Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Carli in Puerto Rico

1. Back To Top    #1

Carli in Puerto Rico

Hi everyone, my name is Carli and I am a beginner in pool stuff. I hope to learn a lot
    from you guys. I bought this house that already have a 13,500 gal. in-ground pool with a 36sq. DE Purex filter.
    Jandy never lube valve, Hayward motor and multiport valve. I am adding some photos of my pool so you
    can give me any suggestions. Thank's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13,500 gal, IG plaster, 1 HP Hayward, 36 sqft Purex DE filter
    Jandy NL valve, Hayward multiport valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Carli in Puerto Rico

Welcome to TFP!
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hi, Carli,

Welcome to the forum. Are you having any pool issues at the moment where you need some help?

That's a VERY nice looking pool, btw.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hi, Carli,

Welcome to the forum. Are you having any pool issues at the moment where you need some help?

That's a VERY nice looking pool, btw.

No issues at this time. I have been reading a lot in this forum and managed to have the pool clean and balance.
    The only thing is that the pool floor is a little bit stain. The previous owner stop taking care of the pool and their
    where a lot of leaves at the bottom that I suspect were the cause of staining the pool. What is the usual correction
    of this problem?
    Pardom my English I am not a native English speaker.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

If the stain is from leaves, it is an organic stain and elevated chlorine in your pool will remove it but it may take a little time.

I could suggest how high to elevate your chlorine but I would need to know your current chlorine and CYA level first.
    Dave S.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    If the stain is from leaves, it is an organic stain and elevated chlorine in your pool will remove it but it may take a little time.

I could suggest how high to elevate your chlorine but I would need to know your current chlorine and CYA level first.

Chlorine = 1.5
    CYA = 40

I should mention that I bought a Taylor 2006 test kit instead of the TFP 100. Is this readings as reliable as the TFP 100?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Yes, it's fine. Bring your FC up to about 6-8ppm and KEEP IT THERE by checking and adding daily. You should see the stains lighten up soon. Brushing them daily will help, too.
    Dave S.

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to TFP!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a question. I understand that once a week I should shock my pool to get rid of CC.
    Now, if my pool is 13,500 gal. with a CYA of 35 ppm how-many pounds of (chlorine) I am using
    Re-Fresh a powder that is 68%cal-hipo should I put in? Or which is the mathematical procedure?
    By the way I bought the Pool Calculator for my iphone and it is great but I am not sure that the
    order of the tests is as it should be. Is this correct or not? Thank you in advance.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome! I am sure if you have a question about pools you will get a quick reply in this forum...

Now, your original question was asking for suggestions?

Since you live in Puerto Rico AND have a pool, I would suggest an invite!
    24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to tfp, carli
    Quote Originally Posted by carli
    I have a question. I understand that once a week I should shock my pool to get rid of CC.
    Actually, here at tfp we do not recommend a weekly "shock". Take a look at this pool school article for how to properly maintain your pool so that you do not need to do a weekly "shock": http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._care_schedule

Quote Originally Posted by carli
    Now, if my pool is 13,500 gal. with a CYA of 35 ppm how-many pounds of (chlorine) I am using
    Re-Fresh a powder that is 68%cal-hipo should I put in? Or which is the mathematical procedure?
    By the way I bought the Pool Calculator for my iphone and it is great but I am not sure that the
    order of the tests is as it should be. Is this correct or not? Thank you in advance.
    As mentioned above, you do not need a weekly "shock". Be careful with the cal hypo since it adds calcium to your pool and eventually can cause scaling if the CH (calcium hardness) level gets too high. Most of us use the pool calculator to calculate our chemical additions.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

As mentioned above, you do not need a weekly "shock". Be careful with the cal hypo since it adds calcium to your pool and eventually can cause scaling if the CH (calcium hardness) level gets too high. Most of us use the pool calculator to calculate our chemical additions.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. My CH is 280 right now and I have a pail of Re-Fresh (65% Cal hipo) that is going to
    last like a year or so. Wich chlorinator will you suggest? I will be monitoring the HC so it don't get to high.
    Since you use Pool Calculator in the goal section of the iphone version it instruct me to put in my primary source
    of chlorine. The choices are bleach, swg and trichlor. If I only use Cal Hipo what should I mark as my primary source?