Are these tri-chlor tabs OK?

Durk

Jun 14, 2007
New Jersey
[Don’t start with the tab hate please. I use them in the Spring when my CYA is low until it gets to 35ppm and then a few weeks when I am out of town. I usually finish around 50 before I close. I use LC 90% of the time.]

Costco now carries Aqua-Chem Plus tabs at a good price in 40 lb. tubs. This is off the MSDS:

Component CAS-No. Weight percent
Trichloro-s-triazinetrione 87-90-1 94.05 %
Trade secret 002 3 - 8 %
Trade secret 141 < 2 %
I e-mailed Aqua-chem to ask about the other stuff and I asked specifically about copper. They said:
The additional chemicals are proprietary, but they do not contain copper. All Aqua Chem products containing copper must have copper listed under the active ingredients (i.e. Shock Xtra Blue and Algae Eliminator Max).

I’d say they are OK. Opinions??

6% of stuff ... why not at least tell us what it is supposed to do. I have seen some that list additives to soften your skin ... why?

Likely the biggest worry is copper, so I too would guess they are ok.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
6% of stuff ... why not at least tell us what it is supposed to do. I have seen some that list additives to soften your skin ... why?

Likely the biggest worry is copper, so I too would guess they are ok.

Oh, yeah, what it does:

PLUS - the tablet that does more than just kill bacteria and control algae by also softening your water and protecting your pool equipment.

This is a step up from the HTH with copper they carried last year that I refused to buy.

I am likely to get some tablets myself to raise my CYA over the next couple weeks ... Only need like 10 lbs. As much as I don't want to shop there, likely will get the Leslie's jumbo tabs ... at least they are closer to 100% pure I think and I can buy a smaller bucket.

Durk:

Tabs (a.k.a., pucks) are OK to use for the purpose that you are using them (raising CYA and as a temporary source of chlorine while on vacation). You appear to understand the impact of using the trichlor tabs and the effect they have on the pool water and that is the key point. In addition to monitoring the CYA, keep an eye on pH as the pucks tend to be acidic.

I share the same concern that others have posted about the ~6% of "trade secret" stuff. It may not contain copper, but it might contain other metals/ingredients that you may not want in your water. If manufacturer will not state what those ingredients are, I would look elsewhere. When I have to temporarily use pucks, I get a small bucket and look for a concentration of 99% Trichloro-s-triazinetrione.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.