Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test/Change SW cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

Test/Change SW cell?

I have an in-ground 14,000 gallon pool with an American Pool Supply System salt water generating system, model PSC 3, with a Resilience A5 salt cell. The system, I believe, is about 5 years old and worked property when I bought the house--about 1 year ago--until about 4 months ago. At that time the salt cell started getting calcified every time within a week of cleaning. Also, if I clean the cell, the maximum output will only go to 10%.

I tried to have the cell tested at the local pool stores but they say they either don't do the testing, or they only test different brands. So, I called the manufacturer and they said the only way to tell if the cell is going out is to see if some of the plates are shorter or thinner, that their cell cannot be test. They also said if it were a panel issue, and not a cell issue, there would not be any lights showing on the panel. (I checked the cell and one of the plates that gets calcified rapidly is about 1/4" shorter than the others).

That all seems to make sense to me but I just want to make sure I'm being told the right information before spending several hundred dollars on a replacement cell.

Thanks....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test/Change SW cell?

I'd be concerned about the scaling issue. Can you post a full list of pool chemistry test results?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I normally do my own testing but I was going to Leslies yesterday so I took a water sample and had them analyze it. The chlorine is a bit high since I broadcast some a couple of days ago; overall, the chemistry has been stable over the last few weeks.

4. Back To Top    #4

I am sure that some others will chime in, but you really need to raise your CYA level. Most SWCG manufacturers recommend at least 60 ppm. This will help keep your chlorine levels up and lower the load on your cell.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would not trust anything in that print out ... especially CYA (pool stores seem to be the worst at this test). Test the water for yourself and post the results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

any cell can be tested, you just need a proper test bench to simulate the SWG model it came from.

i'd try finding someone who has the same system (or sells them) and ask them to try your cell on it