1. Back To Top    #1

Pitting in my grout.

[attachment=1:1nws2epx]photo.JPG[/attachment:1nws2epx]FC: 3ppm
    PH: 7.2
    TA :90
    CYA: 100+
    CH:650

CH from fosset water = 275

I have an issue with the grouting on my coping brickwork pitting. As you can see in the pics. I have high CYA so for the last year I've been using 12% Liquid chlorine and Dry acid (to control high PH drift) and nothing else. I did a 50% drain last year, after I fired the pool guy recommended by the pool builder. The CYA was through the roof and still isn't where I would like it to be.

Is the High CH causing the pitting? It only seem to be at the brickwork closest to the waterline. I have the same coping at the top of the bond beam (3+ feet above water) and it isn't affected with the pitting.

Many thanks

Sean (Southern CA)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15000 Gals, Catridge, IG, plaster, intelliflo VS-3050

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pitting in my grout.

No high CH would not cause the pitting. I would think low CH and low pH may do it ... though there may be something else at work.

Just a note that a FC of 3 ppm is WAY too low if your CYA is over 100 ppm. You should be maintaining the FC above 7 ppm to prevent algae problems. Of course this has nothing to do with your question though

Will have to wait for someone who knows more than me to answer that question.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

With high CH levels it is nearly impossible for that to be chemical pitting. It looks to me like the grout was improperly installed in some way so that it wasn't as sound as it should have been.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It looks to me like the grout was improperly installed in some way so that it wasn't as sound as it should have been.
    +1 on that. I imagine that grout can be removed with very little effort.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies.

I think it probably is poor installation of the grout. I remember it was a custom color they had to mix on site. The probably got the consistency wrong.

I'll start getting quotes for repair.

Thanks

Sean
    15000 Gals, Catridge, IG, plaster, intelliflo VS-3050