Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need pool equipment suggestions for pump & cartridge filters

1. Back To Top    #1

Need pool equipment suggestions for pump & cartridge filters

We bought a house with an in ground pool and want to upgrade some of the equipment. As new pool owners I'd like to get your advice on dual speed pump recommendations, as well as, cartridge filter suggestions - what model and size to buy? Prefer either a Hayward or Pentair. Thanks!
    33k IG plaster
    Advantage pool pump 1.5 hp
    Compupool cpsc36
    Hayward / Leslie superclear CF 150sq/ft
    TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need pool equipment suggestions for pump & cartridge fil

Welcome to tfp, Ahchoo

Does the current equipment work?

Do you have any water features such as spa jets, waterfalls, etc? Any details you can give us of your plumbing will help with pump selection.

For the filter, your pool is big, so your filter should be too. For your 36000 gallon pool (are you sure of the size?) we would recommend a minimum of 534 sq. ft. cartridge filter.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Practically any two speed 1 HP pump will do well. Personally, I'm partial to the WhisperFlo line. The 1 HP WhisperFlo is larger than the average 1 HP pump, which would be a good match to your larger than average pool.

For the filter I suggest getting a nice large filter, much larger than what you have now. Larger filters are more efficient and can go longer between cleanings. Sand, cartridge, or DE is more of a personal preference than something I can recommend to you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Hayward swimclear cartridge filter. It seems to do a good job and has been installed for about a year and the gauge has never moved. Granted it is about 1-2 sizes bigger than what I need.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    I have a Hayward swimclear cartridge filter. It seems to do a good job and has been installed for about a year and the gauge has never moved. Granted it is about 1-2 sizes bigger than what I need.
    For cartridge filters, you really can't be too big, with that said, that would be a good choice for the ops pool, as would the other brands above 500 sq. ft. if the op wants to stay with a cartridge.

I am curious how Ahchoo's current filter has been working.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Go with a 1hp 2 speed pump, and the largest cartridge filter you can afford, saves on cleaning. Not that it's hard, just a little time consuming. I have a CC100 on a 17K pool. I've got 2 cartridges that I get to swap in and out.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

No additional spa or water feature. All the equipment still work. The pump is making a high pitch noise. From what I been reading, the CF is too small. I want to get a efficient pump and a right size CF.
    33k IG plaster
    Compupool cpsc36
    TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    For cartridge filters, you really can't be too big, with that said, that would be a good choice for the ops pool, as would the other brands above 500 sq. ft. if the op wants to stay with a cartridge.

I am curious how Ahchoo's current filter has been working.
    I clean the filter every 2-3 weeks. It get dirty fast.
    33k IG plaster
    Compupool cpsc36
    TF-100