Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How long pump operation with New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

How long pump operation with New Pool

PB recommended 8 hrs a day for pump operation. 1100 - 1900, 4 hrs on high speed then 4 hrs on low speed. New Pool built last Monday. Does that sound correct?

John
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How long pump operation with New Pool

Bit long in my book. Especially this time of year.

I run mine 2 hrs on high speed and 2 on low during the heat of the summer and seems to keep the pool clean enough for me. Plus my pool is bigger than yours but you may need to experiment some because every pool is different and some need more skimming time than others. But I would keep high speed to a minimum unless you really need it. Low speed of a 2 HP pump should give you pretty good skimming action so you shouldn't need much run time on high speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How long pump operation with New Pool

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Bit long in my book. Especially this time of year.

I run mine 2 hrs on high speed and 2 on low during the heat of the summer and seems to keep the pool clean enough for me. Plus my pool is bigger than yours but you may need to experiment some because every pool is different and some need more skimming time than others. But I would keep high speed to a minimum unless you really need it. Low speed of a 2 HP pump should give you pretty good skimming action so you shouldn't need much run time on high speed.
    Thanks Mark,

I'm going to check out how many water features I can operate on low speed, high speed looks better. But I do understand the wear of the pump in high speed. Maybe he wanted me to operate 8 hrs of pump time and 4 hrs of cleaner time because being a new pool! I get my TF-100 test kit this Monday, I'll check out the chemicals and decide if I need to adjust pump run. Thank you

John
    14,000 gallon IG DiamondBrite pool with 2 ea. waterfalls and slide, Hayward Tristar 2.0 HP 2-speed pump, Hayward 3/4 HP waterfeature booster pump, Hayward 48sf DE filter, Hayward PS4 wireless controller, 1 skimmer and 4 returns, Polaris 280 pressure cleaner w/booster pump, 7 x 7 spa w/6 jets, TF-100 Test Kit w/speed stir