How to test MPS with TF100

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I use the TF100 for my testing. I have the Nature 2 and use MPS. I have used test strips for the MPS, but would like to start using the TF100. I believe I have seen posts on how to do this, but haven't been able to find them. Can someone tell me how to test MPS with the TF100 or link me to a post that does? Thanks

MPS normally shows up as {EDIT}FC{EDIT} on the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Taylor K-2041 or R-0867 will prevent MPS from affecting the test. If you do the test twice, once with R-0867 and once without you can measure the MPS level. There are instructions on using R-0867 here.

MPS tends to dissipate fairly quickly, so it is rarely worth bothering to measure the residual level.

MPS shows up as CC in the DPD test, but shows up as FC in the FAS-DPD test unless you have no chlorine (FC) at all. The reason is that the FAS titrating reagent reacts with MPS so has you count extra drops to get rid of it. If you have any chlorine at all, then you'll get an initial pink and when counting FAS drops the MPS will be counted with the chlorine (FC). If you don't have any chlorine so don't get an initial pink, then you'll go to the next step to measure CC and you'll count the MPS at that stage. MPS reacts with the potassium iodide (R-0003) in the CC portion of the FAS-DPD and DPD tests, but it also reacts with the FAS drops of FAS-DPD as I noted.

Also, the Taylor K-2042 is far more economical since it's only 18% more expensive but has 167% more reagent.

MPS normally shows up as {EDIT}FC{EDIT} on the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Taylor K-2041 or R-0867 will prevent MPS from affecting the test. If you do the test twice, once with R-0867 and once without you can measure the MPS level. There are instructions on using R-0867 here.

MPS tends to dissipate fairly quickly, so it is rarely worth bothering to measure the residual level.

These instructions say to use 25ml water sample. WHen i use my TF100 Chlorind FAS-DPD test i use the 10 ML water sample. So how much of the R-0867 do i use in the 10 ML water sample?

These instructions say to use 25ml water sample. WHen i use my TF100 Chlorind FAS-DPD test i use the 10 ML water sample. So how much of the R-0867 do i use in the 10 ML water sample?

The TF-100 instructs people to use a 10mL sample test simply as a means of giving the pool owner the maximum number of tests. In that case, your R-0871 titrant sensitivity is 0.5ppm per drop. However, there is no reason why you can't do a 25mL sample volume test using the same protocol that Taylor has in their instructions (two heaping scoops of R-0870 powder) and get the finer resolution for the titrant drops (0.2ppm/drop).

The reagents that come in the TF-100 are EXACTLY the same as the reagents in the Taylor K-2006 kit. So follow the procedure on the Taylor site for the test when MPS is present and use the reagent amounts and water sample volumes they specify.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.