Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Protecting Pump Station

1. Back To Top    #1

Flower Mound, TX

Protecting Pump Station

Sorry about all the new topics I have been putting out there, but wanted to cover all my bases.

A coworker who used to work on pools, suggested I protect the pump station via, canvas top or wood covering. He told me the backwash sight gauge will not last long in the direct sun light, and just the all around protection from the elements. He used to work on pool equipment that was in bad shape from the outside elements.

I'm more thinking canvas, but of course moving it off the heater when heating the spa. Any suggestions, or am I thinking about this to hard?

Thanks, John
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Protecting Pump Station

I was fortunate to have a garage in the correct location so my stuff is indoors and I have not once regretted it.

If you have room, a structure can help reduce pump noise a great deal.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

My pool equipment is all indoors. You cannot hear the pump outside at all. Love it.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

NW PA, halfway between Pittsburgh and Erie in the PA snowbelt

Just getting my cheap Intex last year with stock cartridge filter ans SWG, this year I planned to upgrade to sand and move it away from the pool a bit. I have a slab extention on the porch and want to get one of those plastic deck storage boxes and put the equipment in there to keep them out of the elements.

22' round Intex UltraFrame pool, Intex 633T 2500gph paper cartridge filter/pump
    with broken Intex SWG, using bleach this year
    TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Youngsville NC

On the flip side - all my pool equipment is outside (although it is in the shade). I now remove the pump over the winter as part of my pool closing, and put it back while the pool is open. I have NEVER had my sight glass on the filter cloud over.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Nature2 Express , Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter