New Above Ground Pool Owner - Shopping List

Mar 15, 2013
Camp Hill, PA
I am having a new 24' round above ground pool installed in the next few weeks (by end of April). I purchased a 24', 54" high Revelation by Vogue, along with a Hayward cartridge filter, and the mineral system. I am also having a HAppy Bottom installed. Anyway, being this is my first pool I am looking for suggestions from those seasoned pool owners on what else I should buy. Such as any accessories, storage containers and other day to day items to make owning a pool a little easier. I have searched and searched but have not been able to find anything in form of a list or suggested items. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Update: I didn't really explain myself as well as I should have. The pool is being professionally installed by a very reputable pool and spa company. It comes with all the cleaning supplies such as the pole, hose, vac head , net, brush. Winter and solar covers. Hard plumbed pump and filter. There is a roll down ladder that will be converted to attach to the deck after the pool is installed (having a new larger deck built to come up to the pool). I was looking for any ideas for equipment storage, pool toys, handy equipment, anything that may make day to day operations and fun easier.

#1 is read Pool School a few times, understand the BBB method
#2 is get a quality drop based test kit, the ones linked here are well priced and all you'll need - don't use strips.

A pool pump timer is nice to have, solar panels are nice.

A dedicated electrical circuit for the pump is required.

Good luck!

^pretty much sums it up! Try to be consistant with your chemicals and dosing. There are enough chemicals out there to make your head spin, so do read up on how to maintain your pool properly and soon enough it will become second nature!

Welcome.

You'll probably want a pole with a brush and leaf rake. Some way to vacuum, either a head and hose on the pole or an automatic system. Does the pool come with a ladder or stairs? Do you have a deck? With a deck then stairs are fine, without you need the ladder portion to stairs or a ladder for both sides. Depending, you'll probably want swimsuits.:) Pool toys if you have kids, or are one :), maybe floats or beverage holders. There are all sorts of things you can get for the pool. Safety and Cleaning are the most important to start with, after that your inclinations and budget are the limit.

Welcome to tfp, jehoyer :wave:

I would skip the "mineral system", it is not needed with a properly chlorinated pool and it typically adds metals to your water, commonly copper, which can stain the pool and turn blond hair green.

Definitely follow cramers advice and invest in a proper test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Also, make sure you do not skimp on on filter size and conversly do not go too big on the pump. For your ~13000 gallon pool we would recommend a cartridge filter at least 194 sq. ft. For a pump a 1 hp 2-speed would probably be a good choice.

having a new larger deck built to come up to the pool

Tip: Make sure the deck doesn't interfere with the top seats on the pool. You'll want to have easy access to remove the top seats for liner replacements. Of course if they are using a true beaded liner this isn't as important.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.