Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on Salt Resistant Coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on Salt Resistant Coping

I am about to have a 28' Tuscany (kidney bean shaped) fiberglass pool from Leisure Pools installed on Monday 3/18. We have agreed on Belgard Urbana stone pavers for the decking and the pool will have a salt system. However, there still has not been a final decision made on the coping. The dealer had suggested a different brand of Belgard stones with a tumbled look, but I really want a bullnose edge on my coping. The problem is that apparently, Belgard does not make coping stones with a bullnose edge that are salt resistant. The dealer and I are looking for a solution that provides the bullnose edge, is salt resistant, and that will go with the Belgard Urbana pavers in Brittany Beige color. It should be a material that will not have to be constantly resealed and that comes with a lifetime guarantee (like the pavers) and that is reasonably cost effective. I am thinking not more than $15 a square foot. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have attached a 3D model of the pool design below in case that helps, but it doesn't really show the coping in a realistic fashion.

[attachment=0:1h76865h]pool3.jpg[/attachment:1h76865h]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool Build in Progress: 29' kidney bean shaped fiberglass pool, Tuscany model from Leisure Pools, 12400 gallons, 1 1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair Intelliflo Salt System 40, 200 square feet Pentair cartridge filter, 1 skimmer w/ 3 returns, LED lighting, Belgard Mega-Arbel pavers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on Salt Resistant Coping

Read this thread discussing a similar topic:
    swg-vs-chlorine-with-borate-vs-chlorine-with-ozone-t56420.html

Although it is more concerns with natural stones. I would think that any concrete-type paver with no have a problem with the slightly higher salt content.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I read that whole thread and it confirmed that I should stay away from the flagstone as I had been told by multiple pool vendors. I was leaning towards coping made of either brick or concrete, but still really uncertain as to what a durable yet cost effective and low maintenance option would be.
    Pool Build in Progress: 29' kidney bean shaped fiberglass pool, Tuscany model from Leisure Pools, 12400 gallons, 1 1/2 HP Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair Intelliflo Salt System 40, 200 square feet Pentair cartridge filter, 1 skimmer w/ 3 returns, LED lighting, Belgard Mega-Arbel pavers.

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't imagine anything lower maintenance than stained concrete. Well maybe unstained concrete.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

5. Back To Top    #5

Why not poured in place concrete coping? If you hire the right guy, they can make it look just like real rock...
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

6. Back To Top    #6

I will check with my builder, but I believe the poured in place concrete coping is extra. I am already $10K over budget and I have a hard limit at 40K that I don't want to exceed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Both concrete and concrete based pavers are essentially immune to salt. Brick is a little more variable, but generally does well.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

To save costs you could have the builder do a cantaliever coping ribbon (18-24inch)around the pool edge and you or any landscape guy could do a patio stone deck up against the coping.
    Or
    If you want to DIY the whole deck and coping, you could do the concrete pour yourself. The coping forms are available online or local (shop around for best price) my stegemeier forms only cost $250. I had one adult and two teenagers and we did the whole pour in about four hours. (don't DIY unless you have experienced helpers or are only doing the coping ribbon as described above) it was back breaking work but turned out fine.
    Ron- Kansas. IG fiberglass, Riviera 30 Freeform 13600 gallons,
    EasyTouch 4 w/IC20 SWCG, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp, 2 speed 220 pump, Hayward ProGrid 4820 DE filter using Eco Klean instead of DE, 2 Savi Melody 12v 5 color LEDs, Raypack 266k btu millivolt heater, Arctic Armour Mesh custom safety cover (Total self Install) TF-100 test kit w/Magic stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am definitely not up for the DIY option. My PB is kind of pushing me away from stained concrete. They have a preference for Belgard pavers I think because they have an ICPI certification from Belgard which allows them to offer a lifetime paver warranty and a 5 year installation warranty. In regards to concrete, they say that it is inevitable that it will crack and that when that happens, trying to patch it doesn't look good. So, we are now looking at a bullnose travertine coping stone from Durango Stone and potentially doing the whole deck in travertine as well. I am trying to determine if we can save money and still have a nice look by using the Belgard pavers and wall stones with Durango Stone coping and wall caps. Any other ideas or anyone with experience in this area would be greatly appreciated.

10. Back To Top    #10

I did precast concrete coping for my pool. It was roughly $16 a linear foot.

The downside was the 5 weeks to get it made.
    Pool is DONE!
    Pentair Intelliflo VS3050
    Pentair Easy Touch 8 + actuators + swg
    Pentair IntelliPH
    Pentair 400btu HD heater
    3- Jandy WaterColor LED's
    Hayward C5030 525sqft cartridge filter
    Waterway spa blower