Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PB says black granite liner will look dirty.....

1. Back To Top    #1

PB says black granite liner will look dirty.....

We are at the point where we have to pick the liner very soon and I wanted a black granite liner. My pool builder says I will hate it and it will always look dirty. I am curious as to thoughts on this, plus do you have pictures if you happen to have this liner.. If we do not go that route we will probably go sandstone color... Thanks in advance for any help on this huge decision.
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PB says black granite liner will look dirty.....

Welcome to TFP!

A black or nearly black liner will show dirt fairly clearly, but so will a very light liner color, and only when it is in fact dirty.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Personally I think that sandstone liners look great, I wish I had one of those.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

4. Back To Top    #4

We will be installing black granite liner in the next 10 days or so. I will posts pics when in. I have only seen photos online and not in person so I have my fingers crossed that it will look as I had hoped.
    18x36 kidney 20,000 gallons IG vinyl. Pentair Easy Touch 8 w/IntelliChlor IC40. Triton II TR100. Pentair Intellifllo Variable Speed. Waterfall/Jump Rock. 2 Pentair Intellibrite lights. TF-100 Test Kit. And a very happy husband who gets to play in the pool without having to take care of it.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ksnewman
    We will be installing black granite liner in the next 10 days or so. I will posts pics when in. I have only seen photos online and not in person so I have my fingers crossed that it will look as I had hoped.
    Awesome. I appreciate that.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by cramar
    Personally I think that sandstone liners look great, I wish I had one of those.
    They look fabulous IMO! I had a sandy rock bottom in my old liner which is my avatar.

I'd really like to see a black liner though!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, took the plunge and ordered the black granite liner. I will post pictures when it is in.

8. Back To Top    #8

i would think the black liner will be sun faded to grey fairly soon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Ksnewman

any pics yet?

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, I have some. Trying to figure out how to post. Anybody care to help a guy out?

11. Back To Top    #11

Register a http://www.photobucket.com account, and post the links!

Voila.
    ~31k gallon 18x36 IG, Vinyl LoopLoc Sahara, Hayward C-750 75sq' Cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS3050, SGS Breeze760 SWG, Homemade Aerators, SmartPool Nitro 52 Wall Climber, TFT100 XL, Borates, and a partridge in a pear tree :)

12. Back To Top    #12

I figured it out. I started a constuction post in under constuction if you want to take a look.

new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

13. Back To Top    #13

did you go with black and have photos?

14. Back To Top    #14

Looking for black liner pics as well!!! I tried looking at the link to your pool build but no pics. Do you happen to have some updated pics, have any comments on how the dark color has held up?

15. Back To Top    #15

When i worked for a pool service company we serviced a black pool (plaster) and it looked awesome! It had a great stone coping and patio to match (looked like slate but was probably something else). I went with a blue liner in my pool but I would go with the black anytime.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

PB says black granite liner will look dirty.....

I think there was a nice wooded setting in NC where a member built a liner pool on a hilly site in the last two years. I recall it looking awesome but can't comment on whether it will look dirty. That line of thinking tends to sound without basis to me. I think it will look like a dark liner pool. You can see dirt on any color it seems. But some may hide it better. If the lagoon look is what you are going for then get the black liner. They look really cool.

18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

17. Back To Top    #17

I remember that build! That did look awesome!!! There was also the build in FL that had almost black plaster that came out great and she did have some follow up and loved it!!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit