New to pool - adjusting pH and TA

Sim

Mar 14, 2013
Seattle
Just moved into a house which has an inbuilt in ground pool. I have never owned a pool before and trying to learn the chemistry portion of maintaining the pool.
I ran a test yesterday (using Pool Master kit) and here are chemical numbers
- Total Chlorine: 5
- pH: 8.5
- Total Alkalinity - 50

I had a local pool company come in today to walk me through Pool 101 (equipment etc). We also chatted about pool chemical levels and the technician recommended to get the TA level up first by using baking soda and then work on pH levels.

Questions:
- From the little I have read so far, will adding baking soda increase my pH level drastically? Any other recommended chemicals?
- How do I get Chlorine level low? (for last 1 week i have not added any chlorine and chlorine floater are empty) (we get little sun at this time of year in Nortwest)
- Any other hints on getting started here

Pool Specs:
- Pool Size: 28000 gallons
- Above Ground Pool (plastered)
- Sand Filter
- 20 year old pool
- Round spa next to pool with water falling out of spa into pool (likely 2 feet drop)
- Location: North west (50 degrees with no sun and little rain here and there)

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

I would lower PH first, and then raise TA, but it doesn't make a huge difference either way. Baking soda will only raise the PH just a little bit.

The TC test you are using probably maxes out at 5, showing anything above 5 as 5. Sunlight (if you ever get any) will bring the FC level down in any outdoor pool reasonably well, you just haven't seen it coming down since the test showed the initially really high level as 5.

I strongly recommend getting a top quality test kit. It is impossible to tell what is really happening without good test results. The FAS-DPD chlorine test, included in all of the kits we recommend, will read FC levels up to 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.