Salt level dropped from 2900ppm to 2600ppm

maxepr1

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2011
DFW
Aqualogic T-15 cell installed, went from 2900 to 2600 in 2 days. I have changed nothing and added/lost no water? reading like around 24V and 4 amps. Tested water with my Aquacheck strips it says 2880? I hate these strips, wildly inaccurate. Cant read the serial number on the cell, but it was replaced I believe 3 years ago. I know the salt is a little low(3000) I'm guessing. But before I dump allot more salt then I need, like to see what you guys think? Cell going south?

I am not sure how fast the cells fails ... but reading low salt levels does seem to be an indicator.

If you are low on salt anyway (according to your test), why not raise the salt closer to the upper range for the SWG and it will likely still function for awhile.

I plan on tossing in salt when I get back from vacation. Mark, I have checked the cell, clean. Since going to BBB, I haven't had to clean it again! Never anything on it.

maxepr1 said:
Aqualogic T-15 cell installed, went from 2900 to 2600 in 2 days. I have changed nothing and added/lost no water? reading like around 24V and 4 amps. Tested water with my Aquacheck strips it says 2880? I hate these strips, wildly inaccurate. Cant read the serial number on the cell, but it was replaced I believe 3 years ago. I know the salt is a little low(3000) I'm guessing. But before I dump allot more salt then I need, like to see what you guys think? Cell going south?

A T-CELL-15 on average lasts about 4 years -- usage, care, etc. can increase/decrease this of course. As a T-CELL gets older the salt level reading on the system tends to read lower. This can be a problem because people just start adding salt and then more salt. Goldline and Hayward products shut down when there is too much salt in the pool. This becomes an issue when a new cell is installed and reads at the actual high level instead of the false low level causing you to dilute the pool water.

Has the water temperature changed much during those 2 days?

A strip is going to give you a different reading from the system just about 100% of the time because of the different test method being used. Most people consider a strip being within 300-400 ppm of their system to be accurate.

Recommend you spend the $20 or so for the Taylor drop style test kit. I no longer have any questions about my salt level. Strips were just to inconsistent and unreliable for me to use. Another one of those things you hit your head against the wall wondering why you didn't get before.....

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.