Wooden Deck Stain/Paint with traction?

Aug 23, 2011
I built my deck last year and this Spring before opening I plan on painting or staining the deck. I was looking at that stuff deck restore at Home depot and thinking it may offer up a good amount of traction on the deck and the stairs. But the reviews have not been to favorable for it. So I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. I was thinking of just adding some of that silica sand ( I used it on my garage floor when I epoxied it) but not sure if that will be to rough. Any one else do something that worked well?

I did a lot of research on stains for my new pool fence, and ultimately came up with TWP 1500 series stain. Now I am using it on a fence, so traction is not an issue, but as far as I can tell by my research, the TWP seems to be one of the top brands, and you could either ask their recommendation for traction control, or use a product called "Shark Grip" to give you those anti-slip properties. They have a blog on their website as well. The stuff isn't cheap ($180.00 for 5 gallons).

On the stairs, I wouldn't bet the safety of friends/family on a chemical addition (Shark-Grip) - I've laid strips of adhesive-backed anti-slip tape. I use the stuff that is about 1.5 inches wide in two strips along the width of the stair tread. Or alternatively you can try the silica sand if that has worked for you in the past.

Best of luck and let us know what you ultimately decided.

Best,

Sciz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.