New Indoor Pool Owner - ok to use chlorine at 84 degrees?

LL

Mar 13, 2013
We recently bought a home that had been in foreclosure with an inground indoor pool. Everything is up and running, my alkalinity and PH are almost in line. I am confused when it comes to using the chlorine though.

I've done a lot of reading and talked with 3 pool companies who have all told me something different. I am more confused than when I started asking this question!

Can I use chlorine in my indoor pool when it is heated to 82 to 84 degrees? The first company (who also sold me the chlorine supplies and my Hayward in-line feeder) said chlorine is what I need. The second company told me to switch to bromine b/c of the warmer temperature. The third told me the chlorine is just fine - just turn my pool down to 76 degrees. (If i do that, no one will swim in it, so it would technically be very safe!)

I have about a year's supply of chlorine, so I would prefer to use what I have - but not at the cost of having an unsafe unsanitized pool.

Please help!

Re: New Indoor Pool Owner - ok to use chlorine at 84 degrees

84 is actually a little on the cool side for many people. Mine runs closer to 88 most of the summer. Chlorine will be fine. Bromine only gains an advantage in spas.

Thanks - I don't understand why the answers are all different depending on who I was talking to. The guy who told me to switch to bromine told me chloring stops working at 78 degrees! I didn't see anything like that in any reading materials or other websites. I know of the concerns with chlorine is the chloramine since I am indoors, but we have a a ventilator being installed which should help with that part.

Chlorine doesn't stop working at any reasonable temperature. There are plenty of people who use it in spa's at 100+ degrees. However, chlorine does tend to break down at higher temperatures. As the temperature goes up you start losing a little chlorine just because the water is warm/hot. At spa temperatures this is enough to encourage some people to switch to bromine, even though it is still manageable, but at pool temperatures it isn't a big deal at all.

Now that you've found out that chlorine works just fine, you have another issue! :( Sorry to say it but the guy that sold you the chlorine supplies didn't do you any favors, especially with an indoor pool. I bet he sold you Trichlor and that will raise your CYA which you need very little of in an indoor pool. Since you already have it, unless you can return it, you might as well use it, but be sure to read the site here about maintaining your pool and you'll have to periodically drain some water from your pool to keep the CYA down. Once you've used most of it up you can switch to liquid or get a swg for your pool.

Thanks - I don't understand why the answers are all different depending on who I was talking to.
Happens all the time. Unfortunately, there are many, many people in the pool business who don't have the proper knowledge.

This forum is so busy because, as pool owners with some experience, we DO have the proper knowledge to get you pointed down the right path.

Bama rambler is right about your chlorine source. They shouldn't have sold you that.

I WILL be label checking when i get home. Right now my CYA is barely registering, so hopefully that will help.

LL, glad you have finally figured out pool stores are in business........I only go to my local pool store to get blow up toys for the little kids, that's it. Don't need them anymore.

If you can bring some of that back so be it, perhaps a neighbor or craigslist may be of help getting rid of it if you want to play with it.

I run my pool, which is small as pools go, between 89 and 90 degrees. While I am rambling on, do you have a "good" test kit like the TF-100 recommended here? Proper chemical levels are going to be the key to keeping that indoor pool perfect and enjoyable for all to use. I will just come out and say it.....get one if you don't have one. It's really that important. It's accuracy will save you alot of time and money in the end.

Nothing like jumping in a warm pool!!

Bob E.

I ordered my TF-100 test kit yesterday. I have found a store which will test my water for FC/TC - going there this afternoon.

I expect they will tell me to shock-it. If so, should I use straight liquid bleach, rather than the Super Shock-It I have (calcium hypochlorite)?

And yes, I have Tri-chlor to get rid of! My friend has an outdoor pool - it sounds like this is more appropriate for her?

Thank you for the great start-up help and guides!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You really just want enough CYA that you can actually test for it 20-30ppm is plenty ... actually, I think you can use less, but the test only goes down to 20, so it is hard to be sure where you are at.

I would not start adding anything until you have the test kit (likely only be a couple days) and do a full set of tests. The cal-hypo will add calcium which can be bad if you are already high. Throwing in liquid chlorine blindly not knowing your CYA, etc is just a wast of money as you may require replacing water first any way.

And there are spas at 104ºF where chlorine also works fine. Yes, the loss rate is greater at higher temperatures, but in hot spas with no ozonator it's still only around 25% of the FC lost over 24 hours with no bather load (so at 4 ppm FC that's losing 1 ppm or at 2 ppm FC that's losing 0.5 ppm). With an ozonator that can easily double because ozone and chlorine react with each other. An ozonator only makes sense when one uses a spa every day or two since in that case the ozone oxidized much of the bather waste so that chlorine doesn't have to and in that case it lowers the chlorine usage roughly in half.

Chlorine is what you need. Pretty straight forward from here. Make sure you read the forum stickys, as they will teach you a lot and get you pointed in the right direction!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.