Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black "PVCI" pipe and fittings / compatible with white PVC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Black "PVCI" pipe and fittings / compatible with white PVC?

My pump/filter/heater piping and fittings are black plastic (mostly 2") and incorporate black Pentair/Compool 3-way valves. The installation of the system as new was in 2001. The only markings I can find on the fittings, but not the pipe (short sections), is the designation "PVCI" and SCH 40. I am about to do some retrofit to incorporate a new pump. No existing unions at the pump, so I have to cut it out. [yes, I will install unions with the new pump.]

All the fittings I can buy locally are white PVC SCH 40.

I have trouble finding any references to PVCI.

Is PVCI compatible with white PVC?

Any particular PVC cement I need to use? e.g. regular PVC cement or all purpose cement?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black "PVCI" pipe and fittings / compatible with white P

Possibly stupid question...they aren't painted black, right? Pumps and valves are typically CPVC, and you glue those to regular PVC using a universal cement (should be labeled for PVC, ABS, CPVC, etc).
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Natural black; not painted.

4. Back To Top    #4

Rigid black pipe is generally ABS. Flexible black pipe is generally poly. However, PVC does come in black, though I've only seen it as a special order thing. If you use the universal cement you should be fine (as long as it isn't poly).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

It is rigid black pipe, not flexible. Note that the mating fittings stamped PVCI SCH 40 are black as well.

6. Back To Top    #6

From what I find the I just means ... PVC Type I. There is also a PVC Type II (not sure if that is just called PVC).
    http://www.cheresources.com/plpipezz.shtml

Looks like the Type I vs II just have slightly different physical qualities (strength, etc). So I would think PVCI and PVC are fully compatible with PVC solvent (my opinion).

You will want to use a universal solvent if you are connecting the PVC or PVCI to CPVC (the valves, etc).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I was able to find the provider of the fittings (Spears). Parts look like they are all PVC, despite the black color:

http://goo.gl/xmpqH