Greetings from (currently snowy) NE Ohio...

budgetplan1

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 1, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Just livin' the aquatic dream...

We had a simple, 20K, in-ground, vinyl liner pool built about 17 years ago and the stuff has fascinated me ever since. After the first couple of years or so of being a pool newb and frequenting pool stores, I ran across another online forum and have been dumping bleach, borax and occasionally ascorbic acid (iron stains) in the pool (with excellent results) ever since. I spend far more time reading, researching and tinkering with pool-related items than I actually spend *in* the pool. Up until Fall 2012, all pool equipment was original, as installed. Alas, the heat exchanger on our 1998 Purex-Triton Minimax 200K btu heater sprang a leak at the end of last season so I'll be putting in a new RayPak 266K btu heater this spring. I'm guessing heaters have come a long way in the last 16 or so years.

After being a software engineer for 22 years at a large, international corporation, life thew me a curveball in 2010 when our local corporate site was shut down and the jobs/work sent overseas. After much thought (and quickly ruling out relocating to St. Paul, MN or Rochester, NY), I decided to pursue something completely different as a vocation, something that would hold hold my interest each and every day...so last summer (08/2012) I managed to secure a position with a pool service, maintenance and management company in the area. I've looked forward to getting up and going to work every day since. I spent the balance of last season as a 'valet', cleaning and maintaining pools in the area and then closing pools when the season drew to a close. For the last 5 months I've been servicing and maintaining an indoor aquatics therapy center with a 60K pool/spa and three 10K gallon therapy tubs. In addition I became a Red Cross certified lifeguard and have been working in that capacity at the center as well. If somebody woulda told me 5 years ago that I'd be doing this, I would have laughed at them. Hopefully the weather cooperates and we'll be getting back to the genuine 'pool stuff' in a few weeks when pool preparation/opening season begins; I've heard it's quite a grind but am really looking forward to it! The things I've learned already from our Sr. Service Technicians is absolutely amazing and every day is a new adventure.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I generally check TFP at every opportunity as there is always something new to learn, especially from everyone here who has real-world experience with such a wide variety of things. And getting 'vocationally' involved with the aquatics industry affords me the opportunity to do something I truly enjoy, which essentially makes it not a 'job' at all. Best decision I've made in the last 10 years...my wife always says it's not fair because most "...people don't like their job but you love yours!"

Who'd a figured when I decided "Yeah, lets have a pool built... that sounds cool" that it would turn into this? Life sure has some interesting twists and turns...

Hello my fellow Ohioan brother, my buddy was just over and we were talking about swimming at our st Patty's Day party last year and pulling 30lbs of corned beef off the smoker at about this time to feed about 60 people. And now we have this garbage! Congrats on the life change! Miserable in North canton

Hey, I'm in the Cleveland area as well and going to be building an IG pool this spring. I'm totally overwhelmed but this site is slowly helping me to understand the process a bit more. Rios Pools is going to be our PB.