Need help choosing an above ground pool

Mar 13, 2013
We are wanting to purchase an above ground pool. What brands are the best? and I have no clue what size to get. We will be using it for my daughter B-day party so I would like it to be big enough for 10-15 people to move around comfortably. Also we have a lab who likes to chew got one of those plastic intex pools last year didnt last long..lol. So we are wanting one that the dog can not mess up! Also our price range is anything under 600 if that helps any. Any other info you think might help me to would be greatly appriciated! :-D

Welcome to TFP :wave:

While I can't advise you on brand, I can tell you that size is dependent on size of property and how much water you are willing to maintain. The larger the pool, the more maintence that will come along with it, but if bather load is high and the number of swimmers you mention, I would be looking at a 27' round or larger. We have a 24' with 4 children and at times it feels too busy when their friends are over, let alone a b-day party.

Hope this helps some!

Intex makes a metal frame version (quite a few people have the ultra frame). For 600 you could check craigslist to see if anyone is selling any brand of above ground. Not sure if the ultra frame is offered bigger than 18'.

If you are indicating that the dog chewed on the pool, was it the ring on the Intex pool or was it along the side walls or base?

You might get by with what others have said with the metal framed (regular or Ultra) Intex if the dog likes to "jump" up on the edge of the pool. Our German Shepard occasionally does that when the kids start squirting her with the water guns. However, if your dog is a digger or is chewing on the base/sides......then you will want a metal sided pool which will require a much higher investment but perhaps will be much better in the long run.

Many folks here on the Above Ground Pools sub-forum have purchased and set up their own metal sided AGPs. Get one of these pools and you are committed to leaving it up all year long, you prepared for that? You might, and I mean might be able to get into a 18 foot metal framed pool for 7 to 800.....maybe. Web search if you haven't already for a 24 foot round metal sided pool. Make sure you are sitting down.......when you go to these types of AGPs, you are going into serious pool ownership.

With my metal framed Intex pools I have, it's easy to be done with it at a moments notice with all this pool stuff, not so with a big, expensive metal sided pool. And for the record......looking at those metal sided pools.

Craigslist is an excellent way to pick up a pool on a budget. Just beware you may (and I would) need to replace the liner, but certainly the metal walls, ect should be good but still may need some attention before installed again. I most instances around here (think Oklahoma City metro area) I can find at least two pool for "free" if I come get them. It would be worth the time to grab some freinds and a pickup and get one of those.....

Bob E.

pool for "free" if I come get them. It would be worth the time to grab some freinds and a pickup and get one of those.....

This is how I got mine. :party: Involves some sweat equity though and still not done with all the landscaping and deck work. :whip:

I got mine in the KC MO area, using Search Tempest and a large radius. I found several but has to pass as I couldn't get to them before they were gone. The one I got I'd tried contacting about 3 weeks before and hadn't gotten a response. Then tried again and it was still available. I had to replace the liner of course, and replace the seal and impeller in the pump, otherwise everything is good. I got everything pool related they had, toys, tools, ladder, chemicals and a large rubbermaid pool box.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.