Laying sod

kyle11

May 17, 2012
Ok we installed a pool last year and need to get some sod down ASAP. I have been looking at how to prep the area but after reading all these different articles my head is spinning.

Here's the situation: Our yard is what I would call clay and small rocks. We had some top soil put aside last year to put down after everything was done but the concrete guy mixed it in when he was grading the area.

Here are my concerns.
1. The clay. It puddles in some spots but not a whole lot. I have read 10 pages of google results on this. Most say you must bring in 4-6 in of soil and till it into the clay. Then others swear it makes no difference and to just use gypsum for a few years. They say if you being in top soil it will make a valley under the soil even if tilled since the tiller can only go so deep. I really don't want to bring in new soil as it would put me above the concrete deck, so I would have to remove some before adding it. Big PITA when you have a wife that wanted grass last year.

2. Gravel. There is gravel in varying parts of the yard from the pool install. Do I have to pick out every single piece before laying sod? It is not deep in any spot just a few here and there.

I am not trying to cut any corners but if I can get some fairly decent looking grass on top of soil/clay/rock with a little more maintenance that's what I want.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Don't know where you live, but if you have the money, forget sod. I am tired of replacing sod and yes, to ensure success, most of the time, yup, you need to dig down have some good soil, blah, blah, blah....otherwise I will bet that unless you water the Crud out of that sod, it will die. Been there done that.

What I am looking at now is artificial turf. No, not the cheap green Crud you have seen most places. I am talking about the 3 to 4 to 5 dollar a square foot stuff that looks and feels like real grass. No more watering, no more mowing, fertilizing......nothing. Done properly there will be some digging involved for a proper base. I now know 3 people in the Oklahoma City metro area that have done this with their back yard. The ONLY part they didn't absolutely, positively enjoy about the whole thing was the expense. And I mean the only thing. Something to consider.

I have hard, red clay for 99% of my back yard. I may try just putting that stuff on top of the clay with little to no prep to see how it does. I hate mowing, fertilizing, watering and the grass in the pool (what little gets in there now).

With the cost of water only going up, I have looked at getting rid of as much grass as can be tolerated. Artificial turf as changed over the past few years. Look at some of the manufacturer sites. I wouldn't have considered it until our local TV station did a thing on it this past summer. I want to do my whole yard but I need to win the lottery first.

Bob E.

We really need to know your general location.

A lot of places around here is lain right on top of beach sand and it survives pretty well. Getting the right type grass and good fresh sod is the key to it surviving.

I would fill the low spots with a little sand and roll the sod on top of it. See if you can find a place that cuts their own sod and buy fresh cut from them. You may have to wait a few weeks to get fresh cut local sod but it'll be worth it in the long run. Coosa Valley Turf might be a good place to call.

So you would do rolled and not the squares? I have a place in Ohatchee which is about 10 miles from me that has centipede in square yard squares for $1.25 each. Also have a place about 30 miles away the has Bermuda for $85 a pallet of 500 sqft I believe. Which type do you think would do better in my conditions.

I hate Bermuda, durn stuff sprouts where any joint falls when you cut. Sprouts from seed and stem and fallen cuttings. Gets everywhere. Hate it.

Centipede is so nice, if it can stand up to the traffic and shade it may get.

If you want a beautiful drought tolerant lawn try zoysia- very hardy (cold or heat) only issue is its hard to find sod in this variety, usually comes in plugs and takes a long time to fill in (5-6years) my father in law put the plugs in and after 5 years it chocked all weeds and other grasses out. Very comfortable to walk or lay on and he never waters it. He lived on Lake Eufaula. (SE Oklahoma)

Safetybob said:
Don't know where you live, but if you have the money, forget sod. I am tired of replacing sod and yes, to ensure success, most of the time, yup, you need to dig down have some good soil, blah, blah, blah....otherwise I will bet that unless you water the **** out of that sod, it will die. Been there done that.

What I am looking at now is artificial turf. No, not the cheap green **** you have seen most places. I am talking about the 3 to 4 to 5 dollar a square foot stuff that looks and feels like real grass. No more watering, no more mowing, fertilizing......nothing. Done properly there will be some digging involved for a proper base. I now know 3 people in the Oklahoma City metro area that have done this with their back yard. The ONLY part they didn't absolutely, positively enjoy about the whole thing was the expense. And I mean the only thing. Something to consider.

I have hard, red clay for 99% of my back yard. I may try just putting that stuff on top of the clay with little to no prep to see how it does. I hate mowing, fertilizing, watering and the grass in the pool (what little gets in there now).

With the cost of water only going up, I have looked at getting rid of as much grass as can be tolerated. Artificial turf as changed over the past few years. Look at some of the manufacturer sites. I wouldn't have considered it until our local TV station did a thing on it this past summer. I want to do my whole yard but I need to win the lottery first.

Bob E.

We looked into artificial turf and if we had a smaller area I would defiantly go that route. We have right at 5000 sqft that need grass so I don't not think I would ever see the cost savings from it. Plus I wouldn't get to use my new zero turn mower as much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about the gravel. It is all over the yard along with smaller rocks that were from the dig. It is not like a gravel driveway but just scattered all over, some spots more than others. I know I will have to get up some in a few places but what about the pieces just spread out?

Got about half done this weekend. Man laying sod is back breaking work. Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

ybuzu4yp.jpg

esury7e5.jpg

gusy7yve.jpg

Wow, the yard looks great!
Not that it matters at this point, but I agree that a thin layer of sand under quality sod will suffice for a couple of years; home builders do it all the time. However, over time that clay-base seems to haunt us (rears its ugly head). I'm in SE Texas and the clay just doesn't seem to retain any water. My lawn is San Augustine grass (maybe what you all are calling centipede grass?). During a hard rain the water literally sheeted off out into the street with very little absorption.

I would suggest you build-up the sod; later this year or even spring of next year~after the sod begins to take hold. I used a mix from a local dirt yard; soil mix consisting of topsoil, sand and mulch (suggested by a landscaper friend). He suggested I lay it on about 3/4~1inch thick (10Ksqft = 8yd soil). I was a little worried with it being so thick~concerned it would smother the roots. He explained that the mulch portion (wood chunks) of the mix allowed a healthy air exchange. Even after a rain it stayed fairly "fluffy". He also suggested we "work the soil in" by lightly raking (weekly on the thicker spots) for about 3 weeks. Well, it's been about 19months and it worked out great; front yard looks wonderful. It definitely holds water much better, but the overall health (with light fertilizer) and color is excellent. My yard faired very well through the last major Texas drought with only light watering; my neighbors yards did not fair so well (one of them scheduled delivery today for 6yd of the same mix). My backyard is another story; totally destroyed last October by a new pool build :roll: we were lazy and threw lots of rye grass seed, I mean lots. Man, that stuff grows anywhere and on anything..and fast too! I'll be using the same mulch mix layer then laying sod over it in a few weeks. Anyway, good luck with the yard and enjoy the summer!

St. Augustine is a good grass but it requires more water and mowing than centipede does. It's also more prone to diseases than centipede is. Centipede will stand more cold but neither do well in freezing temps.

So it's been about 6 weeks since laying one side of our yard. I have not been able to get to the other side because it has rained to much towards the weekend or on the weekend every weekend since so it has been to wet for him to cut it. The sod is ready for the 1st cutting and I am wondering if my zero turn mower will mess it up? I do not have a push mower but I will buy one and push mow it if the zero turn has any chance of messing it up. It feels pretty rooted in in all spots and has really greened up. It will not pull up at any spot I tug on.

7anusegu.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.