Using filter drain to pump pool?

Sep 18, 2012
Lake Nona, Florida
I'm trying pump a few feet of water out of my pool to address a leak. I thought I could get a 2" hose and do it faster, but after a bunch of futzing with it I gave up and went back to pumping out through a garden hose. For future reference, how is this done?

The bottom of my filter has a drain that is really big - 3" or so OD on the threads... I was able to get a 2" pipe inside and get the 2" blue hose on that... but the whole thing was held together with duct tape. The tape might have been OK but with the drain open I could not get the pump to prime? The same thing happens with the hosebib on the outlet open too.. the pump will not prime.

Is there a trick?

It is a cartridge filter ... so guess they do not have a multi-port.

I think ideally you would want to find a fitting that will screw into the drain. Then either add a ball-valve and then a hose fitting and leave the setup in place, or just remove it when you are done.

Is there a union between the pump and filter? If so you could remove the filter, hook a hose up and turn the pump on. Lots of water pumped out fast! (once you figure out why it won't prime that is)
Possibly junk in the main drain- can you push air back through and see bubble coming out the drain or is your skimmer connected to the main drain and the little slide valve in there closed?

Just my $.02....but something just don't sound right here. (Yes, I am southern). If the filter is "down-line" from the pump, then the "open" drain opening should not keep the pump from keeping or getting a prime UNLESS the filter line/drain is sucking the water out of the pump. Just my thoughts...hope this gives you some ideas. Good Luck!!

samiguy said:
If the filter is "down-line" from the pump, then the "open" drain opening should not keep the pump from keeping or getting a prime

I didn't think what was on the output side of the pump would matter either. But, I've had it happen twice now... once with the filter drain open and once with the hosebib mounted directly to the pump output open. The pump would not prime. Close it off, and the pump primed quickly. It could be my imagination - 'cause I agree I don't understand why the output matters...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.