Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum gauge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum gauge?

Looking for a vacuum gauge, preferably with about a 1' long flexible hose. Wanna use it for attaching to pump basket drain plug which, along with pressure gauge should give me what I need to figure total Head of a plumbing/piping setup.

Any ideas?
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vacuum gauge?

I bought a 30"hg-0-30psig Wika oil filled combination gauge. Just get a length of tubing and a couple of adapters from the local big box store and you're all set. Also, most auto part stores sell vacuum gauges with the hose already attached.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

By the time you get through hooking all that (tubing) mess up, you could have spun a vac gauge in, and have got your reading! Keep it simple. Using a hose may also require you to hold the contraption. With a simple bottom mount gauge your install is hands free!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

The bigger question to me is why you need to determine total head?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    The bigger question to me is why you need to determine total head?
    how-to-calculate-my-total-dynamic-head-loss-t11336.html
    Because I read this and now I am curious and it seems like an interesting exercise!

No particular reason other than 'because it is there...'
    20K gal, vinyl, 1 HP Challenger 2-spd pump, 300 lb sand filter, Raypak 266K BTU, 45M stenner pumpin' bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I completely understand that. Curiosity is what got me started in this area.

Also, if you are interested, I have a few tools available on my site labeled "Energy Efficient Swimming Pools" link in my sig. The operating point SS can be used to estimate flow rates and head loss just based on the filter pressure and a description of the plumbing but the pump list is somewhat limited. But of course the vacuum gauge will make the estimate much better.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater