Need pool equipment suggestions for pump & cartridge filters

Ahchoo

Mar 15, 2013
We bought a house with an in ground pool and want to upgrade some of the equipment. As new pool owners I'd like to get your advice on dual speed pump recommendations, as well as, cartridge filter suggestions - what model and size to buy? Prefer either a Hayward or Pentair. Thanks!

Re: Need pool equipment suggestions for pump & cartridge fil

Welcome to tfp, Ahchoo :wave:

Does the current equipment work?

Do you have any water features such as spa jets, waterfalls, etc? Any details you can give us of your plumbing will help with pump selection.

For the filter, your pool is big, so your filter should be too. For your 36000 gallon pool (are you sure of the size?) we would recommend a minimum of 534 sq. ft. cartridge filter.

Practically any two speed 1 HP pump will do well. Personally, I'm partial to the WhisperFlo line. The 1 HP WhisperFlo is larger than the average 1 HP pump, which would be a good match to your larger than average pool.

For the filter I suggest getting a nice large filter, much larger than what you have now. Larger filters are more efficient and can go longer between cleanings. Sand, cartridge, or DE is more of a personal preference than something I can recommend to you.

I have a Hayward swimclear cartridge filter. It seems to do a good job and has been installed for about a year and the gauge has never moved. Granted it is about 1-2 sizes bigger than what I need.

mynewpool said:
I have a Hayward swimclear cartridge filter. It seems to do a good job and has been installed for about a year and the gauge has never moved. Granted it is about 1-2 sizes bigger than what I need.
For cartridge filters, you really can't be too big, with that said, that would be a good choice for the ops pool, as would the other brands above 500 sq. ft. if the op wants to stay with a cartridge.

I am curious how Ahchoo's current filter has been working.

Go with a 1hp 2 speed pump, and the largest cartridge filter you can afford, saves on cleaning. Not that it's hard, just a little time consuming. I have a CC100 on a 17K pool. I've got 2 cartridges that I get to swap in and out.

No additional spa or water feature. All the equipment still work. The pump is making a high pitch noise. From what I been reading, the CF is too small. I want to get a efficient pump and a right size CF.

linen said:
mynewpool said:
For cartridge filters, you really can't be too big, with that said, that would be a good choice for the ops pool, as would the other brands above 500 sq. ft. if the op wants to stay with a cartridge.

I am curious how Ahchoo's current filter has been working.

I clean the filter every 2-3 weeks. It get dirty fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.