Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using filter drain to pump pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Using filter drain to pump pool?

I'm trying pump a few feet of water out of my pool to address a leak. I thought I could get a 2" hose and do it faster, but after a bunch of futzing with it I gave up and went back to pumping out through a garden hose. For future reference, how is this done?

The bottom of my filter has a drain that is really big - 3" or so OD on the threads... I was able to get a 2" pipe inside and get the 2" blue hose on that... but the whole thing was held together with duct tape. The tape might have been OK but with the drain open I could not get the pump to prime? The same thing happens with the hosebib on the outlet open too.. the pump will not prime.

Is there a trick?
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Zodiac MX-8, Fafco solar panels
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Using filter drain to pump pool?

Hi, Dave,

Can you just set your multiport on waste or backwash?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It is a cartridge filter ... so guess they do not have a multi-port.

I think ideally you would want to find a fitting that will screw into the drain. Then either add a ball-valve and then a hose fitting and leave the setup in place, or just remove it when you are done.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there a union between the pump and filter? If so you could remove the filter, hook a hose up and turn the pump on. Lots of water pumped out fast! (once you figure out why it won't prime that is)
    Possibly junk in the main drain- can you push air back through and see bubble coming out the drain or is your skimmer connected to the main drain and the little slide valve in there closed?
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just my $.02....but something just don't sound right here. (Yes, I am southern). If the filter is "down-line" from the pump, then the "open" drain opening should not keep the pump from keeping or getting a prime UNLESS the filter line/drain is sucking the water out of the pump. Just my thoughts...hope this gives you some ideas. Good Luck!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by samiguy
    If the filter is "down-line" from the pump, then the "open" drain opening should not keep the pump from keeping or getting a prime
    I didn't think what was on the output side of the pump would matter either. But, I've had it happen twice now... once with the filter drain open and once with the hosebib mounted directly to the pump output open. The pump would not prime. Close it off, and the pump primed quickly. It could be my imagination - 'cause I agree I don't understand why the output matters...
    7500 gal gunite/stonescapes, iAqualink RS-8, Jandy 2HP VS-Flopro, Jandy 200 sqft Cartridge filter
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

7. Back To Top    #7

I added a drain to my cartridge filter. 1.5 threaded pvc fitting, schedule 40 and a shut off valve works great.
    Heres what I did
    viewtopic.php?t=35088
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

I just realized that at least part of my problem getting the pump to prime is the fact that I'm pumping down the water and I now need to lift it an extra 2 1/2'... It still seem that having the open lines right at the output of the pump causes issues...
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa

9. Back To Top    #9

Somewhere around 3' feet below pump level it starts to get really problematic to prime the pump, regardless of output configuration.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Somewhere around 3' feet below pump level it starts to get really problematic to prime the pump
    yep... that was about where I was. Learning and learning over here - I'm 'bout ready to do more swimming and less learning soon.
    DreamMaker X-500 Spa