Pump Priming Issue?

jhalpinjr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2011
Warner Robins, GA
My Ecostar was replaced by a new one last week. the other died with less than a year of use :(

Anyways since they repalced the Motor (motor only replaced) the pump wil not prime fully. It is massively turbulent nothing like my other Ecostar. Ocassinallly I come home jsut to find it stuck on a prime cycle and I have to flip the breaker as the buttones lock out on the control.

The local PB is stronlgy beleiving there is a leak. Theve checked everywhere above ground- no leaks. I am concerned about their next move. Its just ironic, this happened with the new pump and the old one was fine.

heres a tid bit of info- If I put my spider vale to recirculate the pump rpimes fully and is perfect. In Filter, Backwash or Rinse the pump will pretty cavitate and not prime at all. Does this provide any more insight or possible clue?

Could they have doen somethign to the impeller?

Thnask in advance
- Jim

Bama Rambler said:
Once it primes in Recirc, what happens if you switch it back to filter?

Hi Bama :D

If I move it from Recirc, to Filter or backwash, rinse etc...it starts to cavitate.

Could the pressure be too high to overcome? in other words could the impeller be damaged from the motor swap and not moving enough volume or am I totally off base?

I guess Im not sure what plumbing (if plumbing issue exists) is part of the equation on recirc.

Its just odd all this after the motor swap.

Do you also have a waste setting? Wonder if it would stay primed there?

On recirc, the water goes into the multi-valve and right back out to the pool skipping the filter.

Seems like anything where the water is going through the filter (filter, backwash, rinse), you run into problems ... could something be blocked inside the filter / multi-valve (although not sure how that makes sense)? Did you take the top off the multi-valve and maybe put it back on incorrectly causing the settings to not be correct?

Very strange. I agree. I haven't touched the multivalve as far as any disassembly. PB Meeting me at house tonight. I will post updates.

As far as noise. The valve has always sounded like rocks rattling around inside. Even with old pump that worked fine.

There should not be any rattling coming from inside the multi-valve (is that the valve you are talking about)?

I would open it up and take a look what is going on in side.

jblizzle said:
There should not be any rattling coming from inside the multi-valve (is that the valve you are talking about)?

I would open it up and take a look what is going on in side.

They came they saw- they were defeated lol

PB is not sure. They are having me monitor the level of the water in the basket when the pump is OFF and looking to see if it drops. They took the multivalve apart and they told me these valves occasionally knock when air is in the system (sounds like stones rolling around)

They also took the Filter lid off and a big burp of water/air came out.

They believe this is all caused by massive amounts of air in the system that occurred during the two weeks the motor was removed and awaiting replacement (they took the motor before one was available)

Does any of this sound like solid logic to you?

Thank you.

jblizzle said:
Do you have an air release valve on the top of your filter? OR do you have the multi-valve on the top of the filter where there is no easy way to purge the air?

I do have an air release valve- my multivalve is side mount. I tried to purge what I thought was air before they came out by slightly unscrewing the valve and blow any air out while the filter was running. I did notice the small gasket is deformed. Is it possible that when the pump is off this could allow air to get back into the filter? It does not leak water when tightened and the pump is running.

Im confused :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is possible that it could be allow air back in.

So when you turn on the filter mode and open up the release valve, does air escape and then a stream of water? Once the air is out of the filter, the pump should not be able to "tell" whether you are on recirc or filter, other than slightly high pressure.

jblizzle said:
It is possible that it could be allow air back in.

So when you turn on the filter mode and open up the release valve, does air escape and then a stream of water? Once the air is out of the filter, the pump should not be able to "tell" whether you are on recirc or filter, other than slightly high pressure.

ALL of my issues with my Ecostar are now fixed. I finally had a Hayward Rep come out to my place and meet myself and the pool builder.
The results: Replumbed the two intake lines (skimmer and drain) Original Configuration had two 1 1/2" lines going into a 1 1/2" Tee fitting about 4" from the pump inlet.

New configuration: Both 1 1/2" intake lines now go into a 2" Tee followed by a 10" run of 2" line into the pump.
Problems solved.

Also interesting to note: the rep said the Ecostar will be reclassified into a commercial pump this year as the pump moves too much volume for residential sand filters and most Ecostar pump (residential) installations are not correct. He said the pressure are too high, unless people want to start using 400lb filters. They have release a a VSP version of the old venerable Super Pump.
Anyways for what its worth thats the story he told us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.