Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt level dropped from 2900ppm to 2600ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt level dropped from 2900ppm to 2600ppm

Aqualogic T-15 cell installed, went from 2900 to 2600 in 2 days. I have changed nothing and added/lost no water? reading like around 24V and 4 amps. Tested water with my Aquacheck strips it says 2880? I hate these strips, wildly inaccurate. Cant read the serial number on the cell, but it was replaced I believe 3 years ago. I know the salt is a little low(3000) I'm guessing. But before I dump allot more salt then I need, like to see what you guys think? Cell going south?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt level dropped from 2900ppm to 2600ppm

I am not sure how fast the cells fails ... but reading low salt levels does seem to be an indicator.

If you are low on salt anyway (according to your test), why not raise the salt closer to the upper range for the SWG and it will likely still function for awhile.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you try cleaning it? A scaled cell will behave similar to a failing cell.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I plan on tossing in salt when I get back from vacation. Mark, I have checked the cell, clean. Since going to BBB, I haven't had to clean it again! Never anything on it.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by maxepr1
    Aqualogic T-15 cell installed, went from 2900 to 2600 in 2 days. I have changed nothing and added/lost no water? reading like around 24V and 4 amps. Tested water with my Aquacheck strips it says 2880? I hate these strips, wildly inaccurate. Cant read the serial number on the cell, but it was replaced I believe 3 years ago. I know the salt is a little low(3000) I'm guessing. But before I dump allot more salt then I need, like to see what you guys think? Cell going south?
    A T-CELL-15 on average lasts about 4 years -- usage, care, etc. can increase/decrease this of course. As a T-CELL gets older the salt level reading on the system tends to read lower. This can be a problem because people just start adding salt and then more salt. Goldline and Hayward products shut down when there is too much salt in the pool. This becomes an issue when a new cell is installed and reads at the actual high level instead of the false low level causing you to dilute the pool water.

Has the water temperature changed much during those 2 days?

A strip is going to give you a different reading from the system just about 100% of the time because of the different test method being used. Most people consider a strip being within 300-400 ppm of their system to be accurate.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

6. Back To Top    #6

Recommend you spend the $20 or so for the Taylor drop style test kit. I no longer have any questions about my salt level. Strips were just to inconsistent and unreliable for me to use. Another one of those things you hit your head against the wall wondering why you didn't get before.....

Bob E.

7. Back To Top    #7

Josh, water temp. went from 59-62* in the last few days.

8. Back To Top    #8

safetybob, i have the taylor 2006k test kit, is there a way to test salt with that?
    11K SWG Freeform IG pool w/ spa; Bluehaven 550 (hayward mfg) Cartridge Filter; Century Centurion 2HP Pump on pool; Hayward 400H heater; Polaris PB4-60 Pump on cleaner; Hayward Super II Pump on waterfall, Hayward TurboCell GLX-Cell-5; AquaLogic PS8, Taylor 2006k
    Pool Chlorinator @ 80%; Filter from 11AM-6PM, Cleaner from 11AM-2PM

9. Back To Top    #9

No. Salt is a separate test kit.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!