Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compupool any good?

1. Back To Top    #1

Compupool any good?

I was looking at these SWG's for my inground pool. Didn't knowif anyone here had any experience with them...

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Compupool any good?

Welcome to TFP!

They have gotten better than average reviews on the forum.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I just put in a Circupool RJ60
    I was impresed by the quality of the unit , the entire back of the unit is a cast heatsink to disapate heat . The clear cell is also cool !!! A WOW factor !!
    You can see it making clorine !!!
    So far so good only time will tell .
    I got the extra long cell cable 15 foot, and i replaced the power cord (6 foot) , with a longer wire in conduet. I put the unit up under the eaves to protect it , no rain and no direct sunlight ..
    Hope that helps it last longer , but it did add a few days to the install, if you count getting supplies.
    But overall it looks like a well constructed unit ..
    Pics to follow soon ....
    Sean Hannon
    30,000 Gallons gunite pool Coated by Fibertech
    Hayward Pro Grid 72 / Hayward multiport
    Circupool V3 VS pump
    CirCupool SWG RJ 60, 400.000 btu raypak , Built in SPA

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have found them to be VERY unsafe.

The 220 V power cord is basically plugged into the back of the cell with two prongs that can and have come loose.

At my friends pool he had replaced the cord once because it became loose and melted. After the second time the cord to the cell came loose it melted the cell and basically there was 220V power in contact with flowing water.

I have pictures of all -- and the company told me not to worry. They would honor the warranty and give a 30 percent credit toward a new system.

Again I sent them pics of the melted cord, melted cell, and explained how electricity can travel through water....

This connection should be hard wired, soldered and water tight.

Will find the pics and post them up.

Sure the cells work, but the cord is a huge concern when your running 220V and its a press on, not even screw or locking cord.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I will keep a eye on that .. Thanks ..
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm happy with my unit overall. Couple of hickups. Nothing that the company didn't take care of.
    Here's my story: cpsc48-install-mostly-new-reports-of-pool-conditions-t32089.html?hilit=compupool%20install
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by blakeusa
    I have found them to be VERY unsafe.

The 220 V power cord is basically plugged into the back of the cell with two prongs that can and have come loose.

At my friends pool he had replaced the cord once because it became loose and melted. After the second time the cord to the cell came loose it melted the cell and basically there was 220V power in contact with flowing water.
    Blake, I'm pretty sure that the cell doesn't see 220 volts or anything even close to that. Where did you get that info?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Salt cells use DC Voltage. Not AC.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

Only minor issue I had was a calibration thing. Simple to fix. Other than that, no issues at all.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

I installed a RJ45 this past weekend, it was very easy and seems to be producing chlorine nicely, I can see it through the cell!
    Agree with Bama Rambler the cell does not operate on 220-240vac, but on a reduced dc voltage I believe its 24vdc, but I'll have to check.
    But still, you don't want 24vdc running through your pool either.
    22,000 Gal. Pebble-tech Sand Finish Pool | Pentair Pump(s) | Jandy AquaLink RS6 Controls | CircuPool RJ45 SWG

11. Back To Top    #11

The very way a swcg works is by passing current through the water between the cell plates and it's perfectly safe. Yes it's low voltage DC and any stray voltage gets drained off.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

CIRCUPOOL PICS OF MY INSTALL ..
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Pic
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

14. Back To Top    #14

You must be really tall!
    22,000 Gal. Pebble-tech Sand Finish Pool | Pentair Pump(s) | Jandy AquaLink RS6 Controls | CircuPool RJ45 SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

The sun here just destroys plastic !!! And the kids wont mess with it !!!
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

16. Back To Top    #16

Circupool RJ60 update , well it's been a few weeks now and the unit is dialed in at 60% and 6 hours run time .
    The chemical's are on the money and stable, using the recommended settings from pool school for Fiberglass, SWG
    Looks like its going to be a awesome clean and sparkling pool this summer with little trouble .
    The TF-100 test kit has made all the difference !!!! Worth every penny !!! If you don't have one it will repay you many times over, and the pool calculater is just awesome !!!! Everybody can't believe how clean the water is !!!!
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

17. Back To Top    #17

CPSC36 on my pool for the third year. Control board was replaced once under warranty; fantastic customer service. Other than that, very trouble-free.
    24000 gal vinyl IG; CPSC36 SWG, TA-60 Sand Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

What % are you running and what run time ???
    I have a RJ60. And a 30k gallon pool .. Running around 50-60 and 6-7 hours
    Think i need to try 40 next..
    Sean Hannon
    Circupool V3 VS pump

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Enclosed are TWO different Circupool Power Cords that melted due to a poor connection with the cell.

This power connection -is pushed onto the back of the salt cell-- with no set screw, twist lock, or securing device etc is unacceptable. And yes this unit's power center runs at 220V.

I have also found the systems to produce chlorine as long as the cell is energized, VS Pentair which only produces when there is water flow.

The second time the cord melted - it also melted the cell. The customer picked up the energizerd cord before they called me to come look at it.

The Company's response was to offer a new system at 20% off. This was after buying the second replacement cord for like $80 and installing it.

I can buy Pentair at 40% off at the pool supply house.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100

20. Back To Top    #20

My Jandy cell cord also melted on me once, 24V is plenty at the amperage they're pushing through them. You can't JUST look at the voltage or amperage, it's a combination of the two. I'm not saying it's totally danger free but it's nowhere near as dangerous as a 220V AC line. Did it damage the cell or control unit?

Sounds like the flow sensor isn't working either.

Either there is a flaw with the connector or it's coming loose somehow would be my guess. It looks like it has a keying notch but you might be able to plug it in rotated 180 degrees and get a bad (flaky or high resistance due to partial contact) connection. Maybe not the best design but there is a chance it could be the fault of the person connecting it or something in the environment knocking it loose.
    17500gal in ground plaster pool and spa in Austin, TX
    Jandy Aqualink RS with PDA
    Sta-Rite pumps and filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast