but is it effective at all? Also, while I imagine the copper can be a fairly effective algaecide, will it otherwise sanitize the water? In other words, are users of this system at risk of exposing swimmers to harmful bacteria?

Richard,
I don't think they advocate putting any salt in the water.

KurtV said:
Thanks, Evan and Richard. So, O2 is a less effective oxidizer than O3 but is it effective at all? Also, while I imagine the copper can be a fairly effective algaecide, will it otherwise sanitize the water? In other words, are users of this system at risk of exposing swimmers to harmful bacteria?

Richard,
I don't think they advocate putting any salt in the water.
IMHO, copper is useless as a sanitizer, it's mainly an algaecide. It does have some bacteriostatic effect but it has very slow kill times so a residual of chlorine is needed for sanitation. I can't imagine how molecular oxygen would be an effective pool oxidizer. Perhaps they claim it is atomic oxygen but it would not stay in that state for very long. Unless they provide some documentation otherwise(which they don't on their website) I would have to say pseudoscience!
Surprised they are not also including a magnet with the system and a tin foil hat!

To anyone thinking about purchasing an Ecosmarte system--please refer to my post on the "Agree to Disagree--Ecosmarte" forum. RUN AWAY VERY FAST! You will have nothing but problems with Ecosmarte. Trust me, I have had the system up until this week, and as switching to SWG.

wrencresthome said:
To anyone thinking about purchasing an Ecosmarte system--please refer to my post on the "Agree to Disagree--Ecosmarte" forum. RUN AWAY VERY FAST! You will have nothing but problems with Ecosmarte. Trust me, I have had the system up until this week, and as switching to SWG.

Well, you've come to the right place for information! Better late, than never. Be sure to check out ourSWG forum when researching your next purchase.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.