Black "PVCI" pipe and fittings / compatible with white PVC?

LA2240

Bronze Supporter
Dec 1, 2012
My pump/filter/heater piping and fittings are black plastic (mostly 2") and incorporate black Pentair/Compool 3-way valves. The installation of the system as new was in 2001. The only markings I can find on the fittings, but not the pipe (short sections), is the designation "PVCI" and SCH 40. I am about to do some retrofit to incorporate a new pump. No existing unions at the pump, so I have to cut it out. [yes, I will install unions with the new pump.]

All the fittings I can buy locally are white PVC SCH 40.

I have trouble finding any references to PVCI.

Is PVCI compatible with white PVC?

Any particular PVC cement I need to use? e.g. regular PVC cement or all purpose cement?

Re: Black "PVCI" pipe and fittings / compatible with white P

Possibly stupid question...they aren't painted black, right? Pumps and valves are typically CPVC, and you glue those to regular PVC using a universal cement (should be labeled for PVC, ABS, CPVC, etc).

Rigid black pipe is generally ABS. Flexible black pipe is generally poly. However, PVC does come in black, though I've only seen it as a special order thing. If you use the universal cement you should be fine (as long as it isn't poly).

It is rigid black pipe, not flexible. Note that the mating fittings stamped PVCI SCH 40 are black as well.

From what I find the I just means ... PVC Type I. There is also a PVC Type II (not sure if that is just called PVC).
http://www.cheresources.com/plpipezz.shtml

Looks like the Type I vs II just have slightly different physical qualities (strength, etc). So I would think PVCI and PVC are fully compatible with PVC solvent (my opinion).

You will want to use a universal solvent if you are connecting the PVC or PVCI to CPVC (the valves, etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.