Pentair Mastertemp 400 - No Power?

msully

Mar 16, 2013
Hi folks,

First post. I have a Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. Last week we turned on the heater to heat the spa and the heater did not ignite. I went over to the equipment and see no power at the control panel on the unit. I did see a plastic bucket had blown over and was laying on the exhaust vent. I can see a small amount of the bucket melted due to the exhaust heat, probably from the last time we used the spa. Is there some kind of thermal overload breaker or any circuit breaker within the unit itself. I have checked the sub panel and there are no beakers thrown there. What else would cause no power at the unit itself?

Any ehl would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP
Do you have any LED lights on your control panel showing?
Is the "service Heater or Service System " indicator lights on?
I recently fixed my Mastertemp 400 but my problem was the HSI-igniter.
Pentair has an excellent customer service department. 800-831-7133 (CA) I'm not sure if they are open on weekends but they will help you with diagnostics of your system. You will need a multimeter and a few small tools.
The system has a stack flue sensor which may have been triggered due to the obstruction of exhaust gases

OK I have power to the unit and 24 volts coming out of the transformer. Nothing happens when I turn on the heater. No blower, heater does not start nor is there anything lit up on the control pad. What's the next thing to check? I see a few sensors, should I start bypassing them to see what happens?

There is a fuse inside the control panel in the heater. Check and see if it is blown. I believe is 1 1/4 amp fuse. Good luck finding them. If you do replace it and it blows right away when you turn it on, then you probably have a short on the systems board of which then the board needs to be replaced.

I'm having a similar problem. Power on the terminal board seems right. I am getting 240 on red/black and 120 on black/yellow and red/yellow now.

I have tested the fuse on the terminal board for continuity. How do I test the voltage coming off of the transformer?

Any luck? I am having the same problem but it is in predictable, one day it happens and other day it does not. Some times the heater is on pool I switch to spa and it goes dead no lights on display as it has no power at all. On the control panel Display it shows that spa is on and heater is on, but nothing shows on the display on the heater on any of the leds is lit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.