In the past the filters have been ruined by sunblock

Mar 14, 2013
hi, I'm new here and live in NSW, Australia. Just researched this forum because I have friends coming for a few days and like my daughter and grandkids they always heap on the sun block. I have a paper filter and in the past the filters have been ruined by sunblock - it just clogs them up and seems to be permanent. i think that I have solved the problem to some extent by these methods: 1 try to get them to put sunblock on at least 15 mins before swimming (not always successful!) 2. I put an old filter into the filter tank for the duration of the stay plus the next couple of days rather than leave a good filter in. The old one is obviously clogged to some extent as the return pressure is lower. 3. I add chlorine each night for the duration plus the extra couple of days. 4. I then return to the newer filter. It seems to be surviving much better than in the past.

Incidentally my pool used to be salt chlorinated but I have changed to an ioniser. With this I tend to put in a cup of chlorine a week approx, but during visor times, I put in a cup each night.

Hope these suggestions help.

Good swimming everyone.

Re: Good Sunscreen that doesn't leave the Black Gunk

AlexMor said:
hi, I'm new here and live in NSW, Australia. Just researched this forum because I have friends coming for a few days and like my daughter and grandkids they always heap on the sun block. I have a paper filter and in the past the filters have been ruined by sunblock - it just clogs them up and seems to be permanent. i think that I have solved the problem to some extent by these methods: 1 try to get them to put sunblock on at least 15 mins before swimming (not always successful!) 2. I put an old filter into the filter tank for the duration of the stay plus the next couple of days rather than leave a good filter in. The old one is obviously clogged to some extent as the return pressure is lower. 3. I add chlorine each night for the duration plus the extra couple of days. 4. I then return to the newer filter. It seems to be surviving much better than in the past.

Incidentally my pool used to be salt chlorinated but I have changed to an ioniser. With this I tend to put in a cup of chlorine a week approx, but during visor times, I put in a cup each night.

Hope these suggestions help.

Good swimming everyone.

More than likely your problem is lack of chlorine. The ionizer is not a legitimate sanitizer. Maintains chlorine will help oxidize things like sunscreen.

Welcome to TFP!!!

I think the real key is to require a waiting period before they get in the water to let the sunscreen soak in. Plus that is the only way it is really effective.

We generally do not recommend the ionizers / ozone / etc in outdoor pools. We also do not recommend just adding a certain amount of chlorine to the pool each day. We recommend understanding the pools chemistry through accurate testing and then only adding the chemicals that are needed. This allows us to maintain safe pools for the least amount of money.

If you are adding chlorine anyway, what is the point of the ionizer? If you would like to learn more about our methods, see Pool School (button at the upper right).

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

My wife uses sunscreen and swims nearly every day so our cartridge filters mostly have the fleshtone-colored sunscreen since it does not break down very much from chlorine. However, it does not ruin the filters and fairly readily washes out with a hose and then the cartridges get soaked in a cartridge cleaner (one can use TSP or dishwashing detergent). See Cleaning a Cartridge Filter. Fortunately with my oversized filters, I only need to clean them once a year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.