Making the jump to a Doughboy from our old Intex

armywife1996

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 30, 2009
Oklahoma
We pine for an inground but that is just not in the cards for us now. So, a partial-bury Doughboy it is. We debated about getting the large oval and would have loved it, but decided we can get plenty of pool with more decking (and hopefully some landscaping!) in exchange for the extra $$$ the oval/install would have cost.

We bought a 32' round Desert Spring. We are getting a partial-bury and a 7' deep end (or, since it's a circle perhaps 'half' might be more accurate than 'end' lol). We are supposed to start install this next Wednesday. I plan to post pics (cuz there is nothing I enjoy more here than seeing pics of work in progress! :-D ).

I have a few quick questions to get me started:

I'm guesstimating that we will have about 30000 gallons in the pool. Does this seem right?

And in regards to the CYA, what would be the best method to add it to a pool this size? With our old intex, I just dissolved some in a bucket and added it to the pool over the course of a few days.

And what level of CYA should I be shooting to maintain? The pool will be in full sun all day basically.

Thanks!

You can add CYA the same way you have been or add it to a sock over the return. You also want to be around 50 for CYA atleast. It will just take more to get there because there is more water.

Post lots of pics! :mrgreen:

Digging out the deep side.

Sand is going in.

Walls are going up.

Walls are up. It's getting dark so time to wrap it up for the night.

There was some more action today and a break and momentum that I will post a little later. Have to run for now.

Re: Making the jump to a Doughboy from our old Intex Update

Well, this is how it went down. The next day they came back and finished the sand work and then started to drop the liner in. It was pretty chilly, windy and overcast. The forecast for the day was supposed to be partially sunny and 74. Gotta love Oklahoma.

They were struggling a bit trying to stretching things out the way they wanted them. They started filling with water and hopped in to try to work out the wrinkles and move things around where they wanted them.

Eventually, they gave up the ghost and said they would have to stop and come back to finish it when it warms up some more because it just wasn't gonna turn out. They filled up the bottom of the pool to the walls and back filled around the pool a bit to prevent any wash outs in case it rained before they could come back and started to clean up the site a bit. Two of the guys left and then, a short time later the sun arrived and the temps rose. I was watching out of the window and the guy who was still working threw his hands up and looked like he was cursing the sky. :-D At least I got one laugh out of the situation.

The plan is for them to come back when it warms up and pump out the water, reset the liner and finish everything up.

My question is, is my liner going to be ok sitting there barely full? I see a 'sludge' line of good old Oklahoma red dirt forming at the waterline. Will this stain the liner?

This is what we are looking at for now:

Fields said:
Your pool looks great!! How long did it take to completely fill?

That's a hard question to answer. :) We used two fill pools, emptied those into the pool, had the install delayed, refilled the two pools before they came back. They brought another large pool and pumped the water out into that one while reseating the liner. Then pumped all those pools back in and used two hoses from our house and our neighbor's hose and it took about another day. Lots of water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very nice! Thanks for the pics!

Are you going to do a deck later on or are you just going to landscape around the pool?

Casey said:
Very nice! Thanks for the pics!

Are you going to do a deck later on or are you just going to landscape around the pool?

We are planning a DIY deck project as we speak. Kind of struggling with where to begin on it all. Never built a deck before. :scratch: But we have several 'decks for dummies' books. LOL Have mercy.

Make sure you put the deck around the shallow end! LOL :mrgreen:

My husband took a few days off of work and, with the help of my brother-in-law, we began our deck journey.
We did the posts on a Friday and had some other commitments so didn't begin the framing until Sunday.

We got the framing done in two days. Brother-in-law had to go back to work so we were left to fend for ourselves on the rest. :shock:

We need to finish up the deck boards, start the stairs and railing and then we will be done. Hoping we can make decent progress but with hubby back to work, it may take a bit longer. Will continue to update with progress.

That is beautiful! We installed one like that in 2006. We love it and receive compliments on it.

I honestly think that dollar for dollar in a limited pool use climate it's the way to go. I know you don't want to hear this now but as our kids have grown we find we use ours less and less. Still love it but don't use it like we once did. I'm so glad now that we didn't go full inground. Someday, God willing, when we CHOOSE to we can easily remove the pool, spruce up the landscaping, and move on to the next phase of our yard enjoyment if we so desire.

Pool and deck look GREAT!

I think you are going to find it easier to care for a larger pool than it was with the Intex. Higher water volume usually means changes in the water chemistry aren't so abrupt as they are in a smaller volume.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.